Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

For the thread on the 20th AFL team, but I just don’t think Canberra will be Team 20, with WA3 and NT/NA having better chances due to various reasons (which I don’t necessarily agree with). I think the current situation, supplemented by Victorian teams selling away Giants games to Manuka is the way to go, although I just can’t see at this stage how the finances for this will work.
I’d say this is very much. Part of a thread about the success or failure of the club and not just a 20th team thread.

I was all for the Greater in the beginning, something different to the usual, but now would be happy to see us drop Greater. Plus it wouldn’t hurt the song, ive sung it and it still works.
Don’t think this name change is going to happen. Since 2018, the club has been branding itself as GIANTS rather than Greater Western Sydney. A question was asked in relation to this at a member meeting to our CEO, and I recall Matthews saying that the club was using GIANTS as that appeals to a broader base.

Not necessarily.
Sponsorship and I would say it’s more the community’s support of the sport.
You have the right to your opinion, but this is more than sponsorship. The current agreement with the Giants will continue to at least 2032, irrespective of your opinion, and there is no move to change this status quo by the club, our ACT Government or the AFL.

Despite the result I had a great time at the Giants/Hawks game last weekend.

We stayed in a hotel across the road and combining the feel inside the stadium and everybody walking around the suburbs in footy gear beforehand, it had a real Gather Round feel to it. I was fortunate enough to see a game at Norwood this year and it had a similar vibe. The weather certainly helped to be fair.

Giants fans are unique though. Don't look like they give a stuff unless the team is winning/almost winning. It got very loud when the winning goal was slammed through but that was the only time all day.
It must be a stress-free way of enjoying footy. Only caring when you're winning.

Don’t think this name change is going to happen. Since 2018, the club has been branding itself as GIANTS rather than Greater Western Sydney. A question was asked in relation to this at a member meeting to our CEO, and I recall Matthews saying that the club was using GIANTS as that appeals to a broader base.
Which is stupid and something only a corporate could think up, why do they think even the most professional leagues in the world havent done this? NBA, NFL, Premier League etc etc No "The's".
Wether we stay as Greater Western Sydney or drop Greater so we are just Western Sydney, we have to keep our location in our name. The whatevers doesn't work. There's a reason why even here every profession footy club in AFL, NRL and SR changed back to their names from "we appeal to everyone 'The". Kangaroos, Bullodog (NRL), Sharks(NRL), every SR club.
Only one left is new club the Dolphins who are called Redcliffe by their own fans (and opposition) and I cant see them sticking with "The" for long.

You have the right to your opinion, but this is more than sponsorship. The current agreement with the Giants will continue to at least 2032, irrespective of your opinion, and there is no move to change this status quo by the club, our ACT Government or the AFL.
As i said, nothing is ever concrete, and yes its sponsorship.

As i said, nothing is ever concrete, and yes its sponsorship.
Whatever…by your nothing is concrete logic, the Giants are just as likely to be moved to Canberra. And regardless of your opinion about it being just a sponsorship, the club and our CEO have reiterated multiple times that the Giants are Canberra’s AFL team. Please feel free to tilt at the windmills about the 3 AFL/2 AFLW annual games agreement being changed before 2032, when as repeatedly stated the club, the ACT government and the AFL are fine with the status quo, and the community shows support by having sellout crowds.

Whatever…
🤣
by your nothing is concrete logic, the Giants are just as likely to be moved to Canberra.
100% they are. Concerning considering. Would show the AFL are full of shit.
And regardless of your opinion about it being just a sponsorship, the club and our CEO have reiterated multiple times that the Giants are Canberra’s AFL team.
They are salesmen and promoters. ACT are paying for the games and the shirt back.
Please feel free to tilt at the windmills about the 3 AFL/2 AFLW annual games agreement being changed before 2032, when as repeatedly stated the club, the ACT government and the AFL are fine with the status quo, and the community shows support by having sellout crowds.
I will continue to discuss it in relevant threads. If you dont like the discussion, as your only add has been to point at the contract and say no can do, then maybe dont enter the discussion

Giants fans are unique though. Don't look like they give a stuff unless the team is winning/almost winning. It got very loud when the winning goal was slammed through but that was the only time all day.
It must be a stress-free way of enjoying footy. Only caring when you're winning.

I don't speak for all Canberrans there, but I would say that's because the majority of people you saw in Giants merch weren't primarily Giants fans.

Canberrans buy memberships, wear the merch (which often comes with the memberships), but aren't as invested as a full-time fanbase.

Despite the result I had a great time at the Giants/Hawks game last weekend.

We stayed in a hotel across the road and combining the feel inside the stadium and everybody walking around the suburbs in footy gear beforehand, it had a real Gather Round feel to it. I was fortunate enough to see a game at Norwood this year and it had a similar vibe. The weather certainly helped to be fair.

because they are mostly neutrals going to see a game, the ACT region loves the sport.

Guys guys. Chill. Chill
We wont get a 20th team
19 teams is perfect and will be perfect for fixturing, rolling byes, Thursday night footy each week. You’ll find its all media types who say with team 19 on the way when and who is team 20. Its all for clicks and content.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they’ve played there once since 2006. And that was 10 years ago.
Exactly my point.

It's only a matter of time before GWS stops playing games here and once they do almost all the kids that're Giants fans now will lose interest just like the kids that were Roos fans 20 years ago did.

The same thing happens every time a team takes the money to play games here. From North Melbourne and Footscray to the Illawarra Hawks and Mariners in other sports, they have a spike in popularity while they're playing games and marketing here, particularly amongst primary school aged kids, and all that support dies out almost overnight once the team stops coming back.

Exactly my point.

It's only a matter of time before GWS stops playing games here and once they do almost all the kids that're Giants fans now will lose interest just like the kids that were Roos fans 20 years ago did.

The same thing happens every time a team takes the money to play games here. From North Melbourne and Footscray to the Illawarra Hawks and Mariners in other sports, they have a spike in popularity while they're playing games and marketing here, particularly amongst primary school aged kids, and all that support dies out almost overnight once the team stops coming back.

GWS won’t stop playing there. They’ll play Canberra there.

Guys guys. Chill. Chill
We wont get a 20th team
19 teams is perfect and will be perfect for fixturing, rolling byes, Thursday night footy each week. You’ll find its all media types who say with team 19 on the way when and who is team 20. Its all for clicks and content.
Not sure if you are serious or not….. 🤣

If you don’t understand the difference between North’s relationship with Canberra, and the relationship between Canberra and Giants, then there’s not much point discussing this
There is no difference between the two.

Both are built on exactly the same building blocks of the clubs being offered a financial incentive to play games at Manuka. The North deal fell apart once the GC, and later Tasmania, came along offering a better deal than the ACT was willing to match, and sooner or later the GWS deal will breakdown as well.

I'm sorry, but you're straight up delusional if you truly believe that GWS is playing games in Canberra for any reason other than the money, or that they'd continue to play games here if that financial incentive dried up.

GWS won’t stop playing there. They’ll play Canberra there.
I don't think an ACT side is a given, but sure, and in that case I guarantee that almost every single one of those kids who is nominally a Giants fan will have swapped teams to the Canberra side within a few years once it's the Canberra side showing up to schools and doing the marketing and engagement for the AFL in the city.

Again, that's what happens every time we get a new local team.

I don't think an ACT side is a given, but sure, and in that case I guarantee that almost every single one of those kids who is nominally a Giants fan will have swapped teams to the Canberra side within a few years once it's the Canberra side showing up to schools and marketing in the city.

Again, the same thing happens every time we get a new team.
Hmmm I don’t know about that. All the fans of AFL in Western Sydney didn’t automatically drop their team for the Giants, I don’t think it’s 100 percent it’ll happen for tassie or Canberra as well, but over time you grow that support. If you are 100% in on home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back