Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have much preferred Dogs v Saints. A genuine rivalry.

I think that would be a better fit. Kangaroos got the gig because James Brayshaw would have had a fit if they were not given the slot

St Kilda I think can generate a crowd and Dogs could complement it. Blues think prefer to keep opening Thursday match against Tigers and it's worked well for many years. Kangaroos might be able to make it work so I think AFL should trie these 2 teams for at least 2 years to see if not only can generate a crowd but ratings too

There are other opportunities for St Kilda to find a game, just have to be proactive enough to find a concept that works (pride game might be it). Dreamtime at the 'G relies only on a Saturday night timeslot. Teams just have to start thinking outside the box a bit more, because now that good Friday is gone, there's no more public holidays left to use.
St Kilda did think outside the "box", they already have that gay pride game.

Is there a chance for the two teams to make it a 'home' game and share the gate? Make it a home game on each clubs memberships to guarantee a big crowd, raise money for the hospital and make a huge event out of it.

It's a shame they couldn't make it a permanent fixture for the two clubs - North basically pioneered Friday night football in the 90's and the Dogs barely get a sniff at any stand-alone games. The Dogs are coming into what could be a dynasty (or at least a sustained tilt at the flag) on the back of a historic GF win, so it would be a good way to reward them for form.

On the game itself, Dogs are clearly favourites, even this far out. North might slide a bit next year, so on paper it might not be the best game. We'll see how the teams start the year.

If they do rotate it, then West Coast vs Freo in the new stadium would be a cracker in 2018 (unless there are plans to play the derby in the first game of the season there).

Saints vs Dogs in a couple of years might be a good match-up if St Kilda keep improving or even Melbourne. One of the smaller Melbourne clubs over the usual beneficiaries would be my preference.

I would've liked to see Adelaide vs Port. But I'll watch this.
I would have watched anything.
Absolutely anything.

Hope these two teams grab hold of it though.

I'm a little bit worried about the crowd as I think these two teams should fill Etihad every time they play (they never go near it). It should always be promoted as a local Derby. Members from both teams should always have access.

So long as Tv ratings are big though it should be fine. Like I said - I've always just wanted a game to watch on TV ( after I've come home from mass of course ;))

Is there a chance for the two teams to make it a 'home' game and share the gate? Make it a home game on each clubs memberships to guarantee a big crowd, raise money for the hospital and make a huge event out of it.

It's a shame they couldn't make it a permanent fixture for the two clubs - North basically pioneered Friday night football in the 90's and the Dogs barely get a sniff at any stand-alone games. The Dogs are coming into what could be a dynasty (or at least a sustained tilt at the flag) on the back of a historic GF win, so it would be a good way to reward them for form.

On the game itself, Dogs are clearly favourites, even this far out. North might slide a bit next year, so on paper it might not be the best game. We'll see how the teams start the year.

If they do rotate it, then West Coast vs Freo in the new stadium would be a cracker in 2018 (unless there are plans to play the derby in the first game of the season there).

Saints vs Dogs in a couple of years might be a good match-up if St Kilda keep improving or even Melbourne. One of the smaller Melbourne clubs over the usual beneficiaries would be my preference.

I think AFL need least give these 2 teams a few years to see if can make it work
My issue is not having 2 teams that are in similar cycles playoff to make the game entertaining but if can do it over 2-3 years and see growth in the event it will be a success

It's like Port vs Lions. Would you switch on the TV to watch that? But possibly a good Bulldogs team that were Premiers recently might have people wanting to switch on the television. Agree right now Stk vs Dogs would be nicer to watch

St Kilda did think outside the "box", they already have that gay pride game.

And we'll see if that catches on. Still, it's a risky move, because once a player does come out, the AFL will start scheduling their club on any such games and St Kilda will possibly need to find a new one.

If we can sell it out then us and the dogs deserve to keep it.
Season opener gets 80plus, Anzac Day 90plus, Dreamtime 70plus - fair enough these clubs keep these slots as their members show up.
If we get over 45,000 to this at Etihad it's a success.

Supprters of both clubs will rock up. It's hilarious to assume that North and the dogs won't market memberships off the back of the Good Friday fixture.

What annoys me is Collingwood and Essendon own Anzac, Melbourne and Collingwood own Queens, Carlton and Richmond own the opening game, and even Geelong Hawthorn own Easter Monday.

Yet North who have lobbied this for 25 years get told it's being rotated.

Either lock in North and Bulldogs for a minimum of 5 years to make it what they want or release all the above fixtures to other clubs.

You can't have it both ways.

I think that would be a better fit. Kangaroos got the gig because James Brayshaw would have had a fit if they were not given the slot

St Kilda I think can generate a crowd and Dogs could complement it. Blues think prefer to keep opening Thursday match against Tigers and it's worked well for many years. Kangaroos might be able to make it work so I think AFL should trie these 2 teams for at least 2 years to see if not only can generate a crowd but ratings too
I don't think anyone takes Brayshaw seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What annoys me is Collingwood and Essendon own Anzac, Melbourne and Collingwood own Queens, Carlton and Richmond own the opening game, and even Geelong Hawthorn own Easter Monday.

Yet North who have lobbied this for 25 years get told it's being rotated.

Either lock in North and Bulldogs for a minimum of 5 years to make it what they want or release all the above fixtures to other clubs.

You can't have it both ways.

Pretty simple answer, fill the bloody seats and they will lock it in.

Should be more than one game and if there's only one it should be on at night. In any case, this news is a definite improvement on the long status quo. All the people who pretend Good Friday is sacred can shove it :)

So 30 years after the VFL went national there is not 1 marquee game on the football calendar still that involves a side outside of Victoria.
Now that is what you call growing the game nationally.

Yes I did have a wry smile when this was announced...ultra surprised I was...

The VFL still alive and well

So 30 years after the VFL went national there is not 1 marquee game on the football calendar still that involves a side outside of Victoria.
Now that is what you call growing the game nationally.

The Western Derby and the Showdown are marquee matches are they not?

7 weren't going to move the appeal out of prime time for the football. It's probably been the biggest obstacle in actually scheduling this game, the AFL aren't concerned with offending bible thumpers, it's about what their broadcast partner wanted.

Doesn't explain why they didn't fixture a game 2002-2006.

I'm just going to leave this post from 2010 here...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/we-need-football-on-good-friday.688755/#post-17280663

yes we definitely need football on Good Friday. Absolutely.

Further, I believe North Melbourne need to be rewarded for their persistence with the fixture. I think getting everyone to turn up to training today was genius. The only question in my mind is who they should play.

As long as it's another Vic club that's not Collingwood, Essendon Carlton or Richmond, as they have enough Blockbuster games.

I'd reward the Dogs for coming so far over the last decade. North V Bulldogs on Good Friday? I'd like to see that :thumbsu:

Edit: I also like the idea above of an interstate game on as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back