Review Good night season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it that middle of the road Melbourne based clubs can suddenly find all the right answers? Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and even though it is early days it looks like Hawthorn and Carlton have suddenly moved from 'also rans' to contenders in 2022. in the case of Hawthorn and Carlton a new coach appears to be part of the deal. Maybe there is a message there for Mr Sunrise, David Koch?

These days I find myself sitting watching Melbourne, Hawthorn and Carlton play and think to myself why can't Port play like that? These teams actually focus on moving the ball downfield to a leading player rather than playing a possession based game handballing around in circles and kicking across ground. Of course it gets back to Hinkley's outdated game plan. Hinkley's game plan is similar to the one used by Mick Malthouse when he coached Collingwood to it's last premiership in 2010. Hinkley picked it up when he started coaching and the plan has not changed save for an enlightened season in 2014.

It is hard to fathom what happened in 2015 and how we reverted from the fast direct style of 2014 to our current convoluted game plan but I think Sleezy may be on the money as 2015 coincides with the time Phil Walsh left and Hinkley was on his own.
I find myself looking at Carlton, Melbourne etc and thinking we don’t have players. I don’t think it’s only the coach - apart from Ollie & maybe SPP where are our big bodied midfielders? Without Charlie we end up with 3 forwards who are pushed off the ball all night. Without Alir we cant find an intercepting defender. Sadly, we don’t have the depth/talent and next week when we get thrashed by the cows they’ll be completely mentally shot.

I find myself looking at Carlton, Melbourne etc and thinking we don’t have players. I don’t think it’s only the coach - apart from Ollie & maybe SPP where are our big bodied midfielders? Without Charlie we end up with 3 forwards who are pushed off the ball all night. Without Alir we cant find an intercepting defender. Sadly, we don’t have the depth/talent and next week when we get thrashed by the cows they’ll be completely mentally shot.

We intercepted fine last week.

The forwards sucked last week, both groups were poor this week.

Forwards can’t contest and then there’s no pressure on the ball coming out of our 50.

Hawthorn kicked 55pts from defensive transition alone, that’s ludicrous.

I still can't get over the Skinner thing. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to draft him should be sacked on the spot. I am flabbergasted that someone with that little ability could make it onto an AFL list and then actually get picked to play. Literally what the hell.

Pump the brakes lol it's round 2 plenty of time to turn around the tug boat ...

We need to change a fair bit tbh

But let's not go commit Harakiri just That performance last night against a team that was bottom 3 was as bad as you can get and I sat through those days of 165 point flogging. There was nothing positive and for a game that meant so much to the club and supporters, We serve up that bollocks. It’s going to take a massive turnaround just to make the 8 now.

I still can't get over the Skinner thing. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to draft him should be sacked on the spot. I am flabbergasted that someone with that little ability could make it onto an AFL list and then actually get picked to play. Literally what the hell.

The way he was being talked up both internally and externally, I was expecting to see the next Aliir last night.

What I saw instead was post-injury Jarred Redden

Last edited:
Pardon the interruption. My mob made Finals after an infamous Owen-6 start in 2017.

All is by no means lost for PAFC. Every decent team chucks in a diabolical performance every now and then. You guys have had yours. Even missing Allir, Dixon and others, Port have had yours. Better times ahead.
You weren't coached by a potato.

Also agree on the comments about Sin

Very concerned.

I can understand low possession numbers and game time but I'm still waiting for him to show anything that is AFL potential.
Yeh, looked a dear in the headlights all night. Feedback from the club is he is quick. I didn't like the way he moved, didn't look quick & lacked class. Was very surprised & disappointed.

He really hangs his hat on the stats doesn’t he? Is he yet to realise that Football is too chaotic of a sport to be so 1 dimensional in your approach to a match? over reliance on the plan without any awareness of the fact that sometimes you just have to switch it up a bit and let the players play their natural game is part of the reason why we’ve crumbled so many times in the big games in recent years, He’s suffocating our squad! He needs to free up our players a bit and let their natural football instincts kick in at times. It explains why so many of our promising young players start off so well only to turn into shadows of their former selves after a few years under Ken
This. They are over coached by this idiot. No instinctive play at all. The whole team looks cooked & it's R2.

It’s well known that Ken is lazy and does not work hard. Assistant coaches turn over like pins in 10 pin bowling and hate working for him. He has never taken accountability for the football system/program- he dodges responsibility like a car salesman who sells a lemon. The club appoints the assistants while he is betting on greyhounds. It is a heist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Sinn will turn out ok, but I'm not sure why he needed to land at Port at any cost. Has any club paid so much to go up a few picks in the draft?

If we thought he'd provide some run and carry for our premiership tilt (lol), that has gone to shit already.
I love sinn, I think he’s every chance to become a very good or excellent player, but giving up a future 2nd rounder (as well as what we got for Ladhams) has potential to handcuff us badly going forward

We are facing a horrific year where we will have 1 top 40/50 draft pick in the draft to improve our side / address personnel issues.

And if the rumours are true that luko wants to come to port then gcs will fleece us of all of next years picks as well.

Pardon the interruption. My mob made Finals after an infamous Owen-6 start in 2017.

All is by no means lost for PAFC. Every decent team chucks in a diabolical performance every now and then. You guys have had yours. Even missing Allir, Dixon and others, Port have had yours. Better times ahead.
So we should hope to make an irrelevant finals series, keep Ken at the helm, and avoid top draft picks, again? Those would be better times?

This season has more promise than we have had since 2018 in terms of actually getting us the changes needed to win our next flag.

There's no denying that Sinn was horrific but it's one game and what a terrible game to debut in. Give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he has next week.
Should have been playing in the SANFL trial the week before. He had played, what half a game in a month after 2 years of covid interrupted limited footy ?

True but at least your coach at that point already had a premiership and 3 grand final appearances. Ken has... 2 COTY awards, yay...

An 0 - 6 start would mount pressure on the club so intense that the board would need to be forced to make a decision or risk attendances completely dropping off the map for the remainder of the season.

There's no denying that Sinn was horrific but it's one game and what a terrible game to debut in. Give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he has next week.
I wasn’t commenting on Sinns performance if that is directed at me (and I haven’t really seen anyone taking issue with him unless I’ve missed it)

What I have taken issue with is our trading team going all in on a player at the detriment to future draft picks. A decision which will bite us on the ass this year as I’ve pointed out we are in line to get 1 top 40/50 draft pick in a year we will suck.

An 0 - 6 start would mount pressure on the club so intense that the board would need to be forced to make a decision or risk attendances completely dropping off the map for the remainder of the season.
Unfortunately thats about the only thing that will have any impact, its clear there isn't a real drive or want for success at board or administration level. Being around the mark, playing a few finals, good attendance, membership and making money is good enough.

People voting with their feet, not turning up and not buying their memberships is probably the only thing the club will see and thats not really what we want. We desperately need passionate, competitive Port Adelaide people at board level. But they wont last long before Kochie white ants them.

You weren't coached by a potato.

Nope. We were coached by Horse in his full mulish mode. We were sharing (truthfully it was me) Italian recipes for Horsey. A number of Bloods fans were opposed to his contract extension.

Took ages but eventually the penny dropped for the Club and Horse himself that the coaching team needed people with tactical nous. Enter McVeigh and Pyke - both highly cerebral types.

Horse is good at day to day people management and most players seem to love him and that is what he concentrates on it seems.

Maybe Hinkley is worse and the position proves not recoverable. That is for you folk and PAFC to decide.

Hayes need to play. Ken needs to retire to a very nice home in the Vic countryside. The club needs to spend on a coaching panel. No one wants Marshall to succeed more than me but he's not an AFL footballer

Nope. We were coached by Horse in his full mulish mode. We were sharing (truthfully it was me) Italian recipes for Horsey. A number of Bloods fans were opposed to his contract extension.

Took ages but eventually the penny dropped for the Club and Horse himself that the coaching team needed people with tactical nous. Enter McVeigh and Pyke - both highly cerebral types.

Horse is good at day to day people management and most players seem to love him and that is what he concentrates on it seems.

Maybe Hinkley is worse and the position proves not recoverable. That is for you folk and PAFC to decide.
Just on this, I wouldn't be opposed to us bringing in Pyke as coach. Probably won't happen because of the shit he would cop from the SA media and Crows fans, but he has the tactical nous to make us look a lot better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good night season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back