Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, it's the morning after and the overwhelming feeling is just sadness. I can see in the light of day that Collingwood were just the better side. Too many of our players weren't at their best and too many of their's were at their best. Yes, some umpiring decisions went against us in the dying stages but we shouldn't have been relying on that when we gave away that 50m penalty, which I suspect Jarrod Berry will mull over for the entire off-season, and I feel so, so sorry for him.

Questions need to asked as to why they were able to have a shot on goal twice after the siren. Those are absolute coach and momentum killers. At that stage of quarters we need to be able to shut the game down and just wait out the siren.

I thought Dunkley did a superb job on JDG, but nothing was going to stop that absolute monster of a goal of his in the last just after Charlie's goal. He is a big game player, and I fear we are missing one of those if we are to take the next step.

IMO, the 4pt margin is quite flattering for us, especially when they kicked 12.18. All the discussion leading up to the game as to where their goals were coming from... my god did some pundits get that wrong.

Rayner is such an odd one. Promises so much, has some outstanding games and then goes missing when we need him the most. The mind boggles why he was put at half back late in quarters, took possession and handed it straight back to the Pies. But he's not alone, so many of our players had absolute shockers.

Kiddy needs to work on his fitness over the off and pre-season. Unacceptable that he wasn't able to run out the game.

I will never, ever watch this game again, but it is quite enjoyable to watch the crowd in the videos the Lions have posted of our goals. Props to all the Victorian and travelling fans, they were loud and proud.

Edit: We need to play more games at the MCG. I don't read anything in to the MCG hoodoo but if the AFL are intent on playing the GF there every single year and continuing to have a lopsided competition then we need to ask for more games at that venue.

Last edited:

Looking at Collingwoods list , they have a few older players but their core group is pretty young . Coached by our ex Lion they are going to be up there for a few years yet . Unfortunately .
We battled hard all day , no one is to blame , hard to admit they were too good on the day .
Credit to our boys to keep fighting it out till the very end .
Very sad today , but also very proud .
Going to hurt for a while .

Just can't help but obsessively thinking about if we're going to be there next year or not. I really hope this isn't the end of our window and the hurt of losing a flag by under a goal motivates us to be back there in 12 months.

I’ll discipline cost us. Two 50 metre penalties and charlie stupidly giving away a downfield when we had them pinned in their half. We have been ill disciplined over the journey but had been better lately until yesterday.

Just can't help but obsessively thinking about if we're going to be there next year or not. I really hope this isn't the end of our window and the hurt of losing a flag by under a goal motivates us to be back there in 12 months.
I hope so, because god help us when the Gabba is knocked down :cry:

Looking at Collingwoods list , they have a few older players but their core group is pretty young . Coached by our ex Lion they are going to be up there for a few years yet . Unfortunately .
We battled hard all day , no one is to blame , hard to admit they were too good on the day .

Most of their midfield is OLD though - Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Mitchell

Respectfully disagree. This was the chance for the Pies to grab one with this group, second oldest list in the comp with a heap of our best players 30 and over.

You guys on the other hand have a young list profile and will challenge for a number of years with this group.

Cracker of a game, congratulations on a great season Brissie.

And unfortunately they will always be able to attract high calibre players that want to play for them so even if their older players retire, they’ll find it very easy bringing in new players from other clubs. We’ve done exceptionally well on that front in recent years but it’s still a sell to get players to want to leave Melbourne not to mention they and the likes of Carlton also have this added bonus of third party sponsorships and jobs for their partners that we can’t match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll discipline cost us. Two 50 metre penalties and charlie stupidly giving away a downfield when we had them pinned in their half. We have been ill disciplined over the journey but had been better lately until yesterday.
That Charlie free was in the contest and should not have been paid

Rayner needs to spend the next 6 months on a treadmill. He’s shown more than enough through the year that he would be an absolute force to be reckoned with in the middle, but he can’t sustain it.

If he gets fit we play him in the middle where he belongs and honestly that goes a long way to helping our issue today

I'm an intentionally accredited middle and long distance running coach.

What I learnt is that elite endurance athletes and 'naturally skinny' people have abnormally high mitochondrial function. On a cellular level, they burn fat and create atp for energy super fast.

People who gain weight and muscle easily have slow mitochondria function.

Someone like Cam can optimize their endurance but can't change that base function. Never going to be a run all day athlete. Will be best when used in bursts for strength and power.

If anyone needs a reality check, please watch Fagan's press conference.

Thought he summed up what didn't go as well as we hoped very accurately. Liked that he mentioned metres from clearances but the quality of clearances was probably the most influential part of the game

Thought Joe was awesome yesterday. He’s had a career best season and topped it off with great game against Moore.

McCarthy was good too. Majority of our forwards had their moments. We just lost the midfield battle. Mitchell and Pendlebury in particular were a bit cleaner in stoppage situations.

Our wings also didn’t get involved as much as theirs. This game was always going to hinge on us taking it to them in the midfield. Every time we went forward we looked like scoring but we just didn’t get enough quality supply from either centre clearance or the back half.

Our reaction to defend wasn’t as good as theirs and this cost us late in quarters. The Crisp goal on half time was a classic case. From my position at the ground you could see he reacted a lot quicker than our player to how the play was unfolding.

Didn’t play Bobby Hill right at all. Needed to be more tightly marked. When ‘we’ had the ball he would get free once we moved forward. So on our cheap turnovers he often had 15 to 20 meters on his direct opponent. We were never back shoulder on him. The one time Starcevich was he out marked him in the last qtr.

Despite all this we won two quarters and tied the last I’m pretty sure. Which was an amazing effort when we weren’t at our best. I think they played at their capacity which is why they won.

For next season we still need to improve. New contenders will rise and we still need a few touch ups to our list and also internal improvement from a number of 25 and under players to help keep us up there.

Two things, both directly related.

One- we have had an obvious deficiency at HB for years now. Yesterday it came back to bite us, big time. Whoever placed Starc on Hills and LEFT HIM THERE, effectively lost us the game.

Two- the 50m in the last sealed the deal and unfortunately will stay with the offender the rest of his career. It's not acceptable to attempt an impact on the game, when you have had very little, by a bit of fake tough crap.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I am just shattered. So close. A few of our players didn't play their best game, but it happens. We are close enough that I am certain the team will use it as fuel and put in the work to take the next step next season. It could have gone either way, it just didn't go our way this time. Pies took their moments (De goey goal, Sidebottom from 50) and we missed some of our moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back