Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually for previews, I like to antagonise our opposition, throw out a few trolls, mention Toby Greene having a punchable head or certain clubs being completely irrelevant and not deserving of a preview. But today I will not be doing that (Although if you do want some great banter, I highly suggest going here -> https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sydney-is-such-a-weak-club.315075/unread close to my favourite thread on Bigfooty).

Anyways without further ado, here is your final preview for 2024 from the eyes of a bias Swans supporter.

1726959041675.png
The AFL Grand Final
Sydney/South Melbourne Swans Vs Brisbane/Fitzroy Lions

Melbourne Cricket Ground
2:30PM Melbourne/ Sydney Time
Weather:
22 Sunny Minimal Wind

Recent Form

Sydney Swans - After a small blip mid-season (where we were likely running a mini pre-season), the Swans have approached the big dance by winning their last 5 matches, including what may of been our best 4 Quarter effort this year by breaking our duck against Port Adelaide. Whilst traditionally we have had slow starts this season, we have managed to win our first quarter in two of our last three starts (Thank you South Australian sides <3).

Brisbane Lions - After starting off the season rather slow (2-5), Brisbane have roared back to life and are looking to put themselves back at the front of the pride with a strong Grand Final Performance. Whilst they had some patchy form to end off the season, they have had incredible mental strength in their finals series, coming from behind against both GWS and Geelong.

The Travel Factor

Sydney Swans - Sydney should be fully rested and have no excuses here, we haven't left NSW since mid August. Have had a few weeks break, and whilst we haven't played at the MCG for a few weeks, our form there this year has been better than usual with convincing wins over Collingwood and Hawthorn (And a loss against Richmond no one can quite explain).

Brisbane Lions - Brisbane have been on the road for a few weeks now and will be flying down to Melbourne early this week (Wednesday). Both their games against GWS and Geelong were played away (At Engie Stadium and the MCG). Whilst Brisbane have struggled at the MCG in recent years, I only like to look at their most recent performance (the rousing come from behind victory against Geelong) to say they should have no demons at this ground.

Injuries/ Team Selection Talk

Sydney Swans - Three big stories to talk about this week.

• McDonald - Rolled his ankle in the third quarter against Port Adelaide, whilst he will undergo testing this week, the club are confident he will be fully fit for the decider.​
  • Mills - Minor Strain/ Pull to his hamstring. Rumoured he would have been selected had selection been last Saturday and footage has been released of him training already. Expect him to have some rather "strenuous" tests during the week.​
  • Adams - Does he somehow get a spot in the side​
If McDonald is fit, I expect there to be very minimal changes on this match, I highly expect that Fox will be required in defence for Brisbane and these types of decisions are a little above my paygrade. But gun to my head if Mills is fit I do expect we will play him, with likely one of Campbell/ Fox to make way (I would be loathe to drop either).

Brisbane Lions - What the hell do they do without McInerney

The Lions have lost close to the number one player they couldn't afford to lose before the Grand Final. This leaves four possibilities.

• The Simple Switch - Darcy Fort comes in for McInerney - I rate Fort, his a decent ruckman, but he hasn't played since April this year. This is still the most likely scenario for the Lions.
  • The potential - Henry Smith - Has played a few games and looks a likely prospect, a ruckman who can also go forward and trouble the scorers. Has only played 4 games of football so far but is a big body being 206cm tall and over 100 kilos, I don't think his quite ready to run out a full match quite yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fagan looked here.
  • The Change up - Daniher plays the full game in the ruck - The most unlikely option here, unless Fagan wants to try and hurt Grundy in the other direction. Daniher is a great player in this position as a second ruck he will likely have the edge over McLean but over Grundy for 4 quarters? I think this option is unlikely.

The Key Players

Sydney Swans

If Brisbane want to stop Sydney, these are the 5 players that need to be stopped.

• Issac Heeney - Sorry know I am going into predictable territory here, but Heeney has been our mainstay this season, in fact you can argue he has been BOG in his last 4 starts (Collingwood, Essendon, GWS Final, Port Final). If we are to win we need him to stand up. If Brisbane are to win they will need to shut him down. Luckily for us, Heeney has shown he can break up a tag.
  • Chad Warner - The Robin to Heeney's batman, Sweeps in within the blink of an eye and can tear a sides heart away. When the Chad has been stopped this season Sydney have struggled, but this harder said than done, look at our final against GWS for instance, he was quiet for 3 quarters then exploded in the last.
  • Errol Gulden - Yay fully entered predictable territory, Gulden is our teams Catwoman, just as dangerous as Heeney or Warner. This year Gulden has been death by a thousand cuts. You blink and before you know it you're terminal as his had 6 touches and 6 goal assists. If we can free him up on the wing Brisbane may not be able to go with us. (For the record Rowbottom is our Alfred, giving us the best support in the business and calling the shots in the midfield behind the scenes).
  • Tom Papley - The chaos merchant himself, the player on the opposition you love to hate and the player on the Swans we just plain love. If his up and about the Swans win, it as simple as that. His form is infectious and he just makes things happen. I honestly believe outside of our last player here, his the most essential player to our side.
  • Dane Rampe - Know a lot of people would have named maybe Blakey or Grundy here, but I think Rampe is the key to our defence next Saturday. Not only does he marshal our troops behind the ball, his Mr Fix-it and has recently found his rebound again. If Daniher, Hipwood or Rayner get away from their opponents it will be Rampe who goes to them.
Brisbane Lions

If Sydney want to stop Brisbane, these are the 5 players that need to be stopped.

• Lachie Neale - His a two time (maybe soon to be three) Brownlow medallist for a reason, and worse of all he has a bit of a history of standing up against our mob. Previously in the last we have played Parker and Gulden on him, but this week outside of the centre square stoppages I fully expect this to be the James Jordan matchup.
  • Josh Dunkley - Josh is everything I love about a footballer, tough as nails, no nonsense and does a job both ways. I fully expect him to be following Heeney around at stoppages in the ground, so we will need to put on some subtle bumps and take him off his game.
  • Cam Rayner - If Rayner is up and about, the Lions win, it is as simple as that. We will likely send Rampe to him straight from the first bounce (If he is in the forward line).
  • Harris Andrews - I expect to see Sydney put someone in an defensive role on Andrews (Potentially Parker similar to Aliir last week). If we allow him to set up behind the ball for intercepts, it is going to be a very very long day at the office, but if we can drag him away from congestion it will open up our forward line and give us far better looks moving forward.
  • Charlie Cameron - Don't need to say much here, their Papley equivilant. Cunningham will have a very special date lined up on Satuday.

How the match will play out

The big stat for the Swans this Saturday will be turnovers and pressure. This year we are undefeated in 18 matches when we have outscored our opposition on turnover. Look for us to pressure the ball carrier and try to stop Brisbane's dash, ensuring they play a slow chip game.

When they do change to their slow chip game (It's something the Lions do particularly well), we need to ensure we have front position and block off the leading lanes, if this can happen we should be able to force a little bit of chaos which will force the game to go into our hands.

We will need to be particularly careful of the Lions smalls in their forward line, Bailey, Rayner, Lohman and Cameron are probably the best set of smalls in the league, we will need to ensure we are holding our intercept marks and not allowing spillages where these players can do their best work.

For Brisbane they are going to want to stop us running the ball in the corridor and ensure we slow down the ball on the wings. If they can do this, we will be playing into their hands with their strong midfield group.

If the game becomes congested, look for us to wait on the outside and simply pressure the ball carrier with numbers behind the ball similar to last Friday against Port. But hopefully we can get on top through the midfield.

One last thing to watch out for is the Lions run and gun when they do hit that switch Starcevich and Lester will both need to be watched as they start many scoring chains from half back.

Final thoughts and prediction

Whilst most media outlets will say this game will be decided in the midfield, I am honestly not sure about that as I think it is likely going to be even there all day (and the Swans have shown that we can lose the midfield battle but win the match on multiple occasions). Instead I think this match will be decided on who plays better on transition. If we can damage the Lions on turnover this game is ours for the taking. But if the Lions can control the ball and use their dash/ chaos at the right moments this will be a very very long day at the office.

I'm looking to see if one of our lesser lights can step up and support Heeney, Gulden and Warner, thinking that McInerney might be primed here for a big game on the wings of the MCG.

Sydney by 26 points.

Last edited:
Bring it on. I'm happier going into this one than if we had the Cats again and think while it'll be a tough contest, we should have too much for them particularly with the extra rest and less injury niggles (on the surface anyway).

Swans by 15.

Great work legend

I am pumped for the week, will be shitting bricks come Saturday.

We wanted another interstate side , but yeah seems tough to see them lose 2 grannies in a row. But we also finished first for a reason, we are the best in it.

Turn up and get this done boys.

Have to respect Brisbane but we should win by 4 goals I hope

Usually for previews, I like to antagonise our opposition, throw out a few trolls, mention Toby Greene having a punchable head or certain clubs being completely irrelevant and not deserving of a preview. But today I will not be doing that (Although if you do want some great banter, I highly suggest going here -> https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sydney-is-such-a-weak-club.315075/unread close to my favourite thread on Bigfooty).

Anyways without further ado, here is your final preview for 2024 from the eyes of a bias Swans supporter.

View attachment 2117823
The AFL Grand Final

Melbourne Cricket Ground
Weather:
22 Sunny Minimal Wind

Recent Form

Sydney Swans - After a small blip mid-season (where we were likely running a mini pre-season), the Swans have approached the big dance by winning their last 5 matches, including what may of been our best 4 Quarter effort this year by breaking our duck against Port Adelaide. Whilst traditionally we have had slow starts this season, we have managed to win our first quarter in two of our last three starts (Thank you South Australian sides <3).

Brisbane Lions - After starting off the season rather slow (2-5), Brisbane have roared back to life and are looking to put themselves back at the front of the pride with a strong Grand Final Performance. Whilst they had some patchy form to end off the season, they have had incredible mental strength in their finals series, coming from behind against both GWS and Geelong.

The Travel Factor

Sydney Swans - Sydney should be fully rested and have no excuses here, we haven't left NSW since mid August. Have had a few weeks break, and whilst we haven't played at the MCG for a few weeks, our form there this year has been better than usual with convincing wins over Collingwood and Hawthorn (And a loss against Richmond no one can quite explain).

Brisbane Lions - Brisbane have been on the road for a few weeks now and will be flying down to Melbourne early this week (Wednesday). Both their games against GWS and Geelong were played away (At Engie Stadium and the MCG). Whilst Brisbane have struggled at the MCG in recent years, I only like to look at their most recent performance (the rousing come from behind victory against Geelong) to say they should have no demons at this ground.

• McDonald - Rolled his ankle in the third quarter against Port Adelaide, whilst he will undergo testing this week, the club are confident he will be fully fit for the decider.​
  • Mills - Minor Strain/ Pull to his hamstring. Rumoured he would have been selected had selection been last Saturday and footage has been released of him training already. Expect him to have some rather "strenuous" tests during the week.​
If McDonald is fit, I expect there to be very minimal changes on this match, I highly expect that Fox will be required in defence for Brisbane and these types of decisions are a little above my paygrade. But gun to my head if Mills is fit I do expect we will play him, with likely one of Campbell/ Fox to make way (I would be loathe to drop either).

The Lions have lost close to the number one player they couldn't afford to lose before the Grand Final. This leaves four possibilities.

• The Simple Switch - Darcy Fort comes in for McInerney - I rate Fort, his a decent ruckman, but he hasn't played since April this year. This is still the most likely scenario for the Lions.
  • The potential - Henry Smith - Has played a few games and looks a likely prospect, a ruckman who can also go forward and trouble the scorers. Has only played 4 games of football so far but is a big body being 206cm tall and over 100 kilos, I don't think his quite ready to run out a full match quite yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fagan looked here.
  • The Change up - Daniher plays the full game in the ruck - The most unlikely option here, unless Fagan wants to try and hurt Grundy in the other direction. Daniher is a great player in this position as a second ruck he will likely have the edge over McLean but over Grundy for 4 quarters? I think this option is unlikely.

The Key Players

Sydney Swans

If Brisbane want to stop Sydney, these are the 5 players that need to be stopped.

• Issac Heeney - Sorry know I am going into predictable territory here, but Heeney has been our mainstay this season, in fact you can argue he has been BOG in his last 4 starts (Collingwood, Essendon, GWS Final, Port Final). If we are to win we need him to stand up. If Brisbane are to win they will need to shut him down. Luckily for us, Heeney has shown he can break up a tag.
  • Chad Warner - The Robin to Heeney's batman, Sweeps in within the blink of an eye and can tear a sides heart away. When the Chad has been stopped this season Sydney have struggled, but this harder said than done, look at our final against GWS for instance, he was quiet for 3 quarters then exploded in the last.
  • Error Gulden - Yay fully entered predictable territory, Gulden is our teams Catwoman, just as dangerous as Heeney or Warner. This year Gulden has been death by a thousand cuts. You blink and before you know it you're terminal as his had 6 touches and 6 goal assists. If we can free him up on the wing Brisbane may not be able to go with us. (For the record Rowbottom is our Alfred, giving us the best support in the business and calling the shots in the midfield behind the scenes).
  • Tom Papley - The chaos merchant himself, the player on the opposition you love to hate and the player on the Swans we just plain love. If his up and about the Swans win, it as simple as that. His form is infectious and he just makes things happen. I honestly believe outside of our last player here, his the most essential player to our side.
  • Dane Rampe - Know a lot of people would have named maybe Blakey or Grundy here, but I think Rampe is the key to our defence next Saturday. Not only does he marshal our troops behind the ball, his Mr Fix-it and has recently found his rebound again. If Daniher, Hipwood or Rayner get away from their opponents it will be Rampe who goes to them.
Brisbane Lions

If Sydney want to stop Brisbane, these are the 5 players that need to be stopped.

• Lachie Neale - His a two time (maybe soon to be three) Brownlow medallist for a reason, and worse of all he has a bit of a history of standing up against our mob. Previously in the last we have played Parker and Gulden on him, but this week outside of the centre square stoppages I fully expect this to be the James Jordan matchup.
  • Josh Dunkley - Josh is everything I love about a footballer, tough as nails, no nonsense and does a job both ways. I fully expect him to be following Heeney around at stoppages in the ground, so we will need to put on some subtle bumps and take him off his game.
  • Cam Rayner - If Rayner is up and about, the Lions win, it is as simple as that. We will likely send Rampe to him straight from the first bounce (If he is in the forward line).
  • Harris Andrews - I expect to see Sydney put someone in an defensive role on Andrews (Potentially Parker similar to Aliir last week). If we allow him to set up behind the ball for intercepts, it is going to be a very very long day at the office, but if we can drag him away from congestion it will open up our forward line and give us far better looks moving forward.
  • Charlie Cameron - Don't need to say much here, their Papley equivilant. Cunningham will have a very special date lined up on Satuday.

The big stat for the Swans this Saturday will be turnovers and pressure. This year we are undefeated in 18 matches when we have outscored our opposition on turnover. Look for us to pressure the ball carrier and try to stop Brisbane's dash, ensuring they play a slow chip game.

When they do change to their slow chip game (It's something the Lions do particularly well), we need to ensure we have front position and block off the leading lanes, if this can happen we should be able to force a little bit of chaos which will force the game to go into our hands.

We will need to be particularly careful of the Lions smalls in their forward line, Bailey, Rayner, Lohman and Cameron are probably the best set of smalls in the league, we will need to ensure we are holding our intercept marks and not allowing spillages where these players can do their best work.

For Brisbane they are going to want to stop us running the ball in the corridor and ensure we slow down the ball on the wings. If they can do this, we will be playing into their hands with their strong midfield group.

If the game becomes congested, look for us to wait on the outside and simply pressure the ball carrier with numbers behind the ball similar to last Friday against Port. But hopefully we can get on top through the midfield.

One last thing to watch out for is the Lions run and gun when they do hit that switch Starcevich and Lester will both need to be watched as they start many scoring chains from half back.

Whilst most media outlets will say this game will be decided in the midfield, I am honestly not sure about that as I think it is likely going to be even there all day (and the Swans have shown that we can lose the midfield battle but win the match on multiple occasions). Instead I think this match will be decided on who plays better on transition. If we can damage the Lions on turnover this game is ours for the taking. But if the Lions can control the ball and use their dash/ chaos at the right moments this will be a very very long day at the office.

I'm looking to see if one of our lesser lights can step up and support Heeney, Gulden and Warner, thinking that McInerney might be primed here for a big game on the wings of the MCG.

Sydney by 26 points.
Thanks Bonz :clapping::heart:

Should be a ripping contest. Brisbane will be very hard to beat, but winning grand finals are rarely easy. We have a lot of advantages in our favour: they've played three consecutive games the last two of which were really tough and physical. They'll be on the road for a second week in a row at a neutral venue without VFL bias umpiring either way. They'll be missing their ruckman who has been very good this year. We haven't had to leave Sydney since August.

It's there for the taking if we want it badly enough and show up to win. If we don't I won't begrudge the Lions a flag as it would be an enormous effort to come from 5th. But our players look hungry and our list is fit and largely in form. It's now a matter of getting the job done. GO SWANS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2117823
The AFL Grand Final

Melbourne Cricket Ground
Weather:
22 Sunny Minimal Wind

Recent Form

The Travel Factor

The Key Players

Sydney Swans

• Error Gulden - Yay fully entered predictable territory, Gulden is our teams Catwoman, just as dangerous as Heeney or Warner. This year Gulden has been death by a thousand cuts. You blink and before you know it you're terminal as his had 6 touches and 6 goal assists. If we can free him up on the wing Brisbane may not be able to go with us. (For the record Rowbottom is our Alfred, giving us the best support in the business and calling the shots in the midfield behind the scenes).
Brisbane Lions

Sydney by 26 points.
Great stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back