Grant Thomas no longer saints coach

Remove this Banner Ad

doofdoof said:
I wonder how this will affect the lads that he is all matey-matey with on the Saint's list. If the new coach is a disciplinarian who does not want to hang out in the spa with them drinking beer, is there going to be a revolt?
One can only hope so

davey_magik said:
McGuane surely?

If it's a promotion from within, I'd put my money on Rendell. McGuane has only been at St. Kilda for a year, and I believe he took over the midfield and oversaw them slip from one of the top clearance teams to one of the bottom.

Vacuous Space said:
If it's a promotion from within, I'd put my money on Rendell. McGuane has only been at St. Kilda for a year, and I believe he took over the midfield and oversaw them slip from one of the top clearance teams to one of the bottom.

No Lenny Hayes does that.

The Fireman said:
mate I need some time to take all this in. I suppose we have to look at everyone who is putting a hand up and I'm sure there would be many that would like a crack at our list. I didn't mind Bomba when he was coaching us.

Fair enough, I didn't realise how popuar GT was amongst Saints fans. I do remember being on the edge of my nerves last week when the Carlton board was deciding on the future of Denis Pagna (I wanted him gone) but after 6 hours, they did nothing. And the next day they announced Pagan had been retained, after earlier conflicting reports that he was gone.
The decision did appeared a bit sudden, however they handled it far more professionally then the Carlton board last week.

MRobbo said:
Finally, St Kilda have woken up to themselves only 2 to 3 years too late.

Mick McGuane to coach saints I think.

Did someone say bookie issues?

I am absolutely wrapped!!! Please just don't go down the Spud/Timmy Watson route. We need a hard arse bastard, no more softly softly people.
If we're going untried, I don't like Peter German much, but I know he'd come in and set a standard and kick some heads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Age story refers to him leaving by "mutaul agreement" (sic). It's like it was written by a BF poster! (EDIT: Mistake now corrected by Age.)

The Saints did it the right way. Carlton and Geelong (and North Melbourne in '07) should take note: if you're going to shove the knife in the back, do it swiftly, brutally and without warning.

I can't believe that no-one's mentioned the obvious standout candidate for new Saints coach: Tommy Hafey.

celtic_pride said:
The decision did appeared a bit sudden, however they handled it far more professionally then the Carlton board last week.
It looks as though they had decided that a loss would mean curtains for GT. Nice and quick. Right or wrong at least it was quick and decisive and didn’t require weeks of review and multiple board meetings.

itsintheblood said:
I remember a reporter asking GT on sunday what he was gonna do now that the saints are out and his reaction?

"Go home and have about 40 pots".

Seriously, this is not the sort of stuff you wanna hear from a coach who's team has just been eliminated from the finals and who's list is so loaded with talent. Even though he was "probably" joking, I reckon the stkilda admin wouldnt have seen the funny side.
Get a sense of humour ffs.

Surprising.

Much as I disliked him he proved me and most critics wrong by taking the Saints to the finals. He had some idea as a coach, more than I gave him credit for.

Anyway he wasn't the best coach around so they're actively looking for improvement, which is a reasonable way to proceed. Its seems a polite parting of ways, no mid-season knifing or player revolt. This is all very "un-St Kilda". Maybe he did change the culture after all.

This should be a huge opportunity to stir the Saints but I'd say they're handling things properly. Not that that will stop the trolls.

frednirk said:
Blight was Rubbish!!

So he won a couple of colostrum fueled flags at the crows! I'm not impressed.

LOL thats why we're contenders and you're pretenders my friend....

I'm sure most Saints fans would take a Tibetan Yak **** Fuelled flag if it was on offer....surely any flag is a good flag???

Remove this Banner Ad

Grant Thomas no longer saints coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back