Great Shaun Atley video you will want to see

Remove this Banner Ad

The Essendon Football Club: Absolute proof that money isn't everything.

up on the sun website

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-security-review/story-e6frf9jf-1225956686777

THE embarrassing leak of a draft video has prompted Essendon to review the security of its club website. The video was posted to YouTube early on Thursday and shows Bombers recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro extolling the virtues of midfielder Shaun Atley as the club's first-round pick.
But the Bombers used the first pick at No.8 last night to recruit Dyson Heppell, while Atley eventually went to North Melbourne at No.17.
Essendon chief executive Ian Robson said someone had hacked into the club's website and then made the Atley video public.
Richmond was the victim of a similar stunt yesterday when a profile of No.6 pick Reece Conca appeared on the club's website before the draft.

The Tigers had the same explanation - a number of profiles had been prepared in advance and someone hacked into the site and published the one of Conca.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ew/story-e6frf9jf-1225956686777#sidebar-start

Robson said Dodoro had recorded "less than five" videos pre-draft, before the club had made a final call on its first pick, and these were pre-loaded onto the website.
"Am I relaxed it's public? No, it's a 'small-e' embarrassment," Robson told AAP.
"All clubs, particularly with their first-round picks ... there are a number of scenarios and we prepare for them.
"In this instance, what's happened is we've pre-recorded a number of things with Adrian for our website, to discuss players we thought would be in that group.
"Shaun Atley was certainly one of those and what's happened is those videos that have been stored on our website have been hacked into."
Robson also stressed it was standard for the videos to be stored on the website, ready to be posted publicly.
"Why were they pre-stored? That's a fundamental working practice that is prevalent right across the year ... it's a common practice," he said.
"We're certainly having a review of our protocols and strategies behind the scenes and I'm sure that will continue into next week."
Essendon interviewed Heppell at a campsite the night before the draft.
Given the late timing of that meeting, plus the public airing of the Atley video, a conspiracy theory is that Dodoro was overruled on the club's first pick.
Robson said that idea was "nonsense".
The Bombers boss said while the club was rapt to secure Heppell, they retained a high opinion of Atley.
In the video, Dodoro says Atley "has a bit of Chris Judd about him".

Was the site actually hacked as claimed or was it merely uploaded to a perfectly accessible but unadvertised area on their servers?

They're bullshitting. How could somebody have gotten into a website and uploaded a video from someone else's computer? They made a mistake, now they're trying to cover it up, through the fact that the average footy fan knows little about computers.

EDIT: Even if it had already been on the website, who would bother? It's pointless. It wouldn't have happened, I have no doubt it's a cover-up.

EDIT2: In addition, the top 10 is decided beforehand. Richmond probably uploaded it in advance by accident, but Essendon probably chose the wrong one. It's a similar mistake, one that they probably both made.

They're bullshitting. How could somebody have gotten into a website and uploaded a video from someone else's computer?

It happens, but I agree that it's more likely that they are covering up their own stuff up.

While it wasn't me, but to my understanding, someone managed to get the correct url (very easy to guess), to access the said video. Hardly any hacking involved.

But kudos to GR for saving it quickly. Hacking is a word that is too easy thrown around and have multiple meanings. (Guessing a password is apparently hacking, which is amateur compared to serious hacking via the hard-drive or software.)

Correct guessing the url that is not 'public' on the website via any link yet is not hacking, especially if there is no security on it (Unauthorised access).

It is no blight on the Bombers for selecting Heppell, was just a funny video.

Also, leaving files in unsecured areas of your website does not constitute hacking just because you do not have a link to the file in question. It is unsecured, anyone in the public had access to it if they could guess the file name, and it wasn't a hard guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While it wasn't me, but to my understanding, someone managed to get the correct url (very easy to guess), to access the said video. Hardly any hacking involved.

But kudos to GR for saving it quickly. Hacking is a word that is too easy thrown around and have multiple meanings. (Guessing a password is apparently hacking, which is amateur compared to serious hacking via the hard-drive or software.)

Correct guessing the url that is not 'public' on the website via any link yet is not hacking, especially if there is no security on it (Unauthorised access).

Guessing a password isn't hacking at all, it's hijacking. It's a common mistake, one which I wish people would stop making.

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by the Essendon Football Club"
:(

It'll be reuploaded. Can't pull just one afl video, without pulling the rest for Infringment.

Just watched the draft again. Wrapped with Atley but think it's drawing a fairly long to suggest he'll be better than heppell, that kid's a jet, so classy.
Can't blame the bombers for choosing dyson.
Love the look of Atley too though, bring it on!

Im still in shock as to how he ended up on our doorstep. We are going to look back at that draft as the one the shored up the greatest midfield since the Lions of 2001,02,03,04.

Will be disappointed if Atleys kicking is as bad as Judds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Great Shaun Atley video you will want to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back