Injury Gunston to miss 2-3 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2014-08-05/bupa-recovery-report-gunston-to-miss-23-weeks

HAWTHORN forward Jack Gunston will miss up to three weeks with a knee injury suffered in the win over the Bulldogs on Sunday.

GM - Football Operations Chris Fagan confirmed scans on Monday revealed damage to the medial ligament in his knee.

Gunston was helped from the field in the final quarter after an opponent fell across his leg and didn’t return after booting three goals in his side’s 62-point win.

“Scans yesterday revealed Jack has done some low-grade damage to his medial ligament,” Fagan told hawthornfc.com.au

I guess that's not so bad. The medial ankle injury sounds like it would've been a lot worse to recover from and would've almost certainly ended his season.

Schoenmakers and possibly even Sicily seem to be likely replacements in the forward line.

damn, hopefully back for the Geelong match.

Another option is to bring Cegs back and leave Hale in forward line.

Better than it could have been. I hope we are cautious with him. my worry is that he has taken time to get into his groove when he has missed before. That might mean there is no decision between Schoey and Spangher for a while yet.

Hopefully Gunners is back for the Cats game

Hale is so far out of form, I don't know if that is the answer. Anyway, Gunners does a ton of work up the ground, Hale can't do that as efficiently.

Better than it could have been. I hope we are cautious with him. my worry is that he has taken time to get into his groove when he has missed before. That might mean there is no decision between Schoey and Spangher for a while yet.

Hopefully Gunners is back for the Cats game

Says in the article back by the Pies game. Hopefully back for the Cats as he's one of the few who seems to consistently play well against them.

Possibly bring Ceglar back into the ruck, leave Hale at FF and have Roughie as a more mobile CHF.
I reckon we structure up with Schoenmakers, Rough and resting ruck as the talls. Breust, Poppy and one of the mids resting forward (Hodge / Lewis / Smith / Burgoyne). Either that or see if Grimley or TOB have anything to give this year. Sicily would have been in the running but I think he has run out of legs from all BH reports.

Huge blow. Would be dangerous on Paterson and the key to beating Geelong is having a variety of forward threats that prevent their key defenders helping out.

Gives Schoey another few weeks.

The key to beating Geelong is shut down Hawkins and go with a small mobile forward line and hit up leading targets. It denies them rebound from half back which their players crave and forces separation so there isn't that third man up.

Geelong against us either bomb to Hawkins or have Motlop, Stokes, Christenson, Murdoch etc running onto long bombs kicked into space and them running into open goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dust-1.png

Bit of a bummer for Jack but could have been alot worse.

Interesting to see how the coaches decide to cover him. Probably Schoey to play Jack's role and maybe play an extra midfielder in Sewell, with the midfielders rotating through the forward line

How does a blokes standing on your ankle result in a medial knee ligament injury. It looked like an ankle to me - how does the knee come into? Any doctors out there - this smells a bit......

How does a blokes standing on your ankle result in a medial knee ligament injury. It looked like an ankle to me - how does the knee come into? Any doctors out there - this smells a bit......

To take the force off his ankle he has tried to lower his body so the lower leg is parallel with the ground while the same time twisting his upper body to get the handball off he has strained his knee. This is a guess but the only thing I can come up with to make myself feel better at not really being able to accurately answer your question.

*Disclaimer:
The medical advice in this post may/may not be accurate. If you have any other queries it's best to seek medical advice from a qualified health care provider. Please read PDS for further information.

Not good but could be worse. I suppose Hale as a forward, TOB and Grimmers all come into contention.

Time for R Schoenmakers to step up.
Schoenmakers has got no idea as a forward, the north game and the dogs games has shown us that, the more likely option would be for schoenmakers to go back to defence and bring Spag forward. Also Cegs can come in and play as a deep forward, he has a good pair of hands and knows where the goals are, but the experiement of schoenmakers up forward has been a disaster, he wont be up their again. Grimely and sicily are both way out of form at Box Hill so they wont get called upon.

That hurts a bit, but we all know it could have been worse. If hes back for Geelong game then great if not, we still have bigger fish to fry come September, lets just hope he gets a nice rest and is ready for full tilt come end of the season. I recon we should be able to cover him..

When is Cyril and Sewell due back??
Sewell is available this week and Cyril the Collingwood game I think. Lake is back next week for the Dockers so I think we will be fine, Shoey and Spang can rotate between F50 and D50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back