GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS tried but all they got was one of Martins famous 'Don't Argues' and turned them down.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/how-loyalty-cost-dustin-martin-3m/story-fn6cisdj-1226049486283

If only Melbourne weren't so stubborn and interviewed the kid at the draft camp maybe they would of picked the right one. ;)

Melbourne's loss is our gain I suppose. :)

And now he's one of your most highly paid players, having played less than 50 games. He probably earns more than your captain.

That in turn is going to make it harder for you to keep your other young guns.

I'm glad you're so thrilled with that situation. I wouldn't be.

Because the AFL has an oft-stated policy of equalisation. The high draft picks existing clubs have got have come about because that club has been in a poor situation.

The Expansion clubs have had every opportunity to score the best young talent in the country, to the point of diluting drafts and destroying the chance for existing clubs to get a fair crack at rebuilding etc.

The Expansion clubs have enough access to young talent without taking the hard earned players of struggling existing clubs.

Hurley has already signed a second contract. He is fair game. If Essendon lose him, it's entirely our fault for not providing an environment that is good enough to keep him.

I back us to keep Hurley, but he is fair game AFAIC.

Maybe. The way I understand it is the AFL railroaded it through. Either way, maybe the clubs did agree to it and it's their fault. I don't absolve them. I think the AFL though should never have put the option on the table.

Any club that wanted Butcher would have had to trade with Port. They couldn't have simply snatched him once his contract was up. It's chalk and cheese.

As well, any (non-expansion) clubs that wanted Butcher wouldn't have had a massive difference in salary cap to spend.

It's not difficult to understand. I mean, duh, FFS. I would say maybe the difference is too subtle for you, but I don't want to be a patronising w***er...

There's a fundamental difference, as outlined above. The expansion clubs have already gotten the must unbelievable access to young talent. I have no problems in theory with them taking uncontracted players, but IMO they should never have access to other clubs first and second year players, who they are able to make offers so huge in comparison to what the club can match. The uncontracted player option should have been so they could compliment their already extraordinary supply of young talent with older, harder bodies of players who aren't for whatever reason getting a good deal or opportunity with their current club. That's how it should have worked.

The difference regarding young players, if you take just a moment or two to think about, is obvious. Clubs can at least compete with their older players, because they are able to pay closer to market rate based on what they have achieved, rather than speculate on their potential. Richmond would have had to pay a ridiculously inflated salary to keep Martin simply because of the inflationary pressure brought about by the expansion clubs. That could **** Richmond's finances big time. So not Martin is one of their most highly paid players. What a great situation that is.

Getting the cream of their draft, plus the best underage kids, is ENOUGH access to elite young talent, without raping other clubs of their hard earned young talent. IMO.

In comparison to what we received, you'd be correct.
The fact we managed to win 8 games on debut with that team of crabs still blows my mind

Re: GWS 12pm Press conference today

MFC Twitter:

As you have probably seen/heard Tom Scully is going to GWS. The Club was advised a short time ago and will respond later today

Is that what this press conference is about - I thought they were going to showcase Izzy in the new away jumper!

Meh. Whatever. We may have dodged a bullet with Scully anyway - he seems to have a potential Adam Cooney-type knee problem which may well hinder his whole career. He's certainly missed more games than you would expect for a 20 year old. They are already calling it degerative condition that will have to be managed for his whole career. If it's troublesome at age 20, when your body is at it's peak in terms of healing ability, why would anyone think this problem is going to get better than it is now. As he gets older and puts more miles on it, his knee is likely to get worse.

Aside from that, the protracted nature of all this Scully talk caused me to lose interest a long time ago. He was so cagey for so long that I no longer considered him a Melbourne player anyway. As a result, I don't feel disappointed. My only observation is that he's a bit of a coward by not informing MFC personally and for deceiving Jimmy all this time. That does not reflect well on his character at all. It could have saved a lot of this effort in trying to find extra money for him and trying to satisfy him. MFC never had a chance of retaining him. He doesn't appear to like the club, but he could have been honest enough to tell us his intentions. I understand he could declare his signing officially, but it could have helped MFC to stop putting energy into him. I don't much like Scully, but going to GWS itself is not really the reason. I just think he's a self-absorbed little prat who was happy to take a big deal (fair enough), but also put an entire club through turmoil while he protected his image. Then he announces he's leaving with a letter - probably written by his dad. He's not impressive at all as a person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back