Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Lever a cross? He’s likely All Australian this year. I’m by no means a Hamish defender, quite the opposite actually, but his job is talent ID. What happens after that is on the clubs list management team. Ogilvie knocked that pick out of the park.

Last edited:
Hardly surprising with him coming off a long term serious injury, not sure Gallucci's AFL career is absolutely over just yet if he plays some decent VFL footy for Williamstown.

Well 18 teams aren't willing to give him a list spot on the off chance that he could come good.

Gotta hand it to the Adelaide board willing to let a player get 1000x shakes off the sauce bottle before we put a line through them.

Or maybe it's just that this board has absolutely no foresight whatsoever...

Yes. You dont spend pick 9 on a half back and hes not particularly great in that role anyway.
Better tell the Giants they wasted their pick on Lachie Ash hey.

You've chosen the "Jones is no good" hill to die on, which is fine.

Lever a cross? He’s likely All Australian this year. I’m by no means a Hamish defender, quite the opposite actually, but his job is talent ID. What happens after that is on the clubs list management team. Ogilvie knocked that pick out of the park.
💯

Took a while to get going for Melbourne, but he's come good. He was even nice enough to allow us to beat his current side.

Did you have a bit to drink last night ?? You're not normally this angry.
Im just fed up. We badly need decent mids and we pass on what would have been our first quality father son pick for a slow small forward.

Better tell the Giants they wasted their pick on Lachie Ash hey.

You've chosen the "Jones is no good" hill to die on, which is fine.
No. Im saying Jones wont live up to the expectations of a top 10 draft pick who was selected to play in our midfield. An okay half back, and he hasnt even cleared that low bar yet, is not good enough for pick 9. If our recruiters knew thats where he would end up, do you think they blow pick 9 on him?

Im just fed up. We badly need decent mids and we pass on what would have been our first quality father son pick for a slow small forward.

No. Im saying Jones wont live up to the expectations of a top 10 draft pick who was selected to play in our midfield. An okay half back, and he hasnt even cleared that low bar yet, is not good enough for pick 9. If our recruiters knew thats where he would end up, do you think they blow pick 9 on him?
Hard to say.

If he ends up as a best 18 player in our side, then I'm sure they'll be happy enough.

Worth noting with Edwards too, is he's already very similar to what we've got, and we have all bemoaned the lack of difference in our midfield. Rowe has proven his worth beyond Luke to this point.

To be fair we are crying out for a small forward and Rowe was the best on offer at the time. Bread and butter mids are a dime a dozen, Edwards shown that he could be anything more than that?

Agreed re Jones.

Yeah nah that's the literal definition of a bust. Especially given no other team picked him up for free after we delisted him.
There's a bust pick, and then there's a bust development. You're mixing the 2 as 1.
I'm not arguing the end result of it being a bust, but arguing (slightly) that the pick had some merit which was shown in at least a handful of games.
A true bust pick is one where the player doesn't play at AFL level at all. Or when played at AFL, rarely showed anything of significance.

We didn't pass on decent mids in Berry and Pedlar. With what was going on with the Stengle Saga, we needed a small forward to take his place. Rowe was that small forward to fill the void. Granted he hasn't been overly spectacular, but I'm sure history will show us that there are plenty of small forwards that need a good few years to get to full potential. You don't have to look very far back in history, Betts, Cameron and Stengle all weren't spectacular in their first season or two.

Regardless of how most judge Hamish, it's probably time for a change as he has been in the role for quite some time.

Without listing all the players, his drafting from the 2nd round onwards would be better than most other recruiters.

However his 1st round drafting would be around average... but we need to have an above average strike rate for high end talent given we have had more 1st rounders than most sides.

We didn't pass on decent mids in Berry and Pedlar. With what was going on with the Stengle Saga, we needed a small forward to take his place. Rowe was that small forward to fill the void. Granted he hasn't been overly spectacular, but I'm sure history will show us that there are plenty of small forwards that need a good few years to get to full potential. You don't have to look very far back in history, Betts, Cameron and Stengle all weren't spectacular in their first season or two.
They also weren't 21 when they got drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mutineer - how about you point out which part of my post you disagree with.... as there are 3 different points... or do you disagree with all 3?

You don't think Hamish has been at the club long enough.

You think his drafting from the 2nd round has been below average.

You think his drafting in the 1st round has not been around average.

There's a bust pick, and then there's a bust development. You're mixing the 2 as 1.
I'm not arguing the end result of it being a bust, but arguing (slightly) that the pick had some merit which was shown in at least a handful of games.
A true bust pick is one where the player doesn't play at AFL level at all. Or when played at AFL, rarely showed anything of significance.

And Gooch doesn't fit into the bolded category??? A lot of the games he did get were gifted - we didn't blood much youth around the time when he did play and I don't recall him the most deserving to be getting games when he did.

He's a bust plain and simple, tough pill to swallow for some it seems.

Mutineer - how about you point out which part of my post you disagree with.... as there are 3 different points... or do you disagree with all 3?

You don't think Hamish has been at the club long enough.

You think his drafting from the 2nd round has been below average.

You think his drafting in the 1st round has not been around average.
No, no and no..

Who said they have to but you're comparison age wise is off the mark...
My main point was that it takes a few AFL years to get to full potential as a small forward. You're the one who's banging on the age criteria, which wasn't my intended point. Any elite small forwards at SANFL doesn't necessarily translate to being elite at AFL level, regardless of age.

So you then actually agree with my initial post if you disagree with all of these as they are the opposite of what I wrote?
I watch a lot of U18's footy and I can see legitimate reasons why our recruiters went the way we did....drafting is not as simple as the knockers think always with the advantage of hindsight.

Last edited:
I watch a lot of U18's footy and I can see legitimate reasons why our recruiters went the way we did....drafting is not as simple as the knockers think always the advantage of hindsight.
I still have no idea why you disagreed with my initial post, where I have said he has done better than the average recruiter?

My main point was that it takes a few AFL years to get to full potential as a small forward. You're the one who's banging on the age criteria, which wasn't my intended point. Any elite small forwards at SANFL doesn't necessarily translate to being elite at AFL level, regardless of age.
I don't ever see James Rowe as ever being an "elite" AFL small forward because he just doesn't have the speed or defensive pressure which are key to being an "elite" small forward. Time will be the judge of that.

And Gooch doesn't fit into the bolded category??? A lot of the games he did get were gifted - we didn't blood much youth around the time when he did play and I don't recall him the most deserving to be getting games when he did.

I'm not one to lament on the loss of Gooch, he's had his chances. Though I think Gooch falls more in the group of bust development, for whatever reasons.

He's a bust, but he definitely wasn't helped by the Pyke/Burton shitshow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back