Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta remember that in any Luke-Edwards-should-be-a-Crow argument, you have to take into account that he was passed up by plenty of other clubs before West Coast at 50. We weren't the only ones to underrate him. Not saying that if becomes a good AFL player, that we didn't blow it, because we were in the box seat. Just saying that across the AFL landscape, Luke wasn't highly rated. We were not alone. After drafting two previous Glenelg midfield 'duds' (Matthew Allan and Luke Partington), it looks like the Eagles may have go third-time lucky.
Clubs underrate players all the time. Underrating a potential father-son is major though

Clubs underrate players all the time. Underrating a potential father-son is major though
I don’t think the issue is “underrating”, but more we valued several others of similar position above Edwards at the time. Berry and Pedlar are the similar types, and they look to be fair picks at this stage. The Rowe pick was probably out of necessity once Stengle was planned to be discharged.

The other thing is that Edwards is playing in a good team, whereas we are currently in a rebuild and playing a much more inexperienced group. Might make more sense to compare Edwards and our draft selections in 2 years time.

I don’t think the issue is “underrating”, but more we valued several others of similar position above Edwards at the time. Berry and Pedlar are the similar types, and they look to be fair picks at this stage. The Rowe pick was probably out of necessity once Stengle was planned to be discharged.

The other thing is that Edwards is playing in a good team, whereas we are currently in a rebuild and playing a much more inexperienced group. Might make more sense to compare Edwards and our draft selections in 2 years time.

Do you try to miss the point or is it just a natural gift?

Bit of a knee jerk reaction at this stage on Edwards

Edwards has played a handful of games and although a positive start, the game is full of young players having a positive start and falling off the cliff

I hope the lad carves out a good career, will I be critical of AFC not for selecting him, probably not

From memory Edwards was the last player selected on draft night and passed up by almost every club

Hopefully he will be a good player for WCE but regardless he was never going to be that player that is critical to a teams premiership chances

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit of a knee jerk reaction at this stage on Edwards

Edwards has played a handful of games and although a positive start, the game is full of young players having a positive start and falling off the cliff

I hope the lad carves out a good career, will I be critical of AFC not for selecting him, probably not

From memory Edwards was the last player selected on draft night and passed up by almost every club

Hopefully he will be a good player for WCE but regardless he was never going to be that player that is critical to a teams premiership chances

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
What is BigFooty without knee jerk reactions? :)

My issue with Hamish and in turn blame has to sit with Reid is I don't think we attacked the right drafts. Picking the best player on draft day is part of his job but knowing 12 or at a stretch 24 months ahead so we can be best positioned is where list managers and recruiters earn their money.

In my opinion our list Management and recruiting decision making at a point in time has been okay overall but I feel we have failed to read the play a few years ahead.

Big article on Foxsports with Sumich talking about how the Crows made a "big list management mistake", because all they had to do was rookie him. Surely that would have upset the Eagles if we rookie listed a guy they drafted?

Big article on Foxsports with Sumich talking about how the Crows made a "big list management mistake", because all they had to do was rookie him. Surely that would have upset the Eagles if we rookie listed a guy they drafted?
Obviously Sumich doesn't understand the National Draft, if we had guaranteed him a rookie spot he was still eligible to every other club in the AFL in the National Draft and if we'd listed him in the National Draft we would have been obliged to match if a bid came for him?
IMO both Berry and Pedlar will have more impactful careers as individuals anyhow and I can fully understand why Hamish and his crew liked Brayden Cook so much with the upside he offered.

The trouble with Luke is he is a midfielder. Picking midfielders is blind darts for Hamish.

Even though he was right under our nose and we had exclusive access, Hamish wouldn't have appreciated what he was looking at.

If only Luke was a defender. Even when Hamish tries to draft midfielders they turn out to be defenders.

The trouble with Luke is he is a midfielder. Picking midfielders is blind darts for Hamish.

Even though he was right under our nose and we had exclusive access, Hamish wouldn't have appreciated what he was looking at.

If only Luke was a defender. Even when Hamish tries to draft midfielders they turn out to be defenders.
What a load of crap, Luke Edwards wasn't a priority because he's more of the same, in fact he's probably slower and less athletic than all of our current midfielders. Luke's best assets are his composure and decision making and obviously our guys didn't think that was enough along with the shit we copped from the Edwards' over brother Jackson likely also a factor..

What a load of crap, Luke Edwards wasn't a priority because he's more of the same, in fact he's probably slower and less athletic than all of our current midfielders. Luke's best assets are his composure and decision making and obviously our guys didn't think that was enough along with the sh*t we copped from the Edwards' over brother Jackson likely also a factor..
Don't bother with matty, he doesn't genuinely believe what he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That team was off the back of Rendell’s picks
M.Crouch (AA and B&F in 2017), Laird (AA in 2017), Cameron, McGovern, Lever and Doedee (tracking very well in the SANFL were some said he should have gotten a few games instead of Lever when we "knew" he was leaving) so nearly 1/3 of the team were Hamish's picks.

My issue with Hamish and in turn blame has to sit with Reid is I don't think we attacked the right drafts. Picking the best player on draft day is part of his job but knowing 12 or at a stretch 24 months ahead so we can be best positioned is where list managers and recruiters earn their money.

In my opinion our list Management and recruiting decision making at a point in time has been okay overall but I feel we have failed to read the play a few years ahead.

Our lack of foresight with team selection has been a debacle.
Last year we won our first wooden spoon because of the Pyke era of team selection consistency.
Failing to get blocks of games in kids has really hurt us, poor recruiting over that period hasn't helped.

We've 4 players with 50-100 games experience.
3 players 100-150 games experience.
O'Brien 50, Murphy 52, Keays 59, Milera 62, Kelly 102, Seedsman 123, Crouch 125,

Our lack of foresight with team selection has been a debacle.
Last year we won our first wooden spoon because of the Pyke era of team selection consistency.
Failing to get blocks of games in kids has really hurt us, poor recruiting over that period hasn't helped.

We've 4 players with 50-100 games experience.
3 players 100-150 games experience.
O'Brien 50, Murphy 52, Keays 59, Milera 62, Kelly 102, Seedsman 123, Crouch 125,
And Kelly possibly traded, Seedsman may only have 1-2 seasons before younger players preferred and Crouch let go via FA.
Pretty bleak.

Hamish took over in 2012. It’s not been a good period for us draft wise as the capital Rendell selected started to expire
Not all his fault but he’s got to take responsibility for all the years collectively. Besides the last 2 years there are some poor selections and or development

M.Crouch (AA and B&F in 2017), Laird (AA in 2017), Cameron, McGovern, Lever and Doedee (tracking very well in the SANFL were some said he should have gotten a few games instead of Lever when we "knew" he was leaving) so nearly 1/3 of the team were Hamish's picks.
Laird was Rendell. Rookie pick in 2011.

I’ve been Hamish-skeptical for some time.

But after the last couple of drafts I’m open to the possibility that I was wrong and should instead have been Pyke-skeptical.

We know Pyke was certainly intimately involved in the process from the discussion around Gallucci / English. He likely gave Hamish parameters for running power and athleticism. Perhaps that would have excluded footballers like Schoenberg and Berry, instead focusing on athletes like Gallucci and Jones.

Oglivie was still with us when Rendell was head of recruiting wasn't he? Other than having final say on who we take, how much can you actually attribute to the head of recruiting?

Oglivie was still with us when Rendell was head of recruiting wasn't he? Other than having final say on who we take, how much can you actually attribute to the head of recruiting?
Rendell was no better overall IMO, I think the loss of Stewart and the dwindling of our scouting stocks has put us back a bit.

I mean I wouldn't listen to Rendell these days, he's on the crocmedia gravy train.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back