Hardwick - How long until he's replaced as Richmond's coach

Who is coach of the year so far in 2017?

• Don Pyke

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • Brendon Bolton

Votes: 58 18.8%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Simon Goodwin

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Other (name in comments)

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 104 33.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait what, i thought this was the last year of his contract? FMD we are a stupid club if youre right
Unfortunately the club extended his contract by an additional 2 years just before the start of the 2016 season. His contract was going to end at the end of 2016 at the time so that makes it to the end of 2018. No doubt it was a stupid decision, it wasn't like another club was knocking on his door to poach him. Collingwood made the same mistake with Buckley, but at least they only extended it by 1 year at the time so it wasn't as bad.

The Hardwick contract extension is totally baffling but I guess for a club that hadn't made consecutive finals series since the mid-70s, Hardwick making the finals three years in a row makes him a proverbial genius by modern standards.

"Are you over 6' tall? (Or even just under?). Have you ever taken an overhead mark in your life? Even at AusKick? Can you even just present as a big target somewhere in the front half of the ground? Then apply to be Richmond's Centre-half Forward! Seriously. We'll take anyone!!! We're not desperate! (Well, OK - a bit desperate). Just keep out of the way of the skinny blond guy wearing No 8, and take your direct opponent with you. Ability to be a second ruck option option not actually required - more a 'nice-to-have'. And if you can kick straight as well, we've got a spot in the line-up for you this weekend!"

(OK - we are desperate).

Hi, my name is Ty and I would like to apply for this role.

For mine Hardwick is the poor man’s Brad Scott (who has significant flaws as it is).

Both started in 2010 after highly disappointing 2009 seasons with coaches leaving halfway through the year. Both generally got positive notices in the first couple of years despite not making finals because they were seen as good developers of lists that were considered highly flawed when they arrived.

But despite lengthy stints in the role, both have only managed to take their respective teams so far; neither have managed to get their teams to finish in the Top 4 after the H&A season in 7 completed seasons and both sides have often been flaky and shown a propensity to lose close matches they should’ve won.

But at least Scott has managed to have notable success in finals; his 4 finals wins is as many Richmond have managed in the past 35 years! The less said about Richmond under Hardwick in finals the better.

Richmond could still potentially scrape into finals but that might be a curse in the long run because I can’t see the side ever being a top club under Hardwick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers haven't been mightily impressive this season and dropped some winnable games, tonight being a case in point. Hardwick has been there for a long time now and the team looks to be mentally fragile, which will cost them come finals time. My question is when will the blowtorch come back on him again?

With luck, never.

I was listening to the game on ABC radio until 3-quarter time. Tigers 5 goals up and seemingly reasonably solid.

I - I - I - I - I - I - I - I - I - I - I - I - should've known better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back