Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said, the club clearly was aiming for him to play WAFL finals, so something has changed between now and then.
The medico and conditioning team lost confident in themselves . One more mistake after langdon and blakely incident they could all get fire if bennell break down in WAFl final series .

"We are raising our eye brows, as we always do with all things related to Harley Bennell" - nice little way to insinuate something more sinister and throwing his off-field issues in for thought. Bloke is a peanut and is struggling for ideas to develop a piss-ant footy related opinion article which even my 8 year old has stopped reading. He's the type of bloke who faps off in the corner watching you pash your gf at the local blue light disco.

These are images that have forever stained the brain! :eek: Lesson learnt, Barrett can play with the local lions at his nearest zoo...."jump in Damo, jump in..."

He successfully played 2 AFL games?
They wanted him to get to 5 WAFL games which is why they sat him in the crowd against West Perth to qualify. There were clearly plans for him to play WAFL finals. Something changed since then. I don't know what, but obviously now the club doesn't think its worth the risk. That's all I was saying.

I'm sure he'll be fit and firing for round one which is the main thing.

They wanted him to get to 5 WAFL games which is why they sat him in the crowd against West Perth to qualify. There were clearly plans for him to play WAFL finals. Something changed since then. I don't know what, but obviously now the club doesn't think its worth the risk. That's all I was saying.

I'm sure he'll be fit and firing for round one which is the main thing.
I'm going to go with him successfully playing two AFL games

He successfully played 2 AFL games?
How many minutes he is on ? Could soreness lead to another serious injury ? WAFL final go up a level in term of intensity compare to home and away games.

I'm going to go with him successfully playing two AFL games
This. What's to be gained by him playing WAFL finals now that he's shown what he did in those two AFL games? Nothing imo. If he hadn't then you might take the risk of playing him in the WAFL finals for his mindset. The qualification was purely to provide options as someone else already said previously.

I don't find it particularly hard to believe that planning for WAFL finals was a two-part prep Bennell for AFL and provide a contingency plan if he doesn't make it back to AFL. Given that; Bennell successfully played in 2 AFL games, has the least amount to prove at and improve from WAFL finals and Fremantle's need to cut our list of WAFL finals eligible players from 18 to 15, I don't think it's hard to believe that Fremantle aren't going ahead with the contingency plan. Lastly given Bennell's injury history and the media's propensity to throw shade at him at any given opportunity, I don't think that Fremantle would intentionally hide any form of injury from the wider community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's clearly unacceptable. If the medical team doesn't have confidence in themselves they should be looking for new jobs.

I don't disagree with you that he might pull up sore playing on eithad surface . Read between the line the medical could be under pressure .

General manager of football operations Chris Bond said the decision to rest Bennell was based on advice from the club’s medical and fitness staff and was in the 24-year-old’s best long-term playing interests.

I don't disagree with you that he might pull up sore playing on eithad surface . Read between the line the medical could be under pressure .

General manager of football operations Chris Bond said the decision to rest Bennell was based on advice from the club’s medical and fitness staff and was in the 24-year-old’s best long-term playing interests.
Ross was hinting that he would miss the Peel finals before the "medical assessment". I think the decision was if he had a "successful" outing against Essendon that was it. Peel finals was a contingency.

Ross was hinting that he would miss the Peel finals before the "medical assessment". I think the decision was if he had a "successful" outing against Essendon that was it. Peel finals was a contingency.
I though Ross said he let the Pro make the decision on medical part in his presser when blakely injured ? So do he involve or not involve when it come to players medical /fitness

Why put a medical statement ? Should just said Ross and coaching staff saw enough of bennell performance and decided not to play him in WAFL final series . One way or the other the media still going to make noise .

Last edited:
Based on what. Ross hinted straight after the Essendon game in the presser that that was enough for Harley even before any medical review.

He'd shown after the 2 AFL games this year, that he's "got it" and play "a bit". The coaches are happy, put him in cotton wool, for an arduous pre season campaign.

I think the club may have overestimated how long bennell would take to get back to playing good football similar to how long fyfe took. I think bennell exceeded expectations and my gut feeling is they have simply just re-evaluted the situation and seen nothin to gain by risking him in the finals. Let him have a break and roll into a full preseason ready to tear 2018 apart.

If Harley was to play WAFL finals and got an impact injury like a broken leg, we'd storm the Cockburn headquarters and burn it to the ground. The club has made a pragmatic decision not to risk a prize asset. I actually think they reckon they've got his calves right.

A fit Harley Bennell in 2018 alongside Sonny, the Hills, Fyfe, Neale and being fed by Sandi and Bubba Darcy could be enough to elevate us into the top 6.

Other than top 6 I agree 100%.
We may do top 8 or 6 next year but I'm keen to have good picks in that draft so I'm hoping it doesn't happen.
Of course if we work up a bit of steam,I'll change my tune.

Hi
As an Eagles fan, I'm used to Barrett's lazy journalism (we're flat track bullies, when we're losing to everyone).... But I thought the implication of his 'Then' bullshit on Bennell was particularly poor. Give a guy a break.

His journalism is in the top handful we have.

His opinion pieces are terrible.

Listen to the sounding board podcast. Knows journalism and the related topics outstandingly but can't give a decent footy opinion for his life.

Needs to stick to cobbling.

Suban, Mzungu, de Boer, C Pearce shouldnt be getting games before a fit Weller, Blakely, Tucker, Hughes, Yarran or, well anyone.

2015 i would have totally agreed, 2017 some of these players won't be on the list. 2016 they should be 5th in line.

I dont know why some of you bother arguing with me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back