Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

It would. Having said that, unless I am mistaken (I may well be), we currently have:

Leaving Vic clubs for non-vic clubs:

Bolton ("Family Reasons")
Baker ("Family Reasons")
Graham (Not sure)
Rioli (Not sure)
Noble ("Family Reasons")
ANB ("Family Reasons" these ones are very legit apparently)

Players who have requested a trade from non-vic to vic clubs

Barrass (Because West Coast dont want to up his contract by as much as he wants)

I feel like I am missing a few?
Oh you've based it on this year's potential trades which haven't even happened yet, you can't draw conclusions off one offseason, and most of those are from Richmond which is a pretty unique situation, it's not a city/state exodus.

It would. Having said that, unless I am mistaken (I may well be), we currently have:

Leaving Vic clubs for non-vic clubs:

Bolton ("Family Reasons")
Baker ("Family Reasons")
Graham (Not sure)
Rioli (Not sure)
Noble ("Family Reasons")
ANB ("Family Reasons" these ones are very legit apparently)

Players who have requested a trade from non-vic to vic clubs

Barrass (Because West Coast dont want to up his contract by as much as he wants)

I feel like I am missing a few?
A follow-on from Vic player go-home factor are the interstate clubs preferentially recruit local players, in some cases where the local player is lesser.

WCE fans. Do you believe that Reid will be a career long Eagle?
Career long is a big call. I think 8-10 years is more likely than not.

He doesn't really have much pull to head to Melbourne. Players are leaving that city more and more actually.
Nope.

Hoping to get 6 years and a flag out of him like Judd did, as a min.

I can see him wanting to extend his career by playing in Melbourne, at a big club, with little travel.

Eagles would match any offer at RFA stage and force a trade. Maybe look a year ealier and trade. What year would that be? 2030/ 31? 27yr old.
Funny you say that Obeanie because I don't see that. Everything a big Melbourne club can offer, we'll be able to offer. I think the Geelong threat is real though.

Funny you say that Obeanie because I don't see that. Everything a big Melbourne club can offer, we'll be able to offer. I think the Geelong threat is real though.

The fact he talks about them so nonchalant about supporting them as a kid, even during a West Coast podcast, is a good sign.

Like it’s not really important anymore so why not talk about it.

Eagles fans like to jump at shadows. The only chatter about him has been that he was happy for an extension but manager told him to wait, and he was pretty pissed at the questions when he got rising star and club was happy to reduce his media (which happened).

The fact he talks about them so nonchalant about supporting them as a kid, even during a West Coast podcast, is a good sign.

Like it’s not really important anymore so why not talk about it.

Eagles fans like to jump at shadows. The only chatter about him has been that he was happy for an extension but manager told him to wait, and he was pretty pissed at the questions when he got rising star and club was happy to reduce his media (which happened).
It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I actually think Perth was an excellent landing spot for him.

Nope.

Hoping to get 6 years and a flag out of him like Judd did, as a min.

I can see him wanting to extend his career by playing in Melbourne, at a big club, with little travel.

Eagles would match any offer at RFA stage and force a trade. Maybe look a year ealier and trade. What year would that be? 2030/ 31? 27yr old.
I don't want to burst your bubble but your 6 years from being a finals team let alone a flag. List is an absolute mess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good. Jaxson Cooney and Wests brother are highly rated mids. Should enjoy kicking it to darcy and JUH for the next 10 years

Ah yeah the ol ‘highly rated’ mids not even on a list yet.

Sounds like the clock is ticking.

No one knows how things will be in six years. Sounds like you will somehow make all the right calls at draft time and we will make wrong ones with better picks though.

Shame for us I guess

Echuca and bendigo pioneers boys seem to enjoy Perth. I'd think if he ever came back, it'd be geelong, he's a jezza Cameron style country boy

This is what most people don't understand. He's a country kid. The Vic Country kids really like living in Perth.

What's surprised me is there was no talk at all about Reid 'looking to come home or angling he's homesick' all year. The only time it came up was because he said in a post game interview after the Dee's win that it was the first year he wasn't having his birthday with his family and it sucked for him.

I remember 2002/2003 there were constant stories of Judd wanting to go home.

This is what most people don't understand. He's a country kid. The Vic Country kids really like living in Perth.

What's surprised me is there was no talk at all about Reid 'looking to come home or angling he's homesick' all year. The only time it came up was because he said in a post game interview after the Dee's win that it was the first year he wasn't having his birthday with his family and it sucked for him.

Braun, Cole, selwood all stayed even Munro and obrien enjoyed it over there.

Long there helps too and even treacy

2002-3 Perth not the same as today. The reason Reid doesn't like talking about his down time is because there is nothing here for a 19 yo. Would be more fun at the barn dance in Tongola.

Chesser also.

West Coast has good retention regardless of where they come from in general.

Players not wanting to leave has probably hurt us recently, but I still wouldn’t change it.

As trade week builds I fear Jon Ralph may just suggest a direct swap of Harley Reid for Liam Baker...

Need to get past this trade period

Gaff, Shuey, Wirrapanda, Schofield, Mundy on the Dockers side. Perth isn't as bad as Victorians think it might be.

Furthermore, interstate clubs are less likely to draft Vic metro kids who don't interview well. Eg sheezel/Wardlaw
Vic clubs will be less likely to draft interstate kids with high draft picks - JHF/Jackson.

The go home factor isn’t just a WA issue.

Vic clubs will be less likely to draft interstate kids with high draft picks - JHF/Jackson.

The go home factor isn’t just a WA issue.
Easier for Vic clubs though, due to having most players drafted from there.

Will be interesting to see how it develops with NSW/QLD growing the game. Would be funny as hell to see a prospective #1 not be tied to an academy and them lose their shit over it.

Easier for Vic clubs though, due to having most players drafted from there.

Will be interesting to see how it develops with NSW/QLD growing the game. Would be funny as hell to see a prospective #1 not be tied to an academy and them lose their shit over it.
Easier for WA teams due to only 2 clubs to pick from - not 9. It’s relative - stop making out that interstate sides are hard done by. It goes both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back