Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Err, what?

Clearly you don't know much about West Coast, from saying this.

It's actually rare for Vic WCE players to leave WA after playing for them, especially high-profile ones.
Would be interested in how well they retain them, given West Coast will probably be down the end of the ladder in the next 4 years.

You do have a good point in player retention. I will say though this is a West Coast that has been a bit of a basketcase since 2018. This isnt the power local based side in the 90s. The fact that names like: Barrass, Waterman, Yeo have been thrown up as names up for trade in media in 2024 suggests to me , the club is no longer able to attract the very best players in the comp. I genuine cant think of a player West Coast has been able to pull in since their last premiership from another club in their prime. Tim Kelly probably the closest? West Coast ended up paying overs for T Kelly. Do admit that if West Coast were somehow able to snag a Chad Warner or a Tim English in 2024 or 2025, it would change my perceptions of the club. Right now, for me, they arent a destination club even for star West Australian players in the AFL.

There is no shame not being able to keep a high profile interstate player. Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, Tanner Bruhn went back to Geelong for that 'country laid back lifestyle'. Money cant buy that sort of thing.

Would be interested in how well they retain them, given West Coast will probably be down the end of the ladder in the next 4 years.

Worked out ok last time, tbh. Apparently Shuey was a huge flight-risk and ended up playing out his career at WCE and is now coaching there.

WCE are very good at settling Vic boys into life in the West.

You do have a good point in player retention. I will say though this is a West Coast that has been a bit of a basketcase since 2018. This isnt the power local based side in the 90s. The fact that names like: Barrass, Waterman, Yeo have been thrown up as names up for trade in media in 2024 suggests to me , the club is no longer able to attract the very best players in the comp.

All good players get thrown up for trade news at some point.

Fact is, those 3 are using the noise to either get a longer contract, or get a bump in wages.

Yeo's already got the contract he wanted, will be interesting to see if WCE bow to the demands of the other 2.

Personally, where we're at as I team I think they're both expendable and could get us a good return in draft picks.

Preference would be to keep them, but it's unlikely Barrass will be a part of any future flag for WCE and whilst Waterman's performing very well, he could be a chip that could net us a good draft pick and allow us to expose Archer Reid, who's been performing very well in the 2s.

I genuine cant think of a player West Coast has been able to pull in since their last premiership from another club in their prime. Tim Kelly probably the closest? West Coast ended up paying overs for T Kelly. Do admit that if West Coast were somehow able to snag a Chad Warner or a Tim English in 2024 or 2025, it would change my perceptions of the club. Right now, for me, they arent a destination club even for star West Australian players in the AFL.

WCE have never really been able to get too many players across in their 'prime', not notable ones anyway.

Never really been the club's MO. They historically prefer the draft to build, then top off with some savvy trades.

There is no shame not being able to keep a high profile interstate player. Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, Tanner Bruhn went back to Geelong for that 'country laid back lifestyle'. Money cant buy that sort of thing.

Perth has a similar lifestyle, just with a far better stadium, weather, beaches/surf, etc.

Geelong probably has less sharks to worry about though, I guess.

Which clubs are genuinely trying to get him, and when?
I guess that depends if he is really enjoying Perth or not. I think if he doesn't extend sometime next year it means he is contemplating 3 years then out, although I think better for him to extend for 1 extra year to get more money for his 3rd year.

Which clubs are genuinely trying to get him, and when?
I guess that depends if he is really enjoying Perth or not. I think if he doesn't extend sometime next year it means he is contemplating 3 years then out, although I think better for him to extend for 1 extra year to get more money for his 3rd year.

Jay Clark and Ralph have both said he's apparently happy to extend his contract into a 4th year already but no rush obviously.

I'm sure all Vic clubs will make some kind of play but this fixation over his contract is weird, when to my knowledge, none of the other draftees with a 3-year contract from last year have extended yet either.

They literally traded away 2 time Brownlow medalist Lachie Neale for what was essentially Jesse Hogan who spiralled out of control due to drug and alcohol issues and left for a 3rd rounder, only managing to recover his career and life once he left Fremantle...

I mean we got JK/Masten for Judd. Fremantle ended up trading Lachie Neale for pick 50
Incorrect, as we also got the currency for Lachie Shultz as steak knives in the Lachie Neale/Hogan deals. We have now flipped him for pick 6 so we are back to square with that deal thanks. Not bad considering Lachie Neale was pick 58, so we’re actually in front again.

Err, what?

It's actually rare for Vic WCE players to leave WA after playing for them, especially high-profile ones.
So does this mean trading pick 2(Sheezel/Wardlaw) and Rioli for Ginbey, Hewett and a future pickwas not due to perceived flight risk but savvy list management.

So does this mean trading pick 2(Sheezel/Wardlaw) and Rioli for Ginbey, Hewett and a future pickwas not due to perceived flight risk but savvy list management.
There's 'perceived' flight risks and players actively refusing to go.

Those 2 were in the latter, which GWS also eluded to.

Thanks for clearing that up
It's utter BS, because if a WA player did that to play for WCE/Freo, the Vic media would have an absolute hissy fit about it.

Instead, we've seen them celebrate the likes of Bailey Smith and Archie Perkins, saying how 'brave' they were by saying they couldn't leave Vic.

It's also a reason why WCE probably avoided Hobbs and went for Chesser in the '21 draft as well(even though Johnson was staring them in the face...).

I know West Coast have been really supportive of managing Reid and allowing him extra time in Victoria etc. But home eventually rings home for alot of players. You look at players like David Mundy , a rare case of a Victorian, settling in WA for his lifetime.

I see West Coast , if they dont have major success in the next 3-5 years, I think the decision may be a bit more easier for Harley Reid. Would West Coast begrudge him if he left the Eagles in a better state than when he arrived? Im talking about possibly making the Finals , when he leaves them. Also maybe winning an Eagles Best and Fairest. I honestly dont they would.

And Reid from an article I read, does strike me as a very much a home boy.

I dont think any Victorian team would phase him.

Rare for Victorians to settle in WA?

Is it?

Luke Shuey.
Will Schofield
Drew Petrie.

Andrew Gaff looks like staying.

Duggan settled with a local girl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Err, what?

Depends how many actual 'high profile' VIC WCE players you would actually consider have ever played for the club?

Chris Judd returned to VIC
Fraser Gehrig returned to VIC.

You've definitely brought in way more WA players back home than you've lost Victorians.

But I also think your % of local club greats is far higher than pretty much every other Non Victorian team.

The likes of Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Glass, Jakovich, Kennedy, McGovern, Mainwearing, Lewis, McKenna, Worsfold, Matera, Sumich, Embley were all Western Australian's.

We else is there?

Shuey? Judd? Wirra?

WCE hardly have a massive list of Victorian names historically to claim awesome retention.

The largest profile one went home when he was your Captain and whilst Gehrig wasn't a Coleman Medalist at the time, he was a former All Australian.

What other Victorian's are there of equivalent standing that have been hunted for recruitment in the last 20 years?

It's utter BS, because if a WA player did that to play for WCE/Freo, the Vic media would have an absolute hissy fit about it.

Instead, we've seen them celebrate the likes of Bailey Smith and Archie Perkins, saying how 'brave' they were by saying they couldn't leave Vic.

It's also a reason why WCE probably avoided Hobbs and went for Chesser in the '21 draft as well(even though Johnson was staring them in the face...).
Any proof of the media calling them brave and celebrating for not wanting to leave their home state?

Depends how many actual 'high profile' VIC WCE players you would actually consider have ever played for the club?

Chris Judd returned to VIC
Fraser Gehrig returned to VIC.

You've definitely brought in way more WA players back home than you've lost Victorians.

But I also think your % of local club greats is far higher than pretty much every other Non Victorian team.

The likes of Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Glass, Jakovich, Kennedy, McGovern, Mainwearing, Lewis, McKenna, Worsfold, Matera, Sumich, Embley were all Western Australian's.

We else is there?

Shuey? Judd? Wirra?

WCE hardly have a massive list of Victorian names historically to claim awesome retention.

The largest profile one went home when he was your Captain and whilst Gehrig wasn't a Coleman Medalist at the time, he was a former All Australian.

What other Victorian's are there of equivalent standing that have been hunted for recruitment in the last 20 years?
Judd's the only high-profile Vic player to leave. Would he have stayed if the drug crisis hadn't arisen? Who knows.

Rumours are he only left because of Bec's career ambitions in Melbourne, he actually wanted to stay.

Gehrig was basically chased out of WA, as his performances prior to being traded were pretty woeful(as was the team's).

Hindsight tells us it was stupid on WCE's part but he was played as a wing/flanker, not the FF beast he ended up becoming.

For your last point, I'd say it's mostly irrelevant. Vic clubs can chase if they want, if a player wants to stay, they will. If they want to leave, they will.

History suggests that WCE WA players end up staying in Vic for the entirety of their careers and most stay in WA after they retire, especially the ones from country Vic.

Judd's the only high-profile Vic player to leave. Would he have stayed if the drug crisis hadn't arisen? Who knows.

Rumours are he only left because of Bec's career ambitions in Melbourne, he actually wanted to stay.

Gehrig was basically chased out of WA, as his performances prior to being traded were pretty woeful(as was the team's).

Hindsight tells us it was stupid on WCE's part but he was played as a wing/flanker, not the FF beast he ended up becoming.

For your last point, I'd say it's mostly irrelevant. Vic clubs can chase if they want, if a player wants to stay, they will. If they want to leave, they will.

History suggests that WCE WA players end up staying in Vic for the entirety of their careers and most stay in WA after they retire, especially the ones from country Vic.

It's relevant if the only 'high profile' VIC player you have ever had in 35 years was Judd and he left.

You certainly can't claim awesome retention if there's virtually no evidence of it, because there's not a massive sample of it.

I'd probably classify Shuey there, he certainly had some interest here and there over the journey, but nothing like rabid interest, probably because of a fair few injuries.

Looking into it, it's actually bizarre how few quality Victorian players WCE have had since their inception.

Any proof of the media calling them brave and celebrating for not wanting to leave their home state?
Dermott Brereton talked about it on one of the footy shows around the time of the draft. A fair bit was made about it due to Smith going around clubs with a medical cert, stating he 'couldn't go interstate.

Similar stuff was spoken about it on the panel shows when Perkins was drafted also.

No I can't find clips on Youtube about it from 2018/20 respectively.

It's relevant if the only 'high profile' VIC player you have ever had in 35 years was Judd and he left.

I'd probably classify Shuey there, he certainly had some interest here and there over the journey, but nothing like rabid interest, probably because of a fair few injuries.

It's not really.

If we were bleeding Vic players, then it'd be a problem.

Plenty of our Vic players have received interest from Vic rivals and decided to stay. Being a 'Star' player wouldn't factor much in the decision, I imagine.

I mean, Reid would only have to look at the 'Big' Vic clubs and see how their fans drop off massively when they tumble down the ladder, yet he's playing to nearly full stadiums despite being in one of the worst teams of the AFL era.

If he does end up leaving, it'll be simply because he wants to be closer to home. Nothing more than that.

Dermott Brereton talked about it on one of the footy shows around the time of the draft. A fair bit was made about it due to Smith going around clubs with a medical cert, stating he 'couldn't go interstate.

Similar stuff was spoken about it on the panel shows when Perkins was drafted also.

No I can't find clips on Youtube about it from 2018/20 respectively.

It's not exclusive to Victorians.

Plenty of WA kids have requested to not be drafted interstate also.

It's not really.

If we were bleeding Vic players, then it'd be a problem.

Plenty of our Vic players have received interest from Vic rivals and decided to stay. Being a 'Star' player wouldn't factor much in the decision, I imagine.

I mean, Reid would only have to look at the 'Big' Vic clubs and see how their fans drop off massively when they tumble down the ladder, yet he's playing to nearly full stadiums despite being in one of the worst teams of the AFL era.

If he does end up leaving, it'll be simply because he wants to be closer to home. Nothing more than that.

Who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back