Hartung, Stewart and Willsmore(to be rookied, due to contract) all delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hartung was never accepted.
Routinely played as sub, then dropped.
Then played through the finals and dropped for the Grand Final.
Shopped around for 3 years straight - Hartung chose to stay at the club each time.
His teammates have always ignored him when he's been in excellent positions, from his very first season.
Supporters have made him a whipping boy, despite having improved in every single year he's been at the club.

Those are the facts.
Hawthorn did not embrace Billy Hartung.
In an IM with GilPender he says that he does not know Billy Hurting. I take him at his word. So he is not his dad, not his friend, not his workmate or his schoolmate. I know this information may reduce my, "consider he families and friends" comments for some, but it does not reduce the impact of the people loosing not just their job but their 1st career: many with all eggs in one basket".

In an IM with GilPender he says that he does not know Billy Hurting. I take him at his word. So he is not his dad, not his friend, not his workmate or his schoolmate. I know this information may reduce my, "consider his families and friends" comments for some, but it does not reduce the impact of the people loosing not just their job but their 1st career: many with all eggs in one basket".
I have played cricket with and against many AFL past and present footballers. One footballer had an undiagnosed congenital heart problem, one was too big and slow, one was supremely confidant, and another was worried.
Which of these guys succeeded?

Moving on Billy rather than Willsmore or Heatherly is mind-blowing to me. Not only is he young, he gives us something that only one other player at the club gives us and that is elite endurance. I must be seriously out of touch with Clarkson and Wright's vision of the list if this is how it is being shaped. Billy will be snapped up very quickly by a club as a DFA. I hope he doesn't come to bite us on the arse.
Billy can be terribly indecisive sometimes, whether position change would help I am not sure, and where to what. I know he does some great things , but lots of time Billy doesn't know where to go , I know the new game we call Aussie rules now goes backwards and sidewards but Billy always seems to get position then possession then is not sure where the hell to go. Duryea was the same , he changed and is required. There are lots of opinions about Billy, but you always expected from him and lots of times he didn't deliver. But when he did he was great , but not often enough, maybe just a fraction off, in decision making. Although in this game now you can have the ball and there is no one to kick it to. For me you just belt it forward if you had no option, maybe that happened to Billy a bit , but he went sideways or backwards, if we like looking like basketball why not more fast breaks , you know, open goal stuff, after a ball bouncing 100 metre sprint.Who can tell with tactics now. But I heard that there were no takers for Billy, someone may know?

Billy can be terribly indecisive sometimes, whether position change would help I am not sure, and where to what. I know he does some great things , but lots of time Billy doesn't know where to go , I know the new game we call Aussie rules now goes backwards and sidewards but Billy always seems to get position then possession then is not sure where the hell to go. Duryea was the same , he changed and is required. There are lots of opinions about Billy, but you always expected from him and lots of times he didn't deliver. But when he did he was great , but not often enough, maybe just a fraction off, in decision making. Although in this game now you can have the ball and there is no one to kick it to. For me you just belt it forward if you had no option, maybe that happened to Billy a bit , but he went sideways or backwards, if we like looking like basketball why not more fast breaks , you know, open goal stuff, after a ball bouncing 100 metre sprint.Who can tell with tactics now. But I heard that there were no takers for Billy, someone may know?

I was pretty confused about the delisting but I'm over it now. People in this thread quickly polarised their opinion about him so that he became either a. an out an out gun or b. the biggest hack in the league. I saw him as a decent young player with flaws but more importantly with an elite talent that we lacked and which was vitally important to a list. Evidently i was wrong. Chances are I will look back and laugh at how I concerned I was that he had been moved on just like I have done with Nathan Lonie, Mark Williams, Jed Anderson et al. You can't dwell on stuff in this gig. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
Not much happening with the Hartung front with the Delisted Free Agency. What are the chances he goes to the draft and nobody gets him, so we snag him with our final rookie pick ? Surely can offer something on a 1 year contract

I was pretty confused about the delisting but I'm over it now. People in this thread quickly polarised their opinion about him so that he became either a. an out an out gun or b. the biggest hack in the league. I saw him as a decent young player with flaws but more importantly with an elite talent that we lacked and which was vitally important to a list. Evidently i was wrong. Chances are I will look back and laugh at how I concerned I was that he had been moved on just like I have done with Nathan Lonie, Mark Williams, Jed Anderson et al. You can't dwell on stuff in this gig. Onwards and upwards.
You were concerned when we moved Lonie on ??
You’re having a lend of me, aren’t you.

I can’t stop laughing at how you nearly tricked me into believing you

I have played cricket with and against many AFL past and present footballers. One footballer had an undiagnosed congenital heart problem, one was too big and slow, one was supremely confidant, and another was worried.

The worried player or the one with the congenital heart problem.

IMO Billie was a very sub standard footballer and not able to play the Hawthorn way. Good luck to him in the future.

Well
The one with the UN diagnosed heart problem could have succeeded as it would depend on the severity & seen as though it was UN diagnosed then it may not have been severe.

The big & slow one probably didn’t make it, as you said he was TOO big & slow.

The supremely confident one may have made it as you need a certain amount of confidence to do well in most things in life.

But

I don’t know why & cant even begin to explain why apart from this thread is mostly about Billy, so, between you & your side kick sticking up for Billy I’m going to tip that the WORRIED player succeeded.

How’d I go ??

The worried player or the one with the congenital heart problem.
Devon Smith was the surpremely confident player who made it. As a cricketer he moved faster at covers than any of us park cricketers could and created a runout, which I finished. But I also saw him let a ball go through his legs for a 4. Devon also smashed from 50 to 120+ while our other batsman scored just 2. Devon Smith is building a good AFL career, but he also has talented as a 20 /20 cricketer.

Of the other 4 players only 1 has made good dollars from AFL: and he owes me $5. Haha

Side comment: if you want to get the cricketer Cameron Ling out (he averages 131) then get an In-swing bowler who bowls short of a length outside off with 2 gullies, and wait him out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well
The one with the UN diagnosed heart problem could have succeeded as it would depend on the severity & seen as though it was UN diagnosed then it may not have been severe.

The big & slow one probably didn’t make it, as you said he was TOO big & slow.

The supremely confident one may have made it as you need a certain amount of confidence to do well in most things in life.

But

I don’t know why & cant even begin to explain why apart from this thread is mostly about Billy, so, between you & your side kick sticking up for Billy I’m going to tip that the WORRIED player succeeded.

How’d I go ??
The guy with the undiagnosed heart problem got to an afl club and then was told, after the issue was found, that he was out. Dream dead. He had done nothing wrong, everything right. But, after extensive health checks, he was delisted.

The guy with the undiagnosed heart problem got to an afl club and then was told, after the issue was found, that he was out. Dream dead. He had done nothing wrong, everything right. But, after extensive health checks, he was delisted.

Jayden Pitt????

You

You go to the other side of the country with the dream of making your afl dream come true. As a boy you have no other plan... This is it.

And then it is ripped from you with no response.

We in Hawks bigfooty need to consider that these people are our friends or family.
Be kind.
Josh Toy

What the **** happened to this thread?

No-one had the heart to talk about Billy any more.

ba_dum_tss_ugly_americans.gif

Not sure what all the angst is for Hartung.

He had a contract offer didn't he and refused to accept it for whatever reason.

That's a lot different from being cut and knowing your dream is over and you never had a chance to give it one more year.

Expect he'll be playing AFL somewhere in 2018 anyway.

He’s done a Xavier Richards
Didn’t Richards have a good job (or at least, degree & good opportunity) to go to?

Not sure where else Billy makes $200+k a year for running fast & avoiding contact unless Kiss-Chasey becomes a televised sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back