Has any current Player got any claim on any "Best ever" tag ?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's impossible to say that Ablett was the best ever individual talent ever to play.

Unfair to the likes of Laurie Nash, Ron Todd & John Coleman.
These are our opinions based on our own football support over our lifetimes, my case 47 years of seeing Geelong's games. Those who are old enough to be able to compare the skills of Ablett vs Nash, Todd, Coleman etc. can state their opinions and comparisons. Ablett may have been a flawed genius, but nobody who has seen what he could do ALL OVER THE GROUND could dispute his genius as a footballer. His total package of spec marks, >60m goals on the run or standing start, tackling, speed on the ground etc. does not need to be rehashed, or maybe it does.

So in my lifetime, and talking to those who have seen all those mentioned, it is possible for me to say Ablett is the best ever etc.. and there, it's been said again.

These are our opinions based on our own football support over our lifetimes, my case 47 years of seeing Geelong's games. Those who are old enough to be able to compare the skills of Ablett vs Nash, Todd, Coleman etc. can state their opinions and comparisons. Ablett may have been a flawed genius, but nobody who has seen what he could do ALL OVER THE GROUND could dispute his genius as a footballer. His total package of spec marks, >60m goals on the run or standing start, tackling, speed on the ground etc. does not need to be rehashed, or maybe it does.

So in my lifetime, and talking to those who have seen all those mentioned, it is possible for me to say Ablett is the best ever etc.. and there, it's been said again.

You should say Ablett was the most talented in your lifetime. Incorrect to say "best ever".

No one is disputing his genius but it's unfair to the likes of Todd, Laurie Nash & Coleman to suggest Ablett has them covered.

Was a pretty lethal FF.
Or does 1030 goals at an average of 3.85 per game and 3 Coleman medals ean nothing.

Is that wilfull misunderstanding or just dull intellect? The response was to the claim that Ablett could be a star anywhere. You know. Somewhere other than FF.

Truth is he could not. Talent yes. Application (even enough to turn up to training) no. Had the talent to make a bloke like Pavlich look like a one dimensional plodder, but never took the trouble to use it.

Kudos for GAJ who started out the same way, and decided to get his finger out.

Well clearly you never saw him play live so highlight reels are all you'll ever see.
I am sorry for your misfortune.

Nice try honey. I did. Even paid me money just to go see him play, from time to time. And on most of those occasions was disappointed by a half arsed going through the motions effort, with the odd flash of brilliance.

You can rewrite history as much as you want. Geelong could never control the man even to the point of getting him to turn up to every third training run. What else could be done but to stick him in the square? Lack of fitness didn't much hurt there in those days, and the selfishness can be made to look OK too.

Is that wilfull misunderstanding or just dull intellect? The response was to the claim that Ablett could be a star anywhere. You know. Somewhere other than FF.

Truth is he could not. Talent yes. Application (even enough to turn up to training) no. Had the talent to make a bloke like Pavlich look like a one dimensional plodder, but never took the trouble to use it.

Kudos for GAJ who started out the same way, and decided to get his finger out.

Nice try honey. I did. Even paid me money just to go see him play, from time to time. And on most of those occasions was disappointed by a half arsed going through the motions effort, with the odd flash of brilliance.

You can rewrite history as much as you want. Geelong could never control the man even to the point of getting him to turn up to every third training run. What else could be done but to stick him in the square? Lack of fitness didn't much hurt there in those days, and the selfishness can be made to look OK too.
You are the one rewriting history. "Stick him in the square"? That came at the age of 31.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone but a Geelong supporter say Gary Ablett Senior was the greatest of all time. He is definitley in the top 20, but no way is he number one.

In all those polls that experts compile Ablett is usually somewhere between 5th to 15th. I trust there opinions more than Geelong supporters on BF. His son might actually turn out better as well.

:thumbsu: - how good would he have been with todays medical treatment to assist after his injury?

such a clean style as well.

Yeah Peter Hudson averaging 5.64 goals per game is insane. Shame his career got cut short. Had he kept that average up over 250 games he could have had claim to the greatest ever

You are the one rewriting history. "Stick him in the square"? That came at the age of 31.

Ummm. Bullshit.

Go past your internet understanding of the game. You can call it what you like, but some four years earlier the 1989 GF performance might not have been as a FF in name but that's sure as hell the role he played.

Ummm. Bullshit.

Go past your internet understanding of the game. You can call it what you like, but some four years earlier the 1989 GF performance might not have been as a FF in name but that's sure as hell the role he played.
Way to grab one game and use it to describe a career.

Secondly I would call his 1989 grand final game as mostly from a half-forward flank, much like a large part of his career. Probably very similar to a role that Steve Johnson would play now. Most of his goals come from either marks around the 50 or snaps from in play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really able to be quantified yet, but in years to come debate between Reiwoldt, Hodge, Goddard, et al will rage on who is the best number 1 draft pick ever.

Agree with Goodes going close for best ever indigenous player, though I'm not sure that's a tag that he would particularly like

Agree Franklin's not the best ever forward for the Hawks, but let's be fair, he's had some pretty stiff competition. Hudson and Dunstall went OK :thumbsu:

Way to grab one game and use it to describe a career.

Secondly I would call his 1989 grand final game as mostly from a half-forward flank, much like a large part of his career. Probably very similar to a role that Steve Johnson would play now. Most of his goals come from either marks around the 50 or snaps from in play.

Umm. No. BTW - nice job of backing both horses though.

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc6118yATwc

Tell me. How many of these scoring passages started with Ablett any more than 15 metres from goal?

The centre clearance goals are particularly illustrative. As talented as Ablett may have been, he's like everybody else. Hit a kick at full speed at 40 from the centre bounce, then guess where you started.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone but a Geelong supporter say Gary Ablett Senior was the greatest of all time. He is definitley in the top 20, but no way is he number one.

In all those polls that experts compile Ablett is usually somewhere between 5th to 15th. I trust there opinions more than Geelong supporters on BF. His son might actually turn out better as well.
While he was playing, he was touted by MOST experts as the greatest. Who named him God? It was only after his well published private life went awry that it was not politically correct to rank him #1. Who really cares ? You have your opinion, you think you are correct. I have my opinion, and I know I'm correct. Hawthorn people never want to acknowledge Ablett was that good after they couldn't keep him, but of course they did win flags without him and Geelong never got one with him. We know. Junior has paid us and Snr back.

I don't think Judd will get there but he may well put his name in the top bracket. I thought after 2008 that Lance Franklin may go on to become the best ever but he hasn't shown that form since sadly.

Didn't see much Hawks last year apparently?

Didn't see much Hawks last year apparently?

Yeah. You're so right.

If he keeps up that level of performance for the rest of his career he'll be nearly as good as Bernie Quinlan.

But still a long way from the great power forwards.

Ummm. Bullshit.

what is your REAL gripe with the Great Man? Brownless was our FF, Stoneham CHF, Ablett HFF. Nothing too complex. That it took the teams best defenders to play on him, usuall FB's like Silvagni, Langford, does not mean he was FF. FF he was as has been cited, when Blight decided he could preserve his career at age 31 by plonking him at FF. Ablett kept himself fit enough to play HBF, Wing, HFF, and finally FF.

There was a time in 85 we had a centre line of Ablett Williams Turner, and it was Ablett who stood out. All were AA's. Ask Diesel who the best ever player that he has played with and seen is.

When he kicked 14 goals against Richmond at the G , it was not as a forward, but as a winger floating forward.

When he kicked 9 against Hawks in the 89 GF, he went up for ruck hitouts 50-60 metres out and goaled from that, as well as leading from HFF.

When he got 35 possessions against WCE from a HBF, nobody could keep up with him. Not until his very last season was fitness really an issue, and by that stage, he was gone in many ways. If that's your only memories of him, that is sad. We don't need the internet, just fantastic memories. You obviously need to research before you spout forth your negative biase. Again, what is the real gripe here.

While he was playing, he was touted by MOST experts as the greatest.

If by greatest you mean the journos in the Geelong Advertiser then maybe you're right.

When I was growing up in the 90s Ablett was just the 3rd best full forward of his era. Yes I know he won 3 Colemans but that was when Ablett and Dunstall were playing injured or reported lots, etc.

If by greatest you mean the journos in the Geelong Advertiser then maybe you're right.

When I was growing up in the 90s Ablett was just the 3rd best full forward of his era. Yes I know he won 3 Colemans but that was when Ablett and Dunstall were playing injured or reported lots, etc.
He won three Colemans in the first three years he played full-forward, well into his 30s. From memory (may be incorrect) the first man ever to win three consecutive Colemans.

You could say Lockett and Dunstall were lucky he didn't play there for his entire career. To think he almost kicked as many goals as them across his career is staggering really. And Ablett was reported almost as often as any.

Anyway that's enough from me, this is completely off topic and Hodgepodge is once again bringing his Bay 13 trolls to the main board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has any current Player got any claim on any "Best ever" tag ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back