Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

From yesterday

For the record I think Andrew Doyle is a hack, but is this not evidence of being cancelled ?

Yep, and Doyle will be fine. But that's not the issue that really matters. Likely he would have had other acts doing it with him and if that's the case, they suffer too. And of course the language used in that release - "violating our space"... That's the puritanical root I mentioned. Sanctity and sacred cows etc.

There is a 3rd team, the one in the middle where most of us are.

Yeah i'm not sold on this thing where everyone is by default one side of this war, or the other, and i'd think that not every issue in the world is left vs right.

Plenty of venues are selective on what gigs they hold. Do you think a church hall would host a Death Metal band?

That doesn't mean Death Metal has been cancelled.
Bit different though in this situation

The event was booked in, people bought tickets (knowing what the show was) and then a vocal mob got together and put pressure on the venue to cancel the show.

(I find it very difficult to believe the venue had no idea what show they were hosting)

Bit different though in this situation

The event was booked in, people bought tickets (knowing what the show was) and then a vocal mob got together and put pressure on the venue to cancel the show.

(I find it very difficult to believe the venue had no idea what show they were hosting)

And putting out a call claiming they are being cancelled opens up an entirely new audience to them.

They literally uncancelled themselves lol

Free marketing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And putting out a call claiming they are being cancelled opens up an entirely new audience to them.

They literally uncancelled themselves lol

Free marketing.
I think we have different beliefs of what cancel culture is

I agree with you. It won't affect Andrew career, and in fact it will probably result in more weird nerds wanting to go and see him.

But the isolated event of a venue cancelling a previously agreed to show based on backlash around values I would consider to be cancel culture.

I think we have different beliefs of what cancel culture is

I agree with you. It won't affect Andrew career, and in fact it will probably result in more weird nerds wanting to go and see him.

But the isolated event of a venue cancelling a previously agreed to show based on backlash around values I would consider to be cancel culture.

He blocked me from his twitter venue. No idea who he is. Will assume he is Avi Yemini adjacent.

1692165579322.png

Where do we draw the line. Was Hitler a victim of cancel culture?

If FM radio drops Kyle Sandilands due to complaints, has he been cancelled? What culture is Kyle, for that matter?

Rolf Harris probably was.
Margaret Court?

I thought that this was fairly interesting. How one person can get your major sponsors to pull out.

and improve your ratings.

Where do we draw the line. Was Hitler a victim of cancel culture?

Hitler has been retroactively cancelled. If you say something that people don't like, people (including audiences, employers, and advertisers) might not want to work with you. It's not a new concept, and that's all that being "cancelled" is.

I would bet that every time someone is "cancelled" you can trace it back to something dumb that they said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back