Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean Cleese is just complaining that some people don't find him funny anymore

What do you mean I can't make the same jokes I made 40 years ago!

This is outrageous, I'm being cancelled he says while announcing new deals to talk about how he's been cancelled

The only people that use the term cancel culture are the slack jawed mouth breathers that got played by Murdoch (SKY/FOX/HUN) for redneck hillbilly yokels.

Ole Rupe keeps the great unwashed in a constant state of outrage at those damn lefties and their evil gender agenda and feeds the terrified wingnuts loony conspiracy after loony conspiracy, all the while praying none of those walking knobs with ears ever realize they are paying more tax than him.

and ps: if you target minorities, are racist or sexist, hell I'm gonna throw fascist in as well, then you need to be cancelled, in the old days you'd have been ejected from the tribe and the wolves would have torn you to pieces... sometimes you can't improve on the old ways.

View attachment 1774954

My main point was that he ( Cleese) wasn't a slack jawed southern usa yokel.

This is outrageous, I'm being cancelled he says while announcing new deals to talk about how he's been cancelled
That's not really my take on it, in this case he answers the questions he's asked but would like the interviewer to shut up about it.

Do we really need to be taking our leads from people who find Shakespeare a bit too blue?
Even way back in my pre-cable TV high school days, we knew enough(and not from health classes) and were sexually active enough to be totally bored with Shakespeare's witty ways of describing sex. Nobody batted an eyelid at any of it, though I did remember someone somewhere bemoaning a black Moor with a white wife. :rolleyes:

This lunacy they have unleashed is spinning out of control.

That's not really my take on it, in this case he answers the questions he's asked but would like the interviewer to shut up about it.

god he's a w***er

Seems being cancelled is pretty lucrative these days.

Seems being cancelled is pretty lucrative these days.
It's true at least people aren't being drowned for being witches these days (not unlike that scene from the Holy Grail film), but it's still odd that so many are fans of the modern equivalent.

It's true at least people aren't being drowned for being witches these days (not unlike that scene from the Holy Grail film), but it's still odd that so many are fans of the modern equivalent.

What is the modern equivalent? Seems he has been given a platform to complain about being criticized.

If that's it, it's a very poor analogy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the conservative comedy answer to cancel culture? To close off parts of society that offends them? To join in on cancellation too?

August 28, 2021
These are dark times, but we need some comic relief if only to preserve our sanity.

Dry Bar Comedy is not for everyone. If you crave foul language, dirty jokes, and “woke” political commentary, you might want to skip this upstart comic production company based in Utah

On the other hand, if you want to watch accomplished comedians ply their stand-up art minus offensive elements, Dry Bar is the way to go. It’s part of a fast-growing counterculture amid an explosion in online entertainment.

In 2020, Americans spent more than $30 billion on digital amusements, a 21 percent increase from 2019, according to Statista.com. The sheltering-in-place COVID-19 economy accounted for much of the increase, no doubt.

But an underreported phenomenon is the rise of an entertainment genre outside Hollywood that appeals to Americans tired of the violence, sex, and foul language found in most Hollywood products

Some pro-faith, pro-family viewers are dropping Netflix and Prime Video and turning to pro-faith, pro-family competitors like INSP, UP, VidAngel, and PureFlix, according to Chris DeVille, writing in The Atlantic.

For years, Christians and others have been building an alternative society under the media’s radar, with schools, books, and movies that convey traditional values or at least don’t violate them. But it’s been only recently that production quality has ticked up exponentially in the film and TV genres...

I know in stand-up, which is most of what 'Dry Bar Comedy' deals with, you live and you die based on audience reaction. If you know the crowd is into one thing and you come out with something wildly different, it might kill your act stone dead.

Most if not all standup comedians will self-censor at some point. The anticipation of cancellation from beyond leads to cancellation from within.

All this worry of cancel-culture within comedy these days - are comics who built their acts on edginess and offence and are now aghast at possibly having to modify their approach just not reading the room correctly anymore?

Have elements of cancel culture always been with stand-up comedy from the very beginning?

What is the modern equivalent? Seems he has been given a platform to complain about being criticized.

If that's it, it's a very poor analogy.
I'm not responding directly to whatever Cleese has said. I'm talking about what we call cancel culture now, which is a tendency for puritanical demands for artists or speakers of varying flavours to have their work censored or not shown at all. Sometimes, it's done by the in-group themselves. This used to be the domain of social and religious conservatives alone, but that's changed (hence "wokism" is often insulted as a new religion). Used to be the liberals who said things like, "If you don't like it, don't watch." Shutting down views and art etc because something about it might not be pleasant or could even be offensive to some is quite tyrannical. Shouldn't matter what the status of the target is. Principles matter, and IMO, liberal principles are usually the best ones for society rather than whatever drives people to mob an author for writing about characters they aren't "allowed" to, or comedians who are doing their jobs by making fun of sacred cows.

I think when the conversation becomes about people with enough fame that they aren't truly affected, it's missing the point entirely, and it's also somewhat de-humanising too, as if having money is a shield against it. So many people are crippled with negative emotions when they get negative feedback from one person or maybe their small social group (and most people know how that feels), yet thousands of people saying terrible things about a famous person would have no effect, and they aren't worthy of empathy on personal level? It's all a bit gross to me.

cancel culture
Doesn't exist, I'm afraid.

It's conservative power turned back on them with good purpose, not just stopping valid dissent.

The people treated as the butt of homophobic, sexist, and racist jokes and entertainment are just saying "**** off" and putting some weight behind it.

Doesn't exist, I'm afraid.

It's conservative power turned back on them with good purpose, not just stopping valid dissent.

The people treated as the butt of homophobic, sexist, and racist jokes and entertainment are just saying "* off" and putting some weight behind it.
Yeah, I guess everything is much easier if you just think in black and white and ignore whatever doesn't fit.

I'm not responding directly to whatever Cleese has said. I'm talking about what we call cancel culture now, which is a tendency for puritanical demands for artists or speakers of varying flavours to have their work censored or not shown at all. Sometimes, it's done by the in-group themselves. This used to be the domain of social and religious conservatives alone, but that's changed (hence "wokism" is often insulted as a new religion). Used to be the liberals who said things like, "If you don't like it, don't watch." Shutting down views and art etc because something about it might not be pleasant or could even be offensive to some is quite tyrannical. Shouldn't matter what the status of the target is. Principles matter, and IMO, liberal principles are usually the best ones for society rather than whatever drives people to mob an author for writing about characters they aren't "allowed" to, or comedians who are doing their jobs by making fun of sacred cows.

I think when the conversation becomes about people with enough fame that they aren't truly affected, it's missing the point entirely, and it's also somewhat de-humanising too, as if having money is a shield against it. So many people are crippled with negative emotions when they get negative feedback from one person or maybe their small social group (and most people know how that feels), yet thousands of people saying terrible things about a famous person would have no effect, and they aren't worthy of empathy on personal level? It's all a bit gross to me.

Do you think it's weird that only conservatives claim they are being cancelled, whilst at the same time waging war against Bud Light or Target?

Do you think it's weird that only conservatives claim they are being cancelled, whilst at the same time waging war against Bud Light or Target?
They aren't the only ones though. Most comedians aren't conservative. Hardly any writers are, same as other artists and academics. But it happens to them just as much.

They aren't the only ones though. Most comedians aren't conservative. Hardly any writers are, same as other artists and academics. But it happens to them just as much.

Dunno. The only examples I can really think of are conservatives like Piers Morgan and Steve Price appearing on multiple platforms, claiming they have been cancelled. As for comedians, being dropped from a platform doesn't mean they are cancelled, it's just that they have a shelf life.

Cleese hasn't been funny in decades, he should just accept that, not make excuses.

But let's face it, he's rich, old, male and white, what else is he gonna say?

Here's the basic difference between the left and the right:

Right: Law of the jungle, kill or be killed, it's not cheating, it's an edge, the cream will rise to the top and the rest don't deserve any power, they are merely to be used for the furtherment of the 'real' people. Smacks of Nazism I know but that's pretty much it.

Left: We're all in this together, not everyone is born rich or powerful or can ever have access to those things so they need a helping hand from their brothers and sisters because everyone despite race age sex preference etc is equal, what happens to one of us happens to us all.

Choose your team.
There is a 3rd team, the one in the middle where most of us are.

Dunno. The only examples I can really think of are conservatives like Piers Morgan and Steve Price appearing on multiple platforms, claiming they have been cancelled. As for comedians, being dropped from a platform doesn't mean they are cancelled, it's just that they have a shelf life.
There's tonnes of stories out there if you look for them. The ones you mentioned there are prominent as they are about mainstream media members. It only takes a little look under the hood to see that the problem runs deeper than that.

There's tonnes of stories out there if you look for them. The ones you mentioned there are prominent as they are about mainstream media members. It only takes a little look under the hood to see that the problem runs deeper than that.

There's simply not enough air time for all the living comedians to thrive. Same reason Pop songs don't remain in the charts for long.

But you can still access them if you look under the hood.

There's simply not enough air time for all the living comedians to thrive. Same reason Pop songs don't remain in the charts for long.

But you can still access them if you look under the hood.
Every artist and academic is competing for air time. I don't really think that's a significant factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back