Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

I dare say what’s followed Scott at north is even grimmer.

Not saying that is ports future without Hinkley mind you.

What is a pass mark for port this year for fans to be happy with Hinkley? If it’s GF or bust, I think that’s a bit unrealistic.

FWIW I think it’s time for someone else to have a go at Port.
What followed was certainly grimmer, but it was all down to the Brad Scott era in any case, terrible recruitment, terrible player development, he left us with a shithouse list. Sure, there are plenty of people responsible for this but as the head coach he wears it. Let's not forget Scott got the arse when he came to the board saying "we need a rebuild", two years after we had supposedly started the rebuild.

Port will not go through the same shit we did, they already have 3 great pieces to build a team around in JHF, Butters and Rozee. They have better senior players than we did too, although I think it's still pretty shaky.

A GF is undoubtedly the minimum pass mark. He is in his 12th year 12 and they have played finals plenty in recent years. Anything less than a GF is not good enough.

Not that they are any chance. Who are they going to beat in a prelim out of Swans, Pies, Blues or GWS? Very much doubt they even make a prelim.

They'll probably end up being the first team to lose a final to the Bombres in 20 years.

While that is good for the long term, not sure that much money is worth the loss of control. 1) you can't spend it on much and 2) the more it sits there the more the board think they are a dragon sitting on the treasure (see West Coast for an example of a club with huge assets that it does absolutely nothing with)*

*However from what I understand of SA football, the knives would be out for Port the second they had a financial stumble so I do see why.

I don't see why a member run club can't achieve financial success either, plenty do.
Is that correct about West Coast? I thought the WAFC owned both WA clubs and all their assets

Josh Carr will have this squad consistently pushing the top 4 from
2025 - 2030 with a game style that will not disintegrate under pressure .

There is no interest from the club board and executives to hand the club back to the members. It is 80% coroporatised with a token 20% to the members to elect 2 representatives.

I asked this question to the CEO during a club dinner. His response that the club did not want a board full of member elected ex-footballers running the show.
A complete disrespect to the members that once controlled this club with great success prior to our entry into the AFL.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The point is that membership is purely financial, we can’t change the club as members.
Your club changed its entire board a couple of years back, right? Because the members weren’t happy.
We can’t do that. We don’t have that lever.
So what, don’t leave the club, don’t boo at games, sit and watch mediocrity and be clap happy that we’re not completely sh*t?

We need a well run club. We need external accountability. We need a club where the members can elect/fire the board, the board can elect/fire the chair, and the chair can elect/fire the coach.
Right, thanks for curing my ignorance. Your decision makes sense.

Looks like the corporate boys stole your club. Be good to get it back.

images

the title of this tread is legendary :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken Hinkley and Brad Scott are kindred souls, both frauds who run with the same excuses year after year.
Both good at pulling the wool over the eyes, of naive and not particularly football literate presidents (Kochie and JB).

$1.01 that neither will ever coach a premiership, just don't have it in them.

Brad Scotts dragging another dog shit list to the top 4. He's potentially the best coach in the game.

Brad Scotts dragging another dog shit list to the top 4. He's potentially the best coach in the game.
Mediocre list with a soft draw. He has enough quality on the list to beat the garbage sides, but won't threaten the contenders.
Just like us in the 2010s and Port under Hinkley. They'll crap their dacks and fall short when it really matters.
He's taking them on a merry dance to nowhere, I've seen the movie before.

Wow just got my weekly update of power footy club from the footy shows.

Total shit show. White anting by Warren tredeea in order to prop up his guy Josh carr.

Power needs to get aggressive and weed out tredder and Josh carr. Don't sit back and let a Kevin Sheedy dons situation occur

Look I don't like either Scott but they can coach, might be 2 of the top 4 most of the last decade.

I want to McRae in that top bracket but he had been beautifully resourced, maybe he needs to win another.

Geelong aren't that well resourced, I think Scott and his assistants have worked miracles down there- how many spuds become decent at the Cats, and how many ex-Cats get better for leaving?

Brad Scott at North and Ken Hinkley at Port have done amazing things with less than nearly all other clubs. Maybe its time for Ken to go, but I'll not ever spit on what he's done, I think he's admirable even hes if not likeable.

Total shit show. White anting by Warren tredeea in order to prop up his guy Josh carr.

Power needs to get aggressive and weed out tredder and Josh carr. Don't sit back and let a Kevin Sheedy dons situation occur
Tredders is not going anywhere. He was elected by the members with the biggest voting attendance in club history.

Port members want a voice in our very limiting board. The members only get to elect 2 out of the 10 board members. The rest of the board are self appointed by Koch and approved by the AFL.

If the board sacks Tredders tomorrow, there will be a riot at Alberton.

Look I don't like either Scott but they can coach, might be 2 of the top 4 most of the last decade.

I want to McRae in that top bracket but he had been beautifully resourced, maybe he needs to win another.

Geelong aren't that well resourced, I think Scott and his assistants have worked miracles down there- how many spuds become decent at the Cats, and how many ex-Cats get better for leaving?

Brad Scott at North and Ken Hinkley at Port have done amazing things with less than nearly all other clubs. Maybe its time for Ken to go, but I'll not ever spit on what he's done, I think he's admirable even hes if not likeable.
Why do you think Craig Macrae is "better resourced" than Chris Scott? In what way? Do you think Geelong don't use up their soft cap to the max like Collingwood do or something?

The media must love you.

So you listened to the radio with what they were talking about or just the bit they cut to put on a footy show?

The white anting is coming from the media towards all the supporters and now Warren because they want better than 12 years of nothing?

It’s the best media beat up in a long time.

Kane. Whateley are the biggest muppets going with their protection racket for Ken.

McRae is definitely up there. Has overachieved for sure. Brad Scott overachieves with his teams most seasons. He's very very good at what he does. Chris Scott is the same. I think Sam Mitchell is also very good in this regard.

Tredders is not going anywhere. He was elected by the members with the biggest voting attendance in club history.

Port members want a voice in our very limiting board. The members only get to elect 2 out of the 10 board members. The rest of the board are self appointed by Koch and approved by the AFL.

If the board sacks Tredders tomorrow, there will be a riot at Alberton.

The media must love you.

So you listened to the radio with what they were talking about or just the bit they cut to put on a footy show?

The white anting is coming from the media towards all the supporters and now Warren because they want better than 12 years of nothing?

It’s the best media beat up in a long time.

Kane. Whateley are the biggest muppets going with their protection racket for Ken.
You're all absolutely wasting your time engaging with random260, he's not going to engage with the arguments you're making at all. Contributes nothing to these threads other than liking any pro-Hinkley comments, disliking any anti-Hinkley comments, spitting out the most biased pro-Hinkley shit imaginable as if the PAFC exists solely as a vehicle to give Hinkley guaranteed employment for life, and ignoring any and all counterarguments. Weird unit. Just put him on ignore like I have.

The easy and most comfortable answer for Port fans is; Hinkley is the problem.

The cold reality is a little different.

Rozee is not the player Port fans like to convey to everyone he is. He is not an A grade midfielder in almost all advanced stat metrics and never really has been despite the AA honors and coaches votes. He's a poor ball user and decision maker.

JHF isn't a topline midfielder just yet. He is when he has it, he just doesn't get enough of it consistently at the moment.

Drew is a more than solid role player that most teams need.

Wines is fairly cooked since he's down to 3.5 clearances per game from still fairly high usage numbers. Port I think have known this for a while and would love to let him go if they could.

It's basically Butters and a bunch of B+/B midfielders at the moment, who can roll out the odd A grade performance. Which supports the inconsistency they show between weeks.

Who else is there?

Bergman was described as the next coming of Fyfe a few years ago and he's still basically a 15 disposal a game flanker who has had no impact when put in the middle, to the point Hinkley has given up exposing him there.

Mead? No.

Boak is 36 years old and is being hidden on the flanks and then there's SPP, Burton and Narkle.....

Sinn and Jones don't seem to be working out.

They don't have any real midfield depth like the best sides.

Their talls are fairly similar, Georgiadies, Marshall, Rioli, Finlayson are all good footballers, again B/B+ types that would be good footballers in most sides. But none of them are elite.

Their other elite positional player was Aliir (who has fallen off a cliff) and then it's probably Houston who is a back pocket and doesn't really move the needle in reality.

They outlayed even more draft capital on 2 pretty average defenders and a bunch of rucks after spending it all the previous 2 years on JHF/Rioli.

Their problem is they don't have the depth of elite players the top sides have and they haven't hit the draft in years and don't have their top pick this year. They poached an elite prospect JHF across, but that's a single player.

They have enough good B/B+ types to be a finals side contender and enough flaky B+ types like Rozee who throw in the odd worldy, to make them seem better than they are on occasion.

I honestly think 6th-12th is their actual spot within the comp.

Given their lack of kids the last few years, they are probably entering no-mans land from a list management perspective.

I see no natural improvement from below from anyone really other than JHF. He needs to explode into a top 5 player sooner rather than later to change their fortunes. Maybe Lord, but he probably projects into another one of these very good, but not great players.

To make a run at a flag, they are going to have to rely on career best seasons from a bunch of these good B graders, a possibility I guess if you have a McRae like impact from a new coach.

Otherwise they are going to have to nail some later picks, or uncover some prospects, or manage to snag a few more free agents to move out of this spot imo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back