Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence dude but trying to justify booing your own coach, particularly one who has devoted over a decade to your club is deranged. It’s not something most supporters would ever do.

I come from a big Port family. All my aunties uncles cousins, etc, so I understand the frustration of not going to that next level. Could another coach have done better? Perhaps, perhaps not. But regardless, he’s been a loyal servant of that club and he’s done well and probably over performed at times which has probably warped fans expectations.

As I said, I think it’s time for a new direction, and probably a reset of the list. Koch’s time is probably up too. But booing your own, urghh…

He's not some volunteer boot studder giving up his free time. He's in a very highly paid position in what's meant to be a competitive industry where results matter. Hes set the ****ing world record for least successful tenure at one club.

Not only that, but he stopped being accountable about 8 years ago. Refuses to attend club events where he might get difficult questions. Cries and moans and rings up to complain when a media person dares to mention him in a negative light.

This is a guy who tried and failed to get a head coaches job several times, and only got the port gig because we were desperate. Didn't even interview because he was scared.

He's not "loyal". He's a parasite wringing every last drop of blood/money he can out of the club. He threatened to walk to gold coast in 2017 (should have ****ing gone) but kochsucker caved in and handed him an extension.

He has spit on the club traditions with bullshit like dual captaincy, every major milestone game he's utterly failed. He's a fraud and a shit bloke to boot.

Kenny isn't the one strolling down the field and kicking the ball out on the full
Kenny can't lay the tackles nor kick the goals.

The players are the reason why Port are losing.

Why ever sack any coach then? It's the players who stroll down the field and kick the ball out on the full.

I know you're a troll, but that's that worlds ****ing dumbest argument.

Nothing is ever Kenny's fault. You can bet your ass he'll take credit and dance a little jig when we win a meaningless home and away game though.

He's not some volunteer boot studder giving up his free time. He's in a very highly paid position in what's meant to be a competitive industry where results matter. Hes set the ****ing world record for least successful tenure at one club.

Not only that, but he stopped being accountable about 8 years ago. Refuses to attend club events where he might get difficult questions. Cries and moans and rings up to complain when a media person dares to mention him in a negative light.

This is a guy who tried and failed to get a head coaches job several times, and only got the port gig because we were desperate. Didn't even interview because he was scared.

He's not "loyal". He's a parasite wringing every last drop of blood/money he can out of the club. He threatened to walk to gold coast in 2017 (should have ****ing gone) but kochsucker caved in and handed him an extension.

He has spit on the club traditions with bullshit like dual captaincy, every major milestone game he's utterly failed. He's a fraud and a shit bloke to boot.
You're living on another planet dude. His coaching record is 60%+, that's higher than Clarko.

And that's with a list that has never looks close to the Hawks throughout that period, or just about any other team in the comp.

You're living on another planet dude. His coaching record is 60%+, that's higher than Clarko.

And that's with a list that has never looks close to the Hawks throughout that period, or just about any other team in the comp.

How many flags has he got compared to clarko? How many grand finals?

How shit is the list if it's able to finish top 4? Top 2?

You have no ****ing idea. You dont follow us, so you have no idea the shit we've been through.

You have no ****ing clue about the list, because you don't even watch us play.

The list that is so shit, he's had:
  • Robbie Gray AFLMVP 2014 - best player in the comp
  • Ollie wines Brownlow - umpires rated him the best in the comp
  • butters and rozee last year most rated BOTH in the top 5 mids in the comp
  • Boak a top 10 Brownlow finisher multiple times
  • multiple all Australians across every line during his tenure

You're in ****ing dreamland. Bar dynasty teams like the cats, most flag sides don't have elite talent all over the ground. They have a few plodders that PLAY THEIR ROLE. the hawks had some.

I love getting lectured by people who see maybe 3-4 port games a year. Clearly they have a better understanding than people who have watched more than a decade of Hinkley pus. More than 250 games of it.

I'd like to know what other coach in recent years coached a decade without a Grand Final appearance and a losing record (3-4) in home finals. Shocks me that he lasted this long.

I do feel for him being booed and all. That wasn't very nice. But, I also feel for the Port Adelaide supporters who watched him do nothing with their list.

I'd like to know what other coach in recent years coached a decade without a Grand Final appearance and a losing record (3-4) in home finals. Shocks me that he lasted this long.

I do feel for him being booed and all. That wasn't very nice. But, I also feel for the Port Adelaide supporters who watched him do nothing with their list.

He's probably turned the list over three or so times.. and still done nothing.

Booing happens when the club calls the supporters white noise, they have let this fester for way too long and now all and sundry are on the sack Hinkley wagon.

The train has left the station, it's just a matter of how long they drag it out.

Blind freddy could see this coming, and it's only going to get worse from here on in.

Hinkley should walk, but won't.

Port posters, they do be hating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, even if I accept everything you’re saying, my point still stands.

There’s no reason to boo your own players or coaches and as far as I’m concerned it’s an absolutely abhorrent thing to do. “Never tear us apart” gimme a break…
Yes, yes, we get your point that it is never okay to boo your own coach or players. That aside, you must agree that Ken Hinkley is a terrible coach (and possibly human depending on your view of the dishlickers) who should be sacked tomorrow. If ever a coach deserves to be booed, it's him.
Personally, I don't have an issue with the booing. Ken is right about one thing, it is all just a game and somebody has to lose. Sport is a spectacle, and booing adds to the whole theatre of it all. It's like all the booing in those English pantomimes.
The boos are just sending a message - "You're bloody hopeless and we wish you were gone."

He has the equal most All Australians currently on a list. 60% winning record, with 2 finals wins in 10 years! Give that another five seconds of critical thought. Just bow out, my guy, you don’t get it.

Last edited:

There isn’t one. He is the record keeper. And all the while we’re told we should be kissing his feet. And it continues on this thread.

As has been pointed out by others here, much of the issue is also to do with Koch, who along with other key members of the admin have eroded the club’s proud and successful winning culture into wimpy social club.

No one expects that we should be winning flags every year, but we do expect unapologetic pursuit of winning. I could get into the litany of interview quotes and actions/inaction that has led to this point, but basically, you just had to be a Port supporter for the last 10 years.

Yes, yes, we get your point that it is never okay to boo your own coach or players. That aside, you must agree that Ken Hinkley is a terrible coach (and possibly human depending on your view of the dishlickers) who should be sacked tomorrow. If ever a coach deserves to be booed, it's him.
Personally, I don't have an issue with the booing. Ken is right about one thing, it is all just a game and somebody has to lose. Sport is a spectacle, and booing adds to the whole theatre of it all. It's like all the booing in those English pantomimes.
The boos are just sending a message - "You're bloody hopeless and we wish you were gone."
Terrible coach yeah yeah. One of the highest win percentages of any coach in the comp, and that’s over a 12 year period (even more impressive), currently has a team with some top end talent and a bunch of average players in 7th.

I’ll concede he’s not the right coach for Port moving forward, I’ll even concede his finals record is average, and maybe he’s not got it in him to win a flag. But this “terrible coach, terrible human, deserves to be booed” rhetoric is deranged by every possible metric.

Taking another Port posters advice and bowing out now but some of you “supporters” need to have a think about what that really means.

Terrible coach yeah yeah. One of the highest win percentages of any coach in the comp, and that’s over a 12 year period (even more impressive), currently has a team with some top end talent and a bunch of average players in 7th.

I’ll concede he’s not the right coach for Port moving forward, I’ll even concede his finals record is average, and maybe he’s not got it in him to win a flag. But this “terrible coach, terrible human, deserves to be booed” rhetoric is deranged by every possible metric.

Taking another Port posters advice and bowing out now but some of you “supporters” need to have a think about what that really means.
Lol, "deranged", give me a spell. You go for friggen Hawthorn. You think Sam Mitchell will still be coaching the Hawks in 2034, if their last GF is still 2015? Even if he's got a great H&A record, and regularly finishes in the top 8?

Nobody knows what it's like to have one coach for 12 years and never make a GF except Port supporters, and that's because it's never happened before. Closest is North and Brad Scott, and from that experience I can tell you it's pretty ****ing grim.

Lol, "deranged", give me a spell. You go for friggen Hawthorn. You think Sam Mitchell will still be coaching the Hawks in 2034, if their last GF is still 2015? Even if he's got a great H&A record, and regularly finishes in the top 8?

Nobody knows what it's like to have one coach for 12 years and never make a GF except Port supporters, and that's because it's never happened before. Closest is North and Brad Scott, and from that experience I can tell you it's pretty ****ing grim.

I dare say what’s followed Scott at north is even grimmer.

Not saying that is ports future without Hinkley mind you.

What is a pass mark for port this year for fans to be happy with Hinkley? If it’s GF or bust, I think that’s a bit unrealistic.

FWIW I think it’s time for someone else to have a go at Port.

What is a pass mark for port this year for fans to be happy with Hinkley? If it’s GF or bust, I think that’s a bit unrealistic.

It’s sort of a moot question. He had already demonstrated that he doesn’t have the passion or the gameplan to drive the team toward a Grand Final. We already knew this at the start of the season. It’s a lost, wasted year. That’s why we’re agitated.

It’s sort of a moot question. He had already demonstrated that he doesn’t have the passion or the gameplan to drive the team toward a Grand Final. We already knew this at the start of the season. It’s a lost, wasted year. That’s why we’re agitated.
Agree with everything you've said here, he simply has to be moved on at seasons end.

Is there a timeline for members getting control of the club? I do like bagging Port posters for being haters, but not having any ability to influence the direction of the club seems on the nose to me.

There is no interest from the club board and executives to hand the club back to the members. It is 80% coroporatised with a token 20% to the members to elect 2 representatives.

I asked this question to the CEO during a club dinner. His response that the club did not want a board full of member elected ex-footballers running the show.
A complete disrespect to the members that once controlled this club with great success prior to our entry into the AFL.

There is no interest from the club board and executives to hand the club back to the members. It is 80% coroporatised with a token 20% to the members to elect 2 representatives.

I asked this question to the CEO during a club dinner. His response that the club did not want a board full of member elected ex-footballers running the show.
A complete disrespect to the members that once controlled this club with great success prior to our entry into the AFL.

Completely see your point here, leaving aside the hating on Ken, that is a rubbish attitude from the club.

They don't want a board full of member elected directors like.....pretty much all the clubs that have won flags in the last however long?

Seems like a cozy concentration of power and the gravy train to me - but I am commenting from the outside.

Completely see your point here, leaving aside the hating on Ken, that is a rubbish attitude from the club.

They don't want a board full of member elected directors like.....pretty much all the clubs that have won flags in the last however long?

Seems like a cozy concentration of power and the gravy train to me - but I am commenting from the outside.

Our board has done a great job financially where we are expected to be debt free next year with $100 Million in capital to secure the club going forward.

But their focus has been on stability rather than success on the field. Our membership has grown based on this stability, but it's pissing off the current members that the ruthless will to win is not driving the club.

This reflects in the clubs culture from administration, coaching and playing group. There is nothing worse for a Port fan to feel that our club is mediocre at best.

Our board has done a great job financially where we are expected to be debt free next year with $100 Million in capital to secure the club going forward.

But their focus has been on stability rather than success on the field. Our membership has grown based on this stability, but it's pissing off the current members that the ruthless will to win is not driving the club.

This reflects in the clubs culture from administration, coaching and playing group. There is nothing worse for a Port fan to feel that our club is mediocre at best.

While that is good for the long term, not sure that much money is worth the loss of control. 1) you can't spend it on much and 2) the more it sits there the more the board think they are a dragon sitting on the treasure (see West Coast for an example of a club with huge assets that it does absolutely nothing with)*

*However from what I understand of SA football, the knives would be out for Port the second they had a financial stumble so I do see why.

I don't see why a member run club can't achieve financial success either, plenty do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back