Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Protection Racket from certain sections of the media is just wild, yet completely transparent.

The 3 biggest cheerleaders and apologists:
Kane Cornes - Hinkley gifted him 300 games, brother's employment relies on Hinkley remaining
Caro - Koch promised her complete access since 2013, direct line to Ken, gets fed info from the club
Whately - The Big nosed Geek busted his first nut underneath the doona looking up at his Handbagger era Ken Poster. Is just a fanboi who also has Ken on his silly little show.

It is wild these people think it is such an afront to sack a bloke who hasn't made a Grand Final in 12 years.
Adelaide has had 5 coaches since Hinkley started, Essendon 6, Carlton 5, Gold Coast 4, yet somehow this perrenial loser is unsackable and the Port supporters are just ungrateful, unruly recalitrants. As I said, it's ****ing wild!

You're all absolutely wasting your time engaging with random260, he's not going to engage with the arguments you're making at all. Contributes nothing to these threads other than liking any pro-Hinkley comments, disliking any anti-Hinkley comments, spitting out the most biased pro-Hinkley shit imaginable as if the PAFC exists solely as a vehicle to give Hinkley guaranteed employment for life, and ignoring any and all counterarguments. Weird unit. Just put him on ignore like I have.

I'm assuming he's a Crows fan.

Why do you think Craig Macrae is "better resourced" than Chris Scott? In what way? Do you think Geelong don't use up their soft cap to the max like Collingwood do or something?
I think we have an extrordinary coaching line up, pretty much a dream team. I think no club has better facilities, health management, and massive off field clout up there with West Coast in keeping our boys out of trouble.

I think Geelong is a middling club and Scott by keeping them in finals for, what, 12 out of 14 years? is their best ever coach.

I suspect McRae will prove to be an even better coach, but that's wishful thinking right now, Scott has runs on the board.

If anything Brad Scott has worked even greater magic turning a horrible North into a semi-frequent finals side, and now resurrecting a self-destructed Essendon.

The argument of “it’s not the coach, it’s the list” only works with coaches who are relatively new to the job.

You’re telling me a coach in his twelfth year hasn’t had any say in how the list is shaped?
100%.

You know why we had to burn a top 10 pick on the likes of Esava Ratugolea and Ivan Soldo out of desperation last year? Because Hinkley stuffed the careers of three very promising young talls in Dougal Howard, Peter Ladhams and Sam Hayes. All looked like they were going to develop into guns in their first few years. All got stuffed around during their most important development years with being played out of position and dropped for mature aged spuds. None were ever able to recover. The holes on the list are largely of the coaching staff's own making.

We literally haven't developed a single tall into a gun AFL player over Hinkley's entire tenure. Georgiades looks like he might be on the way there, but it's too early to call and even he was faltering big time last year. Todd Marshall looked good in 2022 but has fallen away massively since. Our major talls over the Hinkley years have been Ryder, Lycett, Soldo, Aliir, McKenzie, Ratugolea, Zerk-Thatcher, Dixon, Finlayson, Schulz. All trade-ins. And the trade capital we've had to give up to trade them in as established players rather than just drafting and developing them weakens the rest of the list by extension.

Maybe the list isn't good enough right now to win the 2024 flag, but the coach who's been here since 2013 absolutely takes his share of the blame for that.

Last edited:
The argument of “it’s not the coach, it’s the list” only works with coaches who are relatively new to the job.

You’re telling me a coach in his twelfth year hasn’t had any say in how the list is shaped?

Not saying he hasn't.

But I'm yet to see that discussion from Port fans.

In fact most of the commentary from them seems to be around a firm belief they will bounce straight into the top 4 with a new coach.

Which alludes to the fact they are ignoring some of the key issues.

Not saying he hasn't.

In fact most of the commentary from them seems to be around a firm belief they will bounce straight into the top 4 with a new coach.

Which alludes to the fact they are ignoring some of the key issues.
Because we know how good this list really is, you can’t honestly sit there, look at Port's and Hawk's list at the start of the year, and say the Hawks have the better list. Yet we see Sam Mitchell gets his squad to play well above their talent level, while Port continue to be this extremely inconsistent, weak team.

When we win 60+% in the minor round its the coach.

When we lose against the top teams and finals it's the list.

It makes no sense. If we have the list to win the minor round games then we have the list.

Ken agreed at the start of the year “we have a really strong list… we’re optimistic we have improved enough that it will put us at the top of the ladder”

So if it's not the list....?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It makes no sense. If we have the list to win the minor round games then we have the list.

Ken agreed at the start of the year “we have a really strong list… we’re optimistic we have improved enough that it will put us at the top of the ladder”

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

When you have a coach that says that he doesn’t actually know anything about the opposition players like Ken did against GWS, then that says everything anyone needs to know about him as a coach.

He does nothing, knows nothing and implements nothing.

He’s time is over and he should have left years ago. If he did there wouldn’t be this angst towards him.

Not saying he hasn't.

I don’t know that that’s true. Most Port fans I speak to are frustrated that they’ve been in this constant place of good enough to beat the sides below them, but not able to be a real threat, for most of Ken’s tenure.

I think they would welcome a short term drop off if they felt the club was building. It’s just obvious that they’re current direction is destined to be good but not good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Life before Ken was extremely rough. He's done a fantastic job.

In many ways he's a victim of his own success. The fans want and expect more while being blinded to the fact he's been getting them to the top 4 for a while now. His sustained success as a coach hasn't allowed them to pick up too many early first rounders to prop up the list with as well.
Port have been top 4 in three of the last four seasons and currently sit in the top 8, yet their fans want the coach sacked.
It's a similar situation to the Raiders with Ricky Stuart, but at least Stuart coached them to a grand final half a decade ago.

Ken is a great coach because Port don't bottom out, but this means they don't get high draft picks which is why they struggle when the cream rises to the top in high pressure games.
I know my club doesn't bottom out either, but we've been getting crafty at trading into the top end of the draft (eg trading for pick 7 after winning the flag) and we have an ability to attract superstars from opposition clubs.

I thought Port were a chance of contending for the premiership this year, especially after watching them rinse Essendon in Gather Round.
However, it feels like they're drifting towards no man's land at the moment.

Ken has been good for Port especially after the dire years of 2011 and 2012.
Everyone has an expiry date though and right now it feels like Ken has reached his.

we don't want him

plus I guarantee when he finally goes (assuming he's not already dead by then because there a possibility that death by old age is the only thing that will get rid of him) that he spends more time back at the Geelong footy club than he does coming back to Port. He will cash his last cheque and never look back
So.... There is a chance Ken Hinkley will coach from his death bed?

Port have been top 4 in three of the last four seasons and currently sit in the top 8, yet their fans want the coach sacked.
It's a similar situation to the Raiders with Ricky Stuart, but at least Stuart coached them to a grand final half a decade ago.

Ken is a great coach because Port don't bottom out, but this means they don't get high draft picks which is why they struggle when the cream rises to the top in high pressure games.
I know my club doesn't bottom out either, but we've been getting crafty at trading into the top end of the draft (eg trading for pick 7 after winning the flag) and we have an ability to attract superstars from opposition clubs.

I thought Port were a chance of contending for the premiership this year, especially after watching them rinse Essendon in Gather Round.

Everyone has an expiry date though and right now it feels like Ken has reached his.

We don't get high draft picks?
Butters, Rozee, Wines, JHF all very much at the pointy end. Those picks were absolutely nailed by the recruiting staff too.

The Hinkley cult in the media is so weird.
AFL jobs for mates Rackett,its been going on for decades,and the medja is the mouthpiece,you do what the AFL say youve a job for life no matter how much of a fraud you are.Hinkleys a fraud in the highest,if he was @ tigerland with that talented list n unable to make a GF id want him out as well,PA finals record under Ken is unacceptable,who GAF bout H&A records ?

who finished fourth in 1986 ? third in 2000 ? fourth in 1977 ? 6th in 2008 ? thats right who GAF

Ken is a great coach because Port don't bottom out,
Average coach you mean, since he never bottoms out but never succeeds either.
but this means they don't get high draft picks which is why they struggle when the cream rises to the top in high pressure games.
Yeah, I've debunked this a number of times, Sydney and Geelong never bottomed out and won premierships, not sure why you keep using that excuse when there's plenty of examples that disprove that theory.
Port's got many All-Australian players, it's obvious their management are the ones failing them. Collingwood in 2021 finished 17th, then they switched management and won a premiership only 2 years later with the same list.
Why? Port have poor management, this was 2018 all over again for Port where they get left over players, get wins early on, then miss finals just at the end of the home and away season.
That's a decade ago, then he fell off, he never won 2 finals games in the same finals series after 2014, I don't know how that should give any coach the ultimate grace period, especially since Port had won a premiership and been to 2 grand finals only the previous decade.
No, a great coach is a premiership coach, not best ranked 3rd place at the end of finals in 11 seasons and counting. They had 2 home preliminary finals and lost them, there's nothing Hinkley can do more, he's not capable of winning an AFL premiership as coach when he had the best opportunity twice to do it.

grant1.JPG

Tredreas spin about the radio stuff was shocking, whilst he wasn’t wrong on his Ken call last year, there’s no way I’d want this guy on my football club board. He’s not a team player
Tredrea was one of the few board members elected by the club members.

If anything, he’s the board member with the most credibility in the eyes of Port members.

Tredreas spin about the radio stuff was shocking, whilst he wasn’t wrong on his Ken call last year, there’s no way I’d want this guy on my football club board. He’s not a team player
Then you don’t get Port Adelaide and you don’t get their members and you don’t get Tredrea’s demand for excellence at the club and you don’t get why the members voted him into the board.
You also don’t get that 6 of the 8 board positions aren’t voted in by members, but by the AFL/SANFL. We don’t get to petition to spill the board positions.

Collingwood had their turn with Jeff Browne only a couple of years ago, after a flag gave 11 years of good but not great seasons that included 2 grand finals. “There is a growing wave of support from members for change and this change must begin with a refresh at board level,” were his comments. Is that a team player in your eyes?
And how did that turn out for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back