Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a timeline for members getting control of the club? I do like bagging Port posters for being haters, but not having any ability to influence the direction of the club seems on the nose to me.
Not for Port, Crows are due in 2028.

When the fans are told they don’t matter, dismissed as white noise, frustrated at the lack of scrutiny on hinkleys failure to make a GF, and see hinkley as a pricktorian more interested in greyhounds than coaching better, who has admitted he doesn’t know opposition players (last week) or how they lose games (2022 after losing to hawks on Russell Ebert tribute match), I don’t judge the fans at all

Wasn’t it Ricciuto that told the crows fans to find another club to support if they don’t like the way things are.
What’s going on between the south Australian teams and their supporters?

I think Hinkleys time is up but hanging out big FA contracts and ignoring the draft has already the Power back a while. JHF is going to be fantastic I get that but who else is coming through that is young? Maybe georgiades who looks good. I just think the bookends are very average and Aliir looks cooked. Is he injured?
Butters, Rozee and JHF looked like an all time great mid field early last year. The whole place has stagnated

I think Hinkleys time is up but hanging out big FA contracts and ignoring the draft has already the Power back a while. JHF is going to be fantastic I get that but who else is coming through that is young? Maybe georgiades who looks good. I just think the bookends are very average and Aliir looks cooked. Is he injured?
Heard this argument before. Firstly, it’s Ken’s list. 11 years and counting.

Define young maybe. 25 and under? Last week we had 16 of our team in that range, 8 under 22.

Wasn’t it Ricciuto that told the crows fans to find another club to support if they don’t like the way things are.
Both boards aren’t accountable to supporters.
This is what you get, 2 media types that won’t listen to supporters because their positions aren’t dependent on them.

So we can expect Koch to honour Ken’s contract through 2025 and maybe beyond if he feels like it ?
Happened twice before. But expecting that Koch will move on now that there’s negativity around Hinkley, and also now he’s taken up a role as chair of Tourism SA.

Happened twice before. But expecting that Koch will move on now that there’s negativity around Hinkley, and also now he’s taken up a role as chair of Tourism SA.

It’s a pretty cruzy gig to walk away from for a bloke with an ego especially if there’s no accountability for him to answer too.
In any case, if it’s anything like AFL headquarters, won’t they just appoint the next internal drone to take his/her turn at the trough if there’s no members vote …

SANFL/ AFL appointed board members and lack of member voice woudl contribute
Roo runs AFC like his own mates club

And yes I am aware that some of the AFC board (actual board, not bigfooty board) would find that characterisation "offensive" well I don't give two shits about whether I offend their feelings

feelings dont really matter. The world is not designed to give a shit about your feelings. Feelings are things you internalise and process and use for self motivation.
Facts and output matter

100% did and lost any credibility he had in the process. The whole club treats us like an inconvenience. There will be a huge push by members to reclaim the club in 2028. No club should be run by the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha 😄 🤣 😂

Father Whateley also bleated that he just couldn’t see what Carlton (2nd) were building and that the Richmond (17th) job was the hottest job to land in the AFL when Hardwick jumped ship and bolted to the Gold Coast.
The preacher rates himself as all knowing but in reality is more suited to scoring the book for his local C grade cricket club …

Father Whateley also bleated that he just couldn’t see what Carlton (2nd) were building and that the Richmond (17th) job was the hottest job to land in the AFL when Hardwick jumped ship and bolted to the Gold Coast.
The preacher rates himself as all knowing but in reality is more suited to scoring the book for his local C grade cricket club …
Wankley tried to move all our greats out of the club.

Then protects his Cats.

Robbo would be more fun

I think part of it is the way the media is structured.

In SA, many of the key media people are still connected to the club. Not only that, many of us suspect that the media is threatened with losing its access to players if they go too hard. Rowe on 5aa will often go very hard at coaches/list management etc immediately after a game and then midweek he’s changed his tune. I suspect he and others are told “ease up, or player x isn’t coming on this week”, or similar.

The rest of the media is primarily Vic based. They don’t have an audience of passionate Crows and Port fans, so unless either club is current North level bad it doesn’t really get attention. Hence the narrative around Ken that is often there of “they play finals every other year and are always competitive, why are the supporters complaining”?

As members, we also don’t have any influence on the board, nor do Port members.

All of this has led to a complete lack of accountability. The administration of both clubs are not really concerned with us as members and supporters, as long as enough of us show up. I suspect a lot of people from both club’s administration are satisfied as long as they’re financially sound. It’s why the port board have largely been okay with Ken, sure, he’s never gonna win a flag, but he wins enough for be to be financially stable.

Look at Brodie Smith’s comments after being dropped, he’s talking about the reaction being hateful. Now I’m sure there were plenty of dickheads in his DMs, but he’s been around long enough to know that’s not reflective of the wider public. The reaction online was largely, “been a great player but time to go” or “stayed too long”. If he thinks that’s hateful then you have to wonder if there’s that much honest self-reflection and analysis going on internally.

So because they don’t listen to us, that frustration festers and turns into actual anger. That’s when you get the Port crowd actively booing their own coach, which I agree, isn’t great. But what else are members supposed to do when they have no way of making their voices heard?

He has probably made close to $10 million in gross earnings through the caper. I think he can face some scrutiny - he certainly doesn’t get any from the media.

Every other club’s fans would have acted in the same way in the same circumstances, let’s not kid ourselves. Port fans are simply in uncharted territory.
No offence dude but trying to justify booing your own coach, particularly one who has devoted over a decade to your club is deranged. It’s not something most supporters would ever do.

I come from a big Port family. All my aunties uncles cousins, etc, so I understand the frustration of not going to that next level. Could another coach have done better? Perhaps, perhaps not. But regardless, he’s been a loyal servant of that club and he’s done well and probably over performed at times which has probably warped fans expectations.

As I said, I think it’s time for a new direction, and probably a reset of the list. Koch’s time is probably up too. But booing your own, urghh…

Kenny isn't the one strolling down the field and kicking the ball out on the full
Kenny can't lay the tackles nor kick the goals.

The players are the reason why Port are losing.

While that is true, when you've had someone coaching the club for 11 years you'd think he'd able to teach the players how to lay tackles or kick goals by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back