Have Collingwood broken a world record?

Remove this Banner Ad

Per capita Aussie Rules reigns supreme. You are comparing a game comprised largely of teams from the same state. It is a game which is not even the number one sport in large areas of the country and our population is 20 million. The EPL and NFL are truly national comp. with populations of 60 million and 300 million supporting them. The fact that we rate where we do is UNBELIEVABLE!

The NFL and EPL don't have 11 teams from the same district. That would dilute the crowds somewhat. For Collingwood to average 65 000 is breathtaking. Own it and move on.

Stop being a hero. I talked up the AFL attendances in my early posts. I'm just directly addressing claims that are not true. Maybe you should stick to the thread topic.

Per capita Aussie Rules reigns supreme. You are comparing a game comprised largely of teams from the same state. It is a game which is not even the number one sport in large areas of the country and our population is 20 million. The EPL and NFL are truly national comp. with populations of 60 million and 300 million supporting them. The fact that we rate where we do is UNBELIEVABLE!

The NFL and EPL don't have 11 teams from the same district. That would dilute the crowds somewhat. For Collingwood to average 65 000 is breathtaking. Own it and move on.

You could also argue the opposite.

More than half of Collingwood's matches are effectively crosstown derbies.

Is it just me, or is attendances just about the most boring subject in footy?

:thumbsu: :cool: yes yes yes for the love of f--kin god i agree. the only thing that worse is when certain posters talk about how we are somehow achieving some kind of global recognition for it because of average attendances. pass me the bucket...
melbourne turn up in droves for everything, its a well known fact, why the constant circle jerk about it every few weeks on here is beyond me.

:thumbsu: :cool: yes yes yes for the love of f--kin god i agree. the only thing that worse is when certain posters talk about how we are somehow achieving some kind of global recognition for it because of average attendances. pass me the bucket...
melbourne turn up in droves for everything, its a well known fact, why the constant circle jerk about it every few weeks on here is beyond me.

Melbourne doesn't have the harbour cities atractions monty

Ah, not that true

18,000 at a Rugby League Test a few weeks back
19,000 at a Cricket International - Australia v Sri Lanka.

I'd hardly call those very good crowds for internationals!

I have searched but cannot find a bigger 3 consecutive games total attendance with the same club involved than collingwood achieved this year.
They had just under 292,000 spectators watching them in the final 3 games this year,,,Geelong 98,774 ,
Saints (draw) 100,292' and
Saints replay 92,568

Can any one team top this that anyone knows about, for a local game it sure stands tall in world sporting eyes ,so challenge is out,can any side outdo the mighty pies faithful supporters in a 3 week total,anywhere ,any sport any time?

Does the figure of 100,292 count the 276 people that may have snuck in, cause of thought the official figure of the drawn grand final was 100,016.

Brazil is a team. The OP clearly says any TEAM, any sport, anywhere.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He mentions club in the first paragraph, team in the last paragraph, and talks about local team in the body of the post. Team within a professional competition seems a fair base for the thread.

Still, the record is not the Pies last 3 games of the season. There are probably many that we have not thought of aside from the Carlton example even.

Would be good if IPL had proper attendance records.

Ah, not that true

18,000 at a Rugby League Test a few weeks back
19,000 at a Cricket International - Australia v Sri Lanka.

I'd hardly call those very good crowds for internationals!

international league is shit these days.
not sure what to make of the paltry limited overs crowds at the moment.
im using my cricket late passes for the ashes games, couldnt care less about Sri Lanka in all fairness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tour de France gets between 12 and 15 Million people each year on the roadside.

That's about 700,000 people every day over 21 days.

LOL, it's quite impressive, I wouldn't go as far as 'breathtaking'

Melbourne Tigers clearly break any records for consecutive big crowds:

Rounds 1-8 of 2010 NBL Season Average home crowd attendance:

No but seriously, Collingwood get great crowds. Most teams do really, considering there's 9 teams based in 1 city of just over 4 million.

I think whoever mentioned about Collingwood being behind Man Utd last year in attendance, are referring to Eddie's comments in his post GF speech at the club, and i *BELIEVE* he was talking about the total attendance to watch a club play for the year.

Yes the NFL teams averaged more, but they play a less games (around 17 i think), so that would bring down their overall attendance below Collingwoods.

And someone mentioned about Man Utd having a better attendance despite playing in a smaller stadium. Same thing - they play 38 games in a season, a hell of a lot more.

Basically the statement meant, the only club that has been watched more than Collingwood this year is Manchester United. You can put lots of different spins on attendances, but it is still an impressive feat.

I think whoever mentioned about Collingwood being behind Man Utd last year in attendance, are referring to Eddie's comments in his post GF speech at the club, and i *BELIEVE* he was talking about the total attendance to watch a club play for the year.

Yes the NFL teams averaged more, but they play a less games (around 17 i think), so that would bring down their overall attendance below Collingwoods.

And someone mentioned about Man Utd having a better attendance despite playing in a smaller stadium. Same thing - they play 38 games in a season, a hell of a lot more.

Basically the statement meant, the only club that has been watched more than Collingwood this year is Manchester United. You can put lots of different spins on attendances, but it is still an impressive feat.

Except every single MLB team was watched at least 1million times more than Collingwood last season. 162 games a season will do that.

Whichever way you spin it Eddie was lying or completely wrong.

Except every single MLB team was watched at least 1million times more than Collingwood last season. 162 games a season will do that.

Yes you are right there... they would have much greater attendance overall because of that. And probably some nba & nhl teams would have higher attendance by the same token.

I dont remember the exact quote that Eddie said. Maybe it was "Football clubs", i'm not sure. I'm sure whatever he said would have been accurate, and more likely that I don't remember it correctly

He said football clubs.

I'd still suggest that Barcelona and Real Madrid would also be ahead of Collingwood.

He said football clubs.

I'd still suggest that Barcelona and Real Madrid would also be ahead of Collingwood.

The following clubs average higher than Collingwood:

Barcelona
Bayern Muenchen
Borussia Dortmund
Manchester United
Real Madrid

Several others probably would too, if they played in larger stadiums. Arsenal and Schalke 04 come close; they average sell-outs in 60k and 61k capacity stadia respectively.

Exactly. If 40k Collingwood supporters rock up, they're supplemented by 20k North supporters or 35k Richmond supporters or whatever.

But if the city of Melbourne only had one football team, supporter bases would not be distributed among 9 teams. Given that we get ALL of those 9 teams supporters who turn up to games every week - if we only had 1 team it would be natural to assume that a similar level of attendance could be carried over. If people are passionate enough to turn up for NM v Port, surely if there was just one side, those respective supporters would be passionate enough to turn up to Melbourne v Adelaide (cities).

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Collingwood broken a world record?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back