Have Freo made a horrible mistake in their plans to relocate their HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think their constructing Cockburn as a tourist destination, it's growing quicker than any suburb I visit on a regular basis and you could argue as far as position goes its in the perfect spot to access everything you need airport, city, Freo, industry,beaches ect
Like I said, it's all about the quality of facilities for Freo, and they are going to get the best at Cockburn with access to enough outlets if needed.

i brought it up as one of the main gripes from the st kilda move to seaford was that there was literally nothing near the facilities. for fans that wanted to visit the club during their trip to melbourne, there was nothing for them to do. during open training sessions theres nothing to do before or after. we also havent been fully intergrated into the area.

freo could have this if they redeveloped freo oval and turned that whole area into freo heartland. it would have been a great boost to their brand and image. something that is difficult for franchise clubs

As long as the club keeps a decent presence at Freo, then i think it is a good move.

I can't imagine 20k of Freo fans turning up at Cockburn when they win a premiership, the fans will want to celebrate at Freo, or alternatively watch the game in Freo .....witness last years grannie and the huge crowd in Freo itself.

Pity about South Freo not being redeveloped, it is a absolute ripper of a spot.

It takes 20 minutes alone to get past canning bridge

I do the trip everyday. I know how long it takes. Somedays your lucky to do 10kmph in spots

Thankfully the players wouldn't have to worry about the traffic to Perth as they would be travelling the other way.

I would say most players live in the Fremantle area, so I don't think travelling to Cockburn is going to be any great hassle for them.

I am not sure how Seaford is set up but the Cockburn site will be a shared site so I think that they will integrate themselves into the local community well.

For anybody interested, here is the 'architectural view'

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2012-12-21/architectural-perspectives-on-freos-new-etaf

Thankfully the players wouldn't have to worry about the traffic to Perth as they would be travelling the other way.

I would say most players live in the Fremantle area, so I don't think travelling to Cockburn is going to be any great hassle for them.

I am not sure how Seaford is set up but the Cockburn site will be a shared site so I think that they will integrate themselves into the local community well.

For anybody interested, here is the 'architectural view'

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2012-12-21/architectural-perspectives-on-freos-new-etaf

two ovals? what dimensions?

It's an endearing part of the club and town that you see the boys walking around, having lunch, just existing. It makes the town feel like it owns the club, a real connection – imagine if Roughy sat down Glenferrie road, or the Collingwood boys down Smith street. It's a really nice connection to have. And Fremantle Oval is a really nice oval.

However, Fremantle Council are idiots. They're really conservative and put ludicrous, pointless restrictions on the Freo upgrade. They limited space and put in architectural chastising that made FFC have no option but to move. So it's about getting good facilities, you have to remember how shit our current ones are – probably the worst in the comp, and unfortunately that can't go hand in hand with staying in Fremantle.

I'm for the move because it'll be better for the club. But it'll be a bit barren and empty feeling around Freo when the Dockers aren't there.

And believe me, one day, the Freo council will seriously rue losing the Dockers. They give the place a buzz. And with the empty shopfronts, the failed rebirths they've attempted... they need the Dockers.

two ovals? what dimensions?

One is going to be the size of the new Perth stadium, the other will be MCG size, if I recall correctly.

Edit: From the FAQ's - http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2012-12-21/etaf-frequently-asked-questions

6. What does the Cockburn Central West development include?

In addition to the club’s new world-class elite training and administration facility (with the components of this facility set out in question one), the redeveloped precinct will incorporate contemporary facilities which will allow:

• Significant use of the developing Cockburn Central West precinct by clubs, community and the commercial sector.
• Greater accessibility for players, supporters and the community.
• Increased and early precinct activation and vibrancy in a growing residential and business precinct.
• Possible creation of an education precinct with a focus on health.
The scope of works proposed in the international standard facility include the following elements:
• Regional multipurpose indoor sporting centre, inclusive of six highball courts and an integrated show court.
• Regional aquatic centre including:
50 metre 10 lane multi-purpose outdoor competition and water polo swimming pool;
25 metre indoor program and learn to swim pool;
Children’s aquatic play area and splash pad;
Hydrotherapy pool; and
Aquatic recovery pools.
• Health and wellness facilities including:
Wellness and fitness studio including gymnasium, program rooms and rehabilitation facilities; and
Sports medicine facilities.
• Meeting and conference rooms.
• Community running and walking tracks.
AFL quality standard oval capable of accommodating Patersons Stadium, new Perth Stadium, MCG and Etihad size surfaces.
• Community café.
• Sport store inclusive of a Fremantle Dockers’ retail shop.
• Community oval/pitch(s) and pavilion.
• Dedicated Fremantle Dockers’ football facilities include football administration, medical, conditioning, recovery and education.
• Administration offices for the club and other community sporting organisations.
• Dedicated multimedia facility for both the club and the local community.
• Local community meeting and flexible space.
• Elite training facilities for other elite athletes.
• Playground facility.
• Community function centre (subject to a further business case assessment).
• Curtin University education and research facilities

Not sure about that, except perhaps the on-field part. For all it's on-field success at certain times in each decade, Hawthorn has done poorly off-field and their fans reflect that. When they're successful, they get decent crowds but their down periods are awful. A solid fan base tied to a true location would have helped solidify a loyal fan base that turns up during struggling years.

Fremantle made a bad decision.

Fremantle the city is slowly dying anyway. Fremantle the club has a supporter base right across the greater metro area, particularly in the south. The move to Cockburn is still within the heart of their supporter base. It's not like Melbourne where there are nine clubs competing for territory in the same metro area. We have only two, and West Coast aren't really tied to a specific geographic location either. So your point doesn't really apply to Perth.

Fremantle the city is slowly dying anyway. Fremantle the club has a supporter base right across the greater metro area, particularly in the south. The move to Cockburn is still within the heart of their supporter base. It's not like Melbourne where there are nine clubs competing for territory in the same metro area. We have only two, and West Coast aren't really tied to a specific geographic location either. So your point doesn't really apply to Perth.
Fremantle the city is not slowly dying.How can you say that. They are working very hard to make changes to bring more and more people there.When the markets are open the city is a buzz.
The new facility at Cockburn will be a state of the art training facility,not next to Kwinana as some person mentioned but in the heart of Dockerland.

More generous in terms of initial setup and funding or long term?

I know the saints have a 30 year lease or something given to them by frankston

And I am right about the commute time. I do it everyday. Getting past the beeliar to farrington stretch is slow as buggery. Then again from the bridge to cannington bridge

So, you're travelling to Perth?
During that time of the morning, what if you go the other way..against the traffic?

Cool. I don't know enough about WA footy to be really confidxent on this, but one of my best mates if a die hard Freo fan and while not entirely happy about it, he's of the view that there's no point holding the club back onfield just for a sense of "history".

It is interesting. I've always liked Freo because they seemed a more "real" club than the Eagles, even though there's actual bugger all to support that notion. Staying in Freo would have probably tapped into that. But at what cost?

My own club is very much playing up the "community club" that "stays local" line but that's because, well, we've got no real choice. It is the only gap in the market we can try and make work.

I don't see that moving to Cockburn is going to tear Freo from its roots. And it is interesting about the population growth element. In many regards, when Hawthorn moved to Waverley, they were actually moving closer to their support base. St Kilda's move was the right idea bit probably 20 years too early.

And anyway, it was Freo's choice. It isn't like they wanted to stay but got rolled by a bunch of doddering old geriatrics from a bowls club or anything.

The area from South of Freo down towards Mandurah and beyond has largely been South Fremantle feeder territory for ever...Most name with an "ich" at the end come through that area.
The link to Fremantle footy is strong...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should all be OK with the pending structural reform of Local Government in Western Australia. Boundaries will not be finalised until 1 July 2014 and there is a chance that the City of Fremantle will be taking over part of Cockburn anyway which would leave Freo in Freo. Otherwise, Kwinana will take it.

It takes 20 minutes alone to get past canning bridge

I do the trip everyday. I know how long it takes. Somedays your lucky to do 10kmph in spots

You need to invest in a car and stop riding ur bike . I go from melville to joondalup everyday takes me 35 to 45 mins and it's probably 3 times as far. You make it sound so dramatic Cockburn is pretty much 10 to 15 mins down the road from freo.

One is going to be the size of the new Perth stadium, the other will be MCG size, if I recall correctly.

Edit: From the FAQ's - http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2012-12-21/etaf-frequently-asked-questions

6. What does the Cockburn Central West development include?

In addition to the club’s new world-class elite training and administration facility (with the components of this facility set out in question one), the redeveloped precinct will incorporate contemporary facilities which will allow:

• Significant use of the developing Cockburn Central West precinct by clubs, community and the commercial sector.
• Greater accessibility for players, supporters and the community.
• Increased and early precinct activation and vibrancy in a growing residential and business precinct.
• Possible creation of an education precinct with a focus on health.
The scope of works proposed in the international standard facility include the following elements:
• Regional multipurpose indoor sporting centre, inclusive of six highball courts and an integrated show court.
• Regional aquatic centre including:
50 metre 10 lane multi-purpose outdoor competition and water polo swimming pool;
25 metre indoor program and learn to swim pool;
Children’s aquatic play area and splash pad;
Hydrotherapy pool; and
Aquatic recovery pools.
• Health and wellness facilities including:
Wellness and fitness studio including gymnasium, program rooms and rehabilitation facilities; and
Sports medicine facilities.
• Meeting and conference rooms.
• Community running and walking tracks.
AFL quality standard oval capable of accommodating Patersons Stadium, new Perth Stadium, MCG and Etihad size surfaces.
• Community café.
• Sport store inclusive of a Fremantle Dockers’ retail shop.
• Community oval/pitch(s) and pavilion.
• Dedicated Fremantle Dockers’ football facilities include football administration, medical, conditioning, recovery and education.
• Administration offices for the club and other community sporting organisations.
• Dedicated multimedia facility for both the club and the local community.
• Local community meeting and flexible space.
• Elite training facilities for other elite athletes.
• Playground facility.
• Community function centre (subject to a further business case assessment).
• Curtin University education and research facilities

great decision!!!

You need to invest in a car and stop riding ur bike . I go from melville to joondalup everyday takes me 35 to 45 mins and it's probably 3 times as far. You make it sound so dramatic Cockburn is pretty much 10 to 15 mins down the road from freo.

do you get on at canning? if so you would avoid the previous build up just after leach and beeliar to farrington

I hate that section of freeway whenever I have to make the trip south. Any plans of fixing it? They did widen it a little but not enough. So stupid - 3 lanes merge into 2 just before Roe hwy feeds in - basically 4 lanes merging into 2 in the space of 1km.

its so unbelievably frustrating and stupid. the extension that occurred on freeway north between farrington and leach makes it a bit more relaxing in that spot but it means nothing from leach onwards due to the 2/3 lane underneath canning and the patch you identified

going south same thing happens build up before and just after beeliar/berrigan

It's an endearing part of the club and town that you see the boys walking around, having lunch, just existing. It makes the town feel like it owns the club, a real connection – imagine if Roughy sat down Glenferrie road, or the Collingwood boys down Smith street. It's a really nice connection to have. And Fremantle Oval is a really nice oval.

However, Fremantle Council are idiots. They're really conservative and put ludicrous, pointless restrictions on the Freo upgrade. They limited space and put in architectural chastising that made FFC have no option but to move. So it's about getting good facilities, you have to remember how shit our current ones are – probably the worst in the comp, and unfortunately that can't go hand in hand with staying in Fremantle.

I'm for the move because it'll be better for the club. But it'll be a bit barren and empty feeling around Freo when the Dockers aren't there.

And believe me, one day, the Freo council will seriously rue losing the Dockers. They give the place a buzz. And with the empty shopfronts, the failed rebirths they've attempted... they need the Dockers.

this!!!! i get the facilities will be better but i feel disappointed freo couldnt stay in freo and make that area their image. imagine the brand and image once they truly connect to the history in freo. like you said it had the opportunity to boost the city of freo as well

open training sessions and then hitting up the cafe strip after. potentially a freo football museum that would attract tourists

such a massive opportunity gone :-(

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Freo made a horrible mistake in their plans to relocate their HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back