Have the Hawks turned the corner?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been as cynical as any prick re the prospects of our team this year, and I certainly dont feel we are a realistic chance for defending the flag, but that win today was very important for a number of reasons, and may well represent the path forward for success in the next couple of seasons.

Firstly, we won a final quarter. The hallmark of our success last year, completely gone this year, until today. We thundered home in crap conditions and had a fantastic win

Secondly, the budmeister has regained the taste for success. Written all over his face. His first 3 quarters were simply 'more of the same' for 2009, but he lifted a gear in Q4 for the first time this year, and looked like the killer that he has been for the last 2 years.

This is incorrect.

Buddy's first 3 quarters were very good - 4 contested marks to that stage in a monsoon.

Had he not kicked any in the last he would have still been in the top 3 or 4 players on the ground.

As it was he buried them, like only the great man can.

There is only one way we can make the finals and that is Buddy and Hodge going nuts.

Our bottom 6 players are battling big time and our defence is comical. The only strategy has to be all out attack with Hodge and Buddy in the middle of the ground and hope we win some shootouts.

How? We need to win 14 matches and even if we beat the Pies we have Geelong, Saints and the Crows to come. Aint gonna happen buddy.

13 wins can sneak you into 4th..

We can(will) beat the Pies, We know we are capable of beating Cats, the Saints is down in Tassie and Crows game is at mcg... throw in games against Tigers, Power & Bombers.

If the Hawks can get their mojo back, it will be at the right end of the season. The Hawks at their best are good enough to beat any team.

Let's re-visit this thread if, and ONLY IF we can beat the Pies, Cats, Port (at AAMI) and Saints in the coming weeks.

Only then will I be convinced that we have turned the corner. Then the rest of the year will sort itself out.

But at the moment, and based on recent form and consistancy, I'm not holding my breath.

Here come the Hawks!!! :thumbsu:

Correct. Returned to the sort of form that won us the flag last year. Whether we are positioned to actually have a crack again in September remains a moot point. Probably still going to be dragged back by our poor results for most the year, and launching in September from the bottom half of the 8 is virtually a lost cause

BUT

some fantastic signs last night. Clearly the big 23 has regained his confidence. Roughie still looks a little jaded, but if he fires late in the year we will clearly take some scalps.

Perhaps more importantly, we are finally getting goals from the midfield. The telling sign for me was hodgey firing in the middle. Great down back, NS medal etc, but we always look best when 15 is launching the ball forward and kicking at goal

Lets just take things one week at a time

You know, after the doggies game I was really dreading playing against Geelong and St Kilda. I thought that was it. It was a terrible effort from the guys.

Now I'm getting excited about playing Geelong this week and we might even have the edge in that we really need to win.

Last two matches have given me a glimmer of hope anyway. Hawks playing the Pies, were back to the form that won the 2008 premiership last year. If they maintain that for the rest of the year who knows what might happen.

Just glad to see my Hawks back playing good footy again! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our defence has been settled now for the last 2-3 weeks. Gilham is very important to this team and Tom Murphy has been better since he doesn't have to pick up the oppositions #1 target. Keep Campbell Brown in defence.

This has allowed Hodge to go back in the middle, along with Sewely, Lewis, Changa & Mitchell. Buddy has finally clicked into form up forward and Roughy is always giving 100%.

The next 3 weeks are huge: Cats, Power, Saints.

Mark this down (& re-visit later)... we will win 2 of the next 3 :thumbsu:

Our defence has been settled now for the last 2-3 weeks. Gilham is very important to this team and Tom Murphy has been better since he doesn't have to pick up the oppositions #1 target. Keep Campbell Brown in defence.

This has allowed Hodge to go back in the middle, along with Sewely, Lewis, Changa & Mitchell. Buddy has finally clicked into form up forward and Roughy is always giving 100%.

The next 3 weeks are huge: Cats, Power, Saints.

Mark this down (& re-visit later)... we will win 2 of the next 3 :thumbsu:

who will we lose to?, who will beat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the Hawks turned the corner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back