Hawk Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

worthy

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2004
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What's in store for our current rookies? Who will be kept? Who will go?

Matthew Suckling
Brett Collins
Sam Gibson
Luke McEntee

Don't know much about the first 3 but McEntee is a project Ruckman in his 2nd year on the rookie list, so I believe he has to be either elevated or cut.???

Suckling and Collins have both (I think) been unlucky with injuries.
Gibson???????

I would think we would draft another couple of rookies this year so a couple will have to be either elevated or cut.

What are peoples thoughts?

Also, is Lukas Markovic a chance to be re-rookied (can he be?) or drafted?

I think this years draft more a case of getting at least 1 more KPP backman and the rest just succession planning.

McEntee to be upgraded or traded. Hopefully upgraded. Has really come along in leaps and bounds this year.

Collins to remain a rookie...injury has ruined his year but what I saw I liked.

Gibson. As I didnt see him play at Box Hill - not sure. What I saw at training was a VERY long kick of the ball ala Clinton Young.

Suckling to be let go as a lesson to others.

Gibson. As I didnt see him play at Box Hill - not sure. What I saw at training was a VERY long kick of the ball ala Clinton Young.

I was keeping a bit of an eye on this kid early in the season and he seemed to be going OK, was in the best players 5 times out of 11 and was our best 3 of those games. Has pace, poise, endurance and as you say a booming kick.

Fell off the map in the second half of the season, (or maybe I lost interest) injured? Have noticed a few blokes who get to BH regularly have posted that he won't make it and should be cut.

McEntee is a monty to be upgraded.

Of the others maybe keep Gibson. What was seen early looked promising at BH.

Collins too light in the frame and injury prone.

Suckling back to NSW as per Rustys comments.:thumbsdown:

Apart from Crawf, do we have any other veterans? Has Smithy officially retired/been let go?

I reckon Brett Collins will get another year. He has heaps of talent (used to dominate in the ammos). I think he only played a couple of games at Box Hill this year and never got going due to injuries. I know for a fact that a few clubs were keen on him before we got in first.

I was actually going to start a thread to ask you guys about Sam Gibson's progress...

Watched him play a few times in early-mid season for Box Hill and looked extremely promising; runs pretty hard, breaks the lines and has a very punishing kick.

What's happened to him since then? And why do some of you think he isn't up to it? From what I witnessed he had more than enough quality to make it as a senior footballer, but I may not have seen enough of him...

Maybe we can take a punt on him down at Carlton. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that you've made that comment ...........(deleted)...., that's a pretty poorly thought-out comment, Rusty. :mad:

Maybe the comment relates to not putting in a training, not putting in during the pre season, maybe having a go at other players or officials, maybe not sticking to team rules... or a whole host of reasons which I do not wish to go into.

Ive seen this guy at training and what ive seen doesnt impress when compared to the rest... have you??????

Maybe the comment relates to not putting in a training, not putting in during the pre season, maybe having a go at other players or officials, maybe not sticking to team rules... or a whole host of reasons which I do not wish to go into.

Ive seen this guy at training and what ive seen doesnt impress when compared to the rest... have you??????

:eek: You deleted my question Rusty?

You know I always delete some of your posts Mojo.... its fun :) RH

Collins too light in the frame and injury prone.QUOTE]

He put on a lot in the upper body since he started. Worth developing when you see how he plays. Watch it all the way through and perhaps you might change your mind.

[YOUTUBE]SWL0IgM19V0[/YOUTUBE]

I love that video

Looking at that footage, collins looks an absolute gun!! although its a bit hard to judge against the quality compared to AFL level. When i sore the first part of the footage i thought it was Matt Suckling

Matt Suckling is a very silky player. i played my junior footy with him. bulk him up a bit and get his fitness up he could be anything. there is no doubting his football ability. i also played with adam schneider. both from the wagga wagga area. Sucko used to tear games apart in the same way schnides did. He's a wonderful kick of the footy, very similar player to Nick DalSanto, but if he is going to make it, he need to borrow some grunt off Campbell Brown. He is going to take some time because the standard of footy down this way isn't as good as down there.

McEntee has to be promoted. It may give us five rucks, but will give us much flexibility.

Not sure of others, but they show something, and considering those couple were from that strong draft, they'd be worth keeping on as rookie's next year.

When do rookie's normally get promoted?
Is it pending upon this Judd issue, delistings, and in particular Smiths situation?

So the general consensus seems to be:

1) McEntee to be upgraded/elevated to the senior list,
2) Collins to be retained on rookie list for a second year,
3) Gibson to be cut from rookie list, and
4) Suckling to be cut from rookie list.

Giving us 3 rookie spots to fill next year.

There you go - it's that easy! Now let's get cracking on the senior list..:D

McEntee - after two years development on our list can we afford to let someone else cash in? Doesn't seem to naturally find where to position himself in field play. If he can do more than be a tap ruck he is well worth a shot on the list.

If he gets upgraded does that mean we still have to use three draft picks?

Gibson - does not look remarkable enough. Good player but have not seen enough dazzle that he would need to get promoted.

Collins/Suckling - who knows. Cannot believe some of the injuries our rookies sustain prior and post selection.

Markovic - we carried this guy on our list whilst injured. He comes back to BHH and busts his guts. On attitude alone I would get this kid on our list. Plus he is a nice size and could develop into a big body defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawk Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back