Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 193 83.5%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Canberra

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Marvel

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Cairns

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, there is headline-grabbing speculation, and then there is this masterpiece of MSM trolling. The AFL has not endorsed Hawthorn to QLD; it's endorsed Cairns getting a club up there if they can convince them. At no point is anyone quoted directly or as background as Hawthorn discussing this. The AFLW has discussed it, and from that, the author takes the leap to Hawthorn is almost there.

Click bait extraordinaire.

One of the biggest reasons I used to hate Marvel was we clearly played the MCG better. I hated playing sides like North, Saints etc who were outside the 8 but could bring us down to their level at the Docklands, and we'd have to scrap and fight a win and sometimes fall over. However, now we seem to be playing a brand that could be dangerous on all grounds. Hard runners for the MCG, and slick ball movement, mobile attacking defence, and strong team systems that make it very hard to play us at Marvel. We beat the Dogs and Lions there this year, which shouldn't be under-rated as both play the ground very, very well. So it just comes down to financial now. Hopefully the AFL can better compensate sides when they do have their 2-3 home games at Marvel, because I'd prefer we stay in Melbourne, as the extra travel even to Tassie does add up.

Wow, there is headline-grabbing speculation, and then there is this masterpiece of MSM trolling. The AFL has not endorsed Hawthorn to QLD; it's endorsed Cairns getting a club up there if they can convince them. At no point is anyone quoted directly or as background as Hawthorn discussing this. The AFLW has discussed it, and from that, the author takes the leap to Hawthorn is almost there.

Click bait extraordinaire.

Dishonest clickbait from the Hun? Well I never!

Dishonest clickbait from the Hun? Well I never!

Heh. As if the herald sun has a corner on that market. Caro doesn’t work for them, does she?

Podcasts and small time bloggers are where you need to go for useful news. The HS, ABC, Age are all the same. Sensationalism and click bait. The only time they still prove useful is with direct quotes from hard to access sources and document leaks.

Heh. As if the herald sun has a corner on that market. Caro doesn’t work for them, does she?

Podcasts and small time bloggers are where you need to go for useful news. The HS, ABC, Age are all the same. Sensationalism and click bait. The only time they still prove useful is with direct quotes from hard to access sources and document leaks.

And they want you to pay for content they often lift word for word from other sources

Things are looking so positive on all fronts at the moment that a move to Cairns would be utterly deflating.

Means more games during the season I have no chance of attending.
I don't believe we are in the financial position that selling off games is even necessary.
And considering the unique weather conditions it's potentially a risk from an on-field perspective.

I'm surprised there is anything positive to be found here unless you support the Hawks and live up there.

I could certainly get around playing a couple of day games in Cairns in June/July.

Would make a good weekend of it for plenty of folks.

That would surprise me unless the current economic climate does a complete 180.
Otherwise I hope the '1%' within our membership base are ready to barrack loudly.

Nothing wrong with Marvel. Two extra stops on the train and a shorter walk.

Really sad that the club is not prepared to back itself and play all games in Melbourne.

I would rather play ONE games in Cairns than give up home ground advantage in Launceston v Devils.
It's an awful stadium and we'd be financially hamstrung by playing there. Brian Cook said it on the weekend, despite the AFL owning it, the financials are worse for the exact same crowd at Marvel than it is for the G. It's why even the Saints want out.

Regardless of that, it's an awful precinct and a significantly worse match-day experience, especially when you're playing indoors under fluorescent lights on a beautiful sunny day. Players don't like playing there as much, there are more injuries, and their tenants struggle in finals.

Always hoped we could hang onto 2 games in Launceston, but I could get around 2 in Cairns.

8 MCG - 2 Carins - 1 Marvel.

As a lifelong Hawthorn member since 1990 (and so passionate about this topic that I signed up to the forum, long term reader, first time poster), the Tasmania agreement has been one that I have such mixed emotions about when comparing with all friends & family of other clubs and their membership reciprocals & benefits.

Looking at the tenancy agreements of all 9 Melbourne Clubs, split models are now the norm, and could stomach;

7/8 MCG - any time fixtured home against other Victorian clubs & interstate clubs with larger supporter bases in Vic like Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast.
1/2 Marvel - any time fixtured home against Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast or GWS.
2 Launceston - against Tasmania & one other oppo (plus an away game against Tasmania in Hobart).

Cazaly's is a great stadium, have seen an AFL game there previously, and wonderful holiday destination, but the appetite of the community up there is not worth taking a Home game there imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attended Marvel on Sunday and enjoyed it 1000% more than the last time i went, they've definitely spent a fair bit to improve the matchday experience.. think the key is for us to play interstate clubs there to draw 25-35k per game and save our MCG home games for other VIC clubs.. i'd support 1 home game down in Tassie each year if the club want to maintain the connection.. 7 MCG, 3 Marvel, 1 TAS wouldn't be a bad outcome in my mind..

Can we play 2-3 dud games a year at Dingley?

Members would turn up and the atmosphere would be awesome - and it would give us a real point of difference rather than ‘same product, different jumper’.

The atmosphere at the last two marvel games has been quite good.

Fwiw if top level areas are to be closed, I would only close the two ends and allow GA to fill the front rows on the wings. Camera rarely pans to the top of the top deck so it will still fulfill that requirement

Last edited:
I don't want Cairns or Albury or anywhere else for our home games.
Preference is The G but I can live with docklands for some matches if that's what it comes to.

I'm over the whole playing interstate thing.
We are big club and should act like one and set Melbourne as home.

I don't want Cairns or Albury or anywhere else for our home games.
Preference is The G but I can live with docklands for some matches if that's what it comes to.

I'm over the whole playing interstate thing.
We are big club and should act like one and set Melbourne as home.
I’d be very happy if we sold 4 games to Perth.
We’d get a far bigger crowd than Tassie & it beats the shit out of my 1 game per season I currently get 😉

Re Marvel, I’d go to every Hawthorn game at any ground if I could.

Stay locked in in Victoria and try to grow the supporter base there. Our membership went north every year post 2008 , the reason is not only idle supporters spruiking interest but youngsters started to seperate themselves from their parents choice of club. We're bottom four yet have over 80k members, once we're up and flying , prime time slots, bankable players and hopefully premierships, then I can't see how we won't reach past 100,000!!! We're NOT poor club , so we really don't need to sell home games anywhere just to survive. Maybe 1 game a year to Tassie or Cairns but that's about it.

This is very good.

The club isn’t just the senior men’s team.

It will continue to grow the AFLW program and investing in Cairns as part of that growth. Showcase Hawthorn to lots of people in emerging markets.

Those who say / think - “we just want to play more games at the G” need to understand that in the next 10-20 years the competition will be dramatically different.

In order to flourish, we can’t be 100% Melbourne centric.

You know it makes sense.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

Back