Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were starting from scratch with a fwd line you’d want:

• main man power fwd
  • 2nd tall who can chop out in ruck
  • 3rd mid size type with fwd craft
  • 2 x small fwds
  • high half fwd

I think there are clear short term roles in that for gunston and chol. Ramsden will get plenty of chances with injuries.

Ryan showed a bit but is mature aged and has a lot to do to get his body and tank afl ready. I see him becoming afl quality as maybe only.

Not much fwd pressure in that lot though.

Surely Ramsden would wait till he can command a better salary before looking elsewhere for more opportunity - assuming he misses out at the Hawks

Is this thread your wondering out aloud space for the morning?

If you were starting from scratch with a fwd line you’d want:

• main man power fwd
  • 2nd tall who can chop out in ruck
  • 3rd mid size type with fwd craft
  • 2 x small fwds
  • high half fwd

I think there are clear short term roles in that for gunston and chol. Ramsden will get plenty of chances with injuries.

Ryan showed a bit but is mature aged and has a lot to do to get his body and tank afl ready. I see him becoming afl quality as maybe only.

I am pretty Bullish on Ryan, Sam mentions how he does some freakish things and he didnt look out of place in the Pies game. Desperately needs a full preseason and to learn leading patterns but reckon he will go alright.
Him and Lewis with maybe Chol or DGB as the third and Moore playing a bit deeper would work as his ability to get contest to contest is amazing. Best thing is though if we pick up Chol and Gunston there is a fight for spots, this will make us improve organically.

Not really - clearly I’m not the only one wondering what you were on about.
Donate $250 somewhere with proof and I’ll stop rattling your cage, which I clearly am.

I know for a fact you are willing to spend money to shut people up, I’m just naming my price.

If your ‘friends’ agree too, you can divvy the price.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis Chol Ryan Ramsden Gunners is almost no pressure. Playing 3 of them and Breust we would need to play butler maybe bring in Maurice Rioli jnr in the Kozi trade. Longer term my hope is Lewis Ramsden DGB and three smalls. Moore locked, I’m bullish on osullivan if he gets his body right and the others the jury is out. If butler worked out then we would be in pretty good shape.

Lewis Chol Ryan Ramsden Gunners is almost no pressure. Playing 3 of them and Breust we would need to play butler maybe bring in Maurice Rioli jnr in the Kozi trade. Longer term my hope is Lewis Ramsden DGB and three smalls. Moore locked, I’m bullish on osullivan if he gets his body right and the others the jury is out. If butler worked out then we would be in pretty good shape.
We had the problem this year with a lack of forward pressure. Worps playing mainly as a mid had the third most forward 50 tackles for us with 23 and averaged the fifth most behind Moore, Breust, Brockman (15 games) and Butler (8 games).

We’ve lost Brockman while Breust will be another year older and Butler might not play much. So it’s got every chance to get worse next year.

Interesting exercise to try and pick our starting forward line for 2024 (assuming all the trades to through)

Here is my crack

Bruest. Chol. Gunston.

Moore. Lewis. C Mac.

I’d prefer Ryan or DGB over Gunston depending on their preseasons.

Last edited:
We had the problem this year with a lack of forward pressure. Worps playing mainly as a mid had the third most forward 50 tackles for us with 23 and averaged the fifth most behind Moore, Breust, Brockman (15 games) and Butler (8 games).

We’ve lost Brockman while Breust will be another year older and Butler might not play much. So it’s got every chance to get worse next year.
Not a perfect measure, but given that we were one of the worst I50 teams in the comp we still did well to be mid table in terms of tackles I50. If we ever looked like we were getting opened up easily, more often than not it was shallow entries getting turned over in really bad spots and poor defending through the middle of the ground.

That said, if we're tall enough and marking the ball often enough then that's going to help us just as much as increasing our forward pressure. Don't need as much of it if you're keeping possession of the ball.

Not a perfect measure, but given that we were one of the worst I50 teams in the comp we still did well to be mid table in terms of tackles I50. If we ever looked like we were getting opened up easily, more often than not it was shallow entries getting turned over in really bad spots and poor defending through the middle of the ground.

That said, if we're tall enough and marking the ball often enough then that's going to help us just as much as increasing our forward pressure. Don't need as much of it if you're keeping possession of the ball.
We do well getting repeat stoppages and tackles when we do manage to initially lock it in. We also had pretty good tackle numbers from Nash, Meek and Croc.

Alongside Worpel it’s not a lot of run down pressure when those guys are getting a lot of tackles. Breust and Moore aren’t the frenetic pressure sort either.

Getting tackles is good but if there isn’t the constant pressure on the opposition defenders they will continue to hurt us the other way like they have.

Having some marking power up forward will help but I feel we are in desperate need of forward pressure and speed.

Sam Butler

Jack O'Sullivan

These two are capable of playing that role. However as it stands aren't in the best 22.
Butler is a funny one. Immensely talented with a burst of pace and a ferocious tackle. However, it almost looks as though he forgets he has these attributes at senior level. His brother was a late developer. I'm confident he'll come good, much like I was with Dylan Moore.

Sully just needs a good run with his body. Showed an ability to find the footy and pressure the ball carrier, despite spending a lot of his time across half forward.

Chad when fit.

I hope he makes it back from his injury. It will be a heck of an inspirational story if he does. It could be a fantastic story even if he doesn’t. I should probably feel shamed to say this, but I’m not: I hope they have had a film crew on him from the moment he was injured. I could watch a doco on his recovery a few times, I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back