List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In todays paper it states Hawthorn have offered Worpel a 2 year deal which he is happy with but both parties are apart on terms

View attachment 1768497

Something doesn't quite add up.

2 years isn't a long extension, and considering we all expected 3 minimum, I'd be surprised if money was the issue. Easier to pay a bloke for 2 years than 3 you'd think.

Don’t concern yourself with the motivation of AC, just concern yourself with the motivation of Sam and how he wants to improve the HFC List.
Oh we need to be concerned with what Clarko wants, if he is offering the right price for a player like Koschitzke. We got a first of the Roos for Thompson and Anderson. So please lets repeat history again.

North don’t have a second forward at the moment. Comben is perpetually injured and CCJ is absolutely useless.

Goldstein will also be finishing up very soon so they need someone to go into the ruck when Xerri needs a rest.

Kosi makes sense for north. Which is partially why I’m surprised they are going for him. They don’t make smart decisions often. Like giving up pick 19 for CCJ.
If Kozi does go to North, no brainer to bring in Silvagni - if he wants to leave Carlton

Something doesn't quite add up.

2 years isn't a long extension, and considering we all expected 3 minimum, I'd be surprised if money was the issue. Easier to pay a bloke for 2 years than 3 you'd think.
2 takes Worps to FA, that is the angle being worked on. If we pay others bit more, he may not be in top 25% and then RFA too.

I am keen to see the amount of Interest from North for our depth players like Harry, Kosi, Bramble. Had wanted to keep Greene when I was sure Kosi & jeka were getting delisted. Now want to keep all the talls if no trade can be done.

Morris, Bramble, Greene are on delist/trade block
Chad, Scrimma, CJ, Harry, Long etc on Trade block or 1 yr deals if OOC.

Not sure if another club looking for ruck will ask questions of Meek as it looks like he will remain behind Reeves.

Jeka could be a good trade to Eagles. Wingard's stocks have gone up over the last month so could get a decent young player for him.

DGB might be on the trade table also given he can't seem to make a go at it at AFL level.

I know Breust is playing as good as ever but he is now 32 turning 33, do we do what we have done with Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell etc. in the past and move him on even though he's signed to end of 2024? He still has some trade power.
Clarko pushing S.Mitchell & Lewis out the door was the beginning of the end.

There's monumental stuff ups, and then there's what happened end of 2016 at Hawthorn.

Breust stays, his IQ and leadership is first class. He is a valuable mentor to our small forwards.

There's monumental stuff ups, and then there's what happened end of 2016 at Hawthorn.

Breust stays, his IQ and leadership is first class. He is a valuable mentor to our small forwards.
As far as Sam goes, I think it was a great decision for both him and the club. Particularly in hindsight, it set in motion everything to get us to where we are.

Lewis should have been named Captain, rather than having that discussion. Though, I do think he could have handled the situation better.

Last edited:
As far as Sam goes, I think it was a great decision for both him and the club. Particularly in hindsight, it set in motion every to get us to where we are.

Lewis should have been named Captain, rather than having that discussion. Though, I do think he could have handled the situation better.
17-5 season, and the bnf winner and runners up get pushed out, has this happened before at any other club?

And then to replace those 2 with t.mitchell & o'meara was not "like for like" at all. The trickle effect this had on the rest of the squad was enormous.

Clarko lost the core players with this decision.

Breust stays, Wingard for picks/points towards McCabe.

IN LIKE FINN
Finn Maginness has started early talks with Hawthorn on a new deal as he prepares for a potential battle against Brownlow Medal favourite Marcus Bontempelli.
Those talks are only in the early stages but as the Hawks wait on discussions with James Worpel, Maginness will be on the Hawthorn list next year.

By that logic Kozi is worth ports first.
Plead Monty Python GIF
Apart from the suns, North would be the only club dumb enough to give a pick that good for Kosi.

North could have had CCJ for free as well. He was never in a million years worth near pick 19.

Yep, 100% agree. I find it really interesting that this happened just after Fagen left. It was like the one person at the club that had been holding back all Clarkos more crazy/extreme ideas had left, and now he was cashing in.

The worst part might be yet to come out of this...Cooper Hodge being Lions academy.

17-5 season, and the bnf winner and runners up get pushed out, has this happened before at any other club?

And then to replace those 2 with t.mitchell & o'meara was not "like for like" at all. The trickle effect this had on the rest of the squad was enormous.

Clarko lost the core players with this decision.

Breust stays, Wingard for picks/points towards McCabe.
Wingard stays popular along the group and one of the few older heads we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guys I think are at risk are: morris, bramble and ferg. Could also add Jeka

Lynch is already gone.

Trade bait- brockman and DGB

Possible trades- Kosi, Chad and Frost. Sad to say Worps be traded if we can’t reach an agreement.

Leave Bruest alone. He is going to be a 1 club player. The guy has done enough this year to justify another go around in 2024.

The guys I think are at risk are: morris, bramble and ferg. Could also add Jeka

Lynch is already gone.

Trade bait- brockman and DGB

Possible trades- Kosi, Chad and Frost. Sad to say Worps be traded if we can’t reach an agreement.

Leave Bruest alone. He is going to be a 1 club player. The guy has done enough this year to justify another go around in 2024.
Breust is already contracted.

I think our list is in a great spot. Yes, our key weaknesses are still the key positions, but do we really need to go out and splash the cash?

What we saw on Saturday against Collingwood was the best forward structure and setup that I have seen us put out in a long while, at least in this decade. Lewis was allowed to thrive at CHF. At CHF, he's able to get up the ground and show his athletic capabilities while being able to track back and win contests up forward.
Ryan was clunking marks for fun. His 200cm stature and long arms make him very hard to stop in an aerial contest. Heck, even Mitchell Lewis couldn't stop him, as Ryan snatched the ball out of the hands of Lewis to kick one of his three goals.
Koschitzke looked much more relieved in a third key forward/pinch hitting ruck role. He was also clunking marks like I've rarely seen him do.
They were also bringing the ball to the ground for our general forwards, who were at their crumbing best on Saturday.
If they can close out the season well as a trio, do we really need to bring in Ben King or Jake Riccardi? Sure, they would fix our issues almost immediately, and I'm a great fan of both of them, but do we need to go out and spend when we could have the answer to our troubles from within?

The question of what to do with our key defensive spot alongside James Blanck is a bit harder. Sam Frost has served us reasonably well, but I think the time has come to move on from him. Jai Serong and Emerson Jeka have performed well at Box Hill as defenders. Sam said DGB will still be a defender. And we have Will McCabe coming in. Much has been made here about potentially bringing in Nick Haynes. I think he would be a good player for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back