Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is also true of every other team in contention for finals, however. Being behind others in percentage does complicate it. Additionally, the season doesn't really tighten up much at the end of the year - quite often it's the opposite and the final rounds see blow outs as clubs out of contention tend to give up.
Teams around each other fighting for spots in the 8 there won't be blowouts. Geelong are a big chance of losing quite a bit of percentage the next few weeks seeing their draw and they were one of the teams with a hefty percentage not that long ago. Teams like GC are up and down every week. We just have to minimise a blowout. Any heavy loss we are done even if we do get to 13 wins.

Even at my most optimistic I didn't think this thread would be kicking at this time of the season .
It's great tbh .

We need to hold our form , easier said then dome but if we can we are in every game .

I think our next two will tell the story .
Eagle off the bye away will be tough .
Then the old nemesis away and they may have everything to play for also.

Snag both I almost feel we are infront of the curve........

It really is 1 game at a time. For a young side, and seeing where we have come from, the improvement from this group has been astonishing.

It feels like a mixture of 2006/2007. Where you could see the players building up, and were on the verge of something special. At the start of the year until the Port loss, was more 2006 in that the team was inconsistent, had stages, but not quite there, just missed out on finals after the Port loss feels more like 2007, more consistent, but unable to blow teams away, made finals and won a final, with the young kids standing up to win it. Lost the following week, the loss then spurned on 2008.

I think if we can keep the consistency, then we are a good chance.

Was Sam's second game as senior coach. No one gave us a chance but we came out and blitzed them by 10 goals.
And in the post game Hinkley states he didn’t know how port lost as they met all the kpis.

You say 6 of the 50 worst kicks....I say you only need to look at the top 5 - Watson, Dear and Ginnivan are all represented in the Top 5 worst shots for goal in the AFL.

They have combined for 28 goals so far, and should have been 41, even with 'average' kicking. A goal a game just from those three players through poor goal-kicking.

Even if they only kicked the ones they should, we beat Pies and Power - and are now sitting at 9-5, equal 2nd on the ladder.
So true, and yet at the same time, disappointing to see 3 of the top 5 are ours. Our Defensive 50 and even midfielders seem to have focussed on improving their disposal efficiency over the summer to the point that all have DE% over 75 except Worps and Nash at ~70%. How the forwards have not managed this, or the coaches not addressed this, is a bit frustrating. Essendon should have/could have been a win, Port and the Pies definitely plus the games we lost may have been by much less, thus improving the overall % we are currently having to address in the lead up to finals.

So true, and yet at the same time, disappointing to see 3 of the top 5 are ours. Our Defensive 50 and even midfielders seem to have focussed on improving their disposal efficiency over the summer to the point that all have DE% over 75 except Worps and Nash at ~70%. How the forwards have not managed this, or the coaches not addressed this, is a bit frustrating. Essendon should have/could have been a win, Port and the Pies definitely plus the games we lost may have been by much less, thus improving the overall % we are currently having to address in the lead up to finals.
I mean, 2 of the guys we've got in the top 5 are new to the league this year and the other one is 21. Give them a little bit of time before we talk about how frustrating it is. They're adjusting.

I mean, 2 of the guys we've got in the top 5 are new to the league this year and the other one is 21. Give them a little bit of time before we talk about how frustrating it is. They're adjusting.
Exactly. Heaps of improvement in all three.

And they'll all be aware of it and be working to improve.

It really is 1 game at a time. For a young side, and seeing where we have come from, the improvement from this group has been astonishing.

It feels like a mixture of 2006/2007. Where you could see the players building up, and were on the verge of something special. At the start of the year until the Port loss, was more 2006 in that the team was inconsistent, had stages, but not quite there, just missed out on finals after the Port loss feels more like 2007, more consistent, but unable to blow teams away, made finals and won a final, with the young kids standing up to win it. Lost the following week, the loss then spurned on 2008.

I think if we can keep the consistency, then we are a good chance.

Age demographic similar to those times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stars are aligning with the results so far this round.

As long as we keep winning we are playing finals baby.

Are we barracking for Norf tonight? :sickv1:
If they played like they did last week then I think they can win. Clarko should be sending a hard tag to Oliver and if Xerri can keep Gawn honest they'd been in with a good shot. However, it is North.

I reckon there are 3 spots available as of today. Cats, Port and the Bombres will struggle to scrape in. Bontempelli will get in I’d say. So it’s us, Suns, Freo and Melbourne vying for the other two spots.

Last edited:
3 competitors for the finals getting their percentage destroyed this weekend. Geelong and Port down to a 10% gap or about 120 points difference to make up. GWS down to 15% gap or about 180 points
revenge of the sith GIF by Star Wars

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Back