Hawks, Roos or Doggies in Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Rob

True, but Tassie is (geographically) about 20 or 30 times the size of Adelaide. That therein lies the problem. Whether you play in Launceston or Hobart, more than half the state lives too far away to go regularly. If everyone lived in Hobart, there would have probably been a side there in the 80's. But the population is too spread out (and declining), the economy is a complete joke, living standards are the lowest of any state, so people have less money to spend on luxuries like football memberships and the government is too busy worrying about the unemployment problem than being bothered spending $30 million on a new football stadium.

In short, no club would be crazy enough to want to move there. It would be like the Swans packing up and moving to Newcastle.

Beautifully put, Rob! :confused:

Originally posted by mantis
Don't know about anyone else, but I am sick of seeing interstate supporters always calling for Victorian clubs to fold, merge, or relocate. :mad:

I'm sick of seeing Victorian clubs continually moan, bitch and whine about how tough life is in the AFL, and how all their problems are due to the AFL, other clubs, Al Qaida and the population of Greenland instead of their own mismanagement, lack of foresight and fickle fans. :mad:

Originally posted by Rob

In short, no club would be crazy enough to want to move there. It would be like the Swans packing up and moving to Newcastle.

Yet, in a rugby League State, the Newcastle Knights are the strongest team in the competition! If Tasmania can overcome its North/South rivalries a Tasmanian club can be a success.

North Melbourne will not survive in Melbourne - Canberra is not a long term option and Sydney has already failed. They must bite the bullet as soon as possible.

Rodney Eade can coach them, and Richo can play full forward!

By the way if the Swans have a higher salary cap because of the cost of living/housing in Sydney will Tasmania have their salary cap cut below the other teams?

There would probably be room for an off-field marketing opportunity cap allowance, for teams in cities where there are few lucrative ways for players to earn money off the field.

Essentially, the only place that wouldn't get a bonus of some sort would be Melbourne. At least 80% of AFL media comes from Melbourne, and its players from Melbourne based clubs that you keep seeing on national TV.

A new side needs to be formed.

None of the three teams mentioned will relocate.

There will not be enough spectator or corporate support...let alone the fact that the AFL have already refused to give any handouts.

The Tasmanian Opposition have plans to give 3 million a year to a relocating side, should they be elected. Great, now all they need to do is add about another 10 million and they should be in the ballpark. Mmm, not a vote winner, that one.

It won't happen..end of story.

If you gave the Hawks a choice to move there or not the would probably say no.

simple dont give them a choice order them to go there !!

It's the AFL, not a suburban VFL anymore

so move em !! who cares if the hawthorn supporters have a sook they still have tv's !

oh and by the way...

if the hawthorn supporters want to have a sook at me

well Adelaide, Port, Brisbane etc... have to watch there (deserved) winning teams play in Victria even if there is no Victrian in the Prelim or Grand Final so Move the Hawks show no Mercey it DOES NOT mean your ruining history because that is garbage it is in the better interest of the game to move the game to more parts of the country and hopefully before the end of my lifetime International...

keep moving forward AFL

Originally posted by Rob

True, but Tassie is (geographically) about 20 or 30 times the size of Adelaide. That therein lies the problem. Whether you play in Launceston or Hobart, more than half the state lives too far away to go regularly.
It is no more than a 2 hour drive between Launceston & Hobart. How far away is that? It's around 4 hours from Devonport to Hobart. Mind you Melbourne supporters would find it to be a huge distance seeing they can't travel about 2km to Optus!

Originally posted by Rob

the economy is a complete joke, living standards are the lowest of any state, so people have less money to spend on luxuries like football memberships
What crap! Low living standards? Well bugger me, I've just moved to a hell hole then!:rolleyes: The living standards are better than they are in Melbourne.

Originally posted by Rob

Yep, without doubt it's the end of the earth.:rolleyes: And soooo far away isn't it? I mean it takes at least 55 minutes on the plane. How far away is Perth again?

Originally posted by chev1977

so move em !! who cares if the hawthorn supporters have a sook they still have tv's !

You're obviously razzing up the Hawk supporters here. ;) The truth is that Hawks, through savvy management (membership's doin' very well) and onfield performance (the 1980s won't be forgotten so easily) are just fine where they are. It's some other clubs who'd have to give this sort of thing consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by chev1977

I think you'll find it's the perth teams who winge about going to tassie.

Fact is the AFL don't believe Tasmania can successfully sustain an AFL team. Wayne Jackson put Southport and NT ahead of Tasmania as the places most likely to get an AFL club in 20 years time.

I have no idea what he is basing that on. Tasmania is better logistically than NT, has more people, better climate for AFL and already has the infrastructure set up.

I think the arrangement will continue as it is - Hawthorn playing 3 games in Tassie each year with the state having a club at VFL level.

Originally posted by Jars458

ROFLMAO

You idiot

Back to your Victorian bunker my friend

Provide evidence that Port has payed back their licence fee. The facts are that they recieved a concession, i.e a monetary handout, in that they did not have to pay the licence fee when due. i.e a loan. interest free.

Who is the idiot who cannot see this.

Porthos raised the issue of Victorian clubs recieving handouts not me. I just reminded him of this fact.

Originally posted by Rob

True, but Tassie is (geographically) about 20 or 30 times the size of Adelaide. That therein lies the problem. Whether you play in Launceston or Hobart, more than half the state lives too far away to go regularly. If everyone lived in Hobart, there would have probably been a side there in the 80's. But the population is too spread out (and declining), the economy is a complete joke, living standards are the lowest of any state, so people have less money to spend on luxuries like football memberships and the government is too busy worrying about the unemployment problem than being bothered spending $30 million on a new football stadium.

You West Aussies really do live in a nother world don't ya's:rolleyes: I'm in New York & even I know more about Tasmania that you.:eek:

Let's face facts, unless there is a major turnaround in clubs fortunes, four Victorian clubs are going to become extinct.

If you can't make the money then you don't deserve to be in a national competition, wealthier clubs should not have to prop them up. The AFL will expand 3 regions have been contemplated all off which will get a team sooner or later, however the AFL will not be allowing anymore than 16 clubs in the league, something has to give.

Clubs like St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Geelong should be trying to get relocated otherwise they will not be able to survive as players demand more money and general operating costs increase.

Quite frankly these four teams don't deserve to be in the AFL, can't pay, can't stay.

Originally posted by Zombie
Clubs like St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Geelong should be trying to get relocated

Geelong?? They're just fine where they are--they're the team for Vic.'s second largest city. As far I'm concerend they're as important to the concept of a National Comp as any "interstate" team. Besides, on supporter strength I'd have thought the fourth team'd be the Dees, certainly not Geelong.

Originally posted by Lionel Lyon

Geelong?? They're just fine where they are--they're the team for Vic.'s second largest city. As far I'm concerend they're as important to the concept of a National Comp as any "interstate" team. Besides, on supporter strength I'd have thought the fourth team'd be the Dees, certainly not Geelong.

I was of the belief Dandenong was Victoria's second biggest city... well that is what the sign says anyway... maybe there is more then one second....

Originally posted by choppy

Provide evidence that Port has payed back their licence fee. The facts are that they recieved a concession, i.e a monetary handout, in that they did not have to pay the licence fee when due. i.e a loan. interest free.

Who is the idiot who cannot see this.

Porthos raised the issue of Victorian clubs recieving handouts not me. I just reminded him of this fact.

and how dare you Choppy... telling them the truth... how dare you.... Shame Shame Shame...

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks, Roos or Doggies in Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back