Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

This has been discussed in 'Yabby Vote Thread' briefly and perhaps can be expanded here.

Though Stratts played on Wingard a good part of the game but really it was ring a ring a rosy for players on players (our backs v their forwards).

Felt Stratts did what he was required to do and I had him in our best.:thumbsu:

Wingard didn't do anything effective until he went into the middle and then all hell broke loose. Unfortunately Stratts could not follow him there . . .

I think ken hinkley is an absolute gentlemen and great coach to boot. I respect everything he, kochie and other support staff at Port have done and admire their supporters for really getting behind their team and showing class at the game and mostly in this thread.

I know it wont be long before I hate them again because they will be a gun outfit for years to come(they inflicted some of the heaviest losses our club has experienced). I wont predict flags or anything because they are hard to win at any time.

On the game we were pretty shocking as a team for the 1st quarter and last 10 minutes, and I don't often say this but we were outcoached.

But the core are there and it's a good core - they have every right to be confident going forward

My point being the Hawks had a good core in 2008, and actually won the flag. What happened to us in 2009 & 2010? There are so many things that could happen to alter Port's direction in seasons to come. Confidence is one thing, reality is another.

Alot of people saying Spang didn't have a match up - but in most contests he was either out positioned, out muscled, or just plain out marked. That isn't going to change against a taller forwardline or defence.

He DID make a contest most times and was at the contest alot - also probably lost less than 50% outright - but he didn't win many either.

Depending on how Cheney / Shoenmakers goes today - there may be a change. I really like Spang - but I love all the hawks and you have to have your best team on the park.

Yeah, but jeez he did have an inordinate number of clangers . . . (wasn't Robinson Crusoe on that front unfortunately)

My point being the Hawks had a good core in 2008, and actually won the flag. What happened to us in 2009 & 2010? There are so many things that could happen to alter Port's direction in seasons to come. Confidence is one thing, reality is another.

The hawks went into 2009 with injury woes and a serious case of over inflated sense of worth
Depending on their post seasons surgery port will go into 2015 with a burn in their gut to go further
It's not as though they weren't thereabouts in 2013 and have used 2014 to continue building.
You are right though, there are no guarantees but as it stands they look very good and hence have no reason not to be confident

What did everyone think of the Langford/Boak match up
The Langford/Boak was a tremendous battle. Boak probably finished off the game a touch better.
There hasn't been much said of Hill - I though he kept you in the game early.
just got back from the long drive but enjoyed going to the G - good luck next week

Spangher will be extremely fortunate to play next week. Was clearly our worst player.

Highest amount of clangers on the ground, highest frees against on the ground.

I know he's not suited to the port small forwards. But he was moved forward in the second half and was clearly beaten by Carlisle. Including that contest in the final minute in our forward pocket and he just had to spoil and was easily out marked by Carlisle.

Unfortunately the only alternative is schoenmakers.
Not only Spangher , I saw some crappy handballs miss targets, and some crappy kicks. And some indecision , won't happen next week.
By the way at least they were handballs that missed , I think I may have seen more than three from Port with absolute illegal disposal, or as we called it last century. THROWING! What is wrong with Litherland. Remember Sewell and Cyril.

I think Spangher also just didnt have a great game, ignore match up theories. Could say the same of Poppy, Cegs, maybe Shiels and Mitchell by his standards. Spangs is allowed an off day and I still would have him ahead of Schoey next week (and I like Schoey, but not in his current body shape)
Iam quite surprised at the cracks at Spangher. He doesn't have to be mr game saver by marks and kicks. WHAT HE DOES IS COMPETE. HE COMPETES, IF YOU COMPETE THE OPPOSITION DOES NOT BREAK AWAY AS EASILY, SPANG COMPETES, competes competes and competes.

I saw one of our regulars hesitate twice, before after a while a goal, gave him some heart, I think that players had an off day because of the week off. I hate twilight games. Spreading runners were not spreading and running yesterday, not all the time. I agree Sams usual 2 million possessions there, but for him it was an average day at the office. Hawthorn need to be ready to die next week , a bit like Langford who is courageous and never stops , like Spangher, Poppy will fire up as will others , whose egos and ears will be burning today . Spang is needed for Sydney, btw.

Someone had the gall to have a shot at Gibbo, shit turn it up!

For some reason and I still think it is the week off, we couldn't run or decide yesterday, we hospital handballed our own into trouble , that weeks rest I reckon rests your brain too much, as well.

If your good enough to get the Prelim win, then you go to the next level as Pros' in the GF, PROFESSIONALS who know what to do.

I don't pretend to know who'll win , but Sydney will not have a game like last Friday , they will have a war. Time to give some appreciation for our scraping win, and Port fans who seem to know they didn't deserve it, we had the upper hand most of the game.

For us Port are very hard , we have and had trouble with them this season,

We won gang , we won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iam quite surprised at the cracks at Spangher. He doesn't have to be mr game saver by marks and kicks. WHAT HE DOES IS COMPETE. HE COMPETES, IF YOU COMPETE THE OPPOSITION DOES NOT BREAK AWAY AS EASILY, SPANG COMPETES, competes competes and competes.

I saw one of our regulars hesitate twice, before after a while a goal, gave him some heart, I think that players had an off day because of the week off. I hate twilight games. Spreading runners were not spreading and running yesterday, not all the time. I agree Sams usual 2 million possessions there, but for him it was an average day at the office. Hawthorn need to be ready to die next week , a bit like Langford who is courageous and never stops , like Spangher, Poppy will fire up as will others , whose egos and ears will be burning today . Spang is needed for Sydney, btw.

Someone had the gall to have a shot at Gibbo, shit turn it up!

For some reason and I still think it is the week off, we couldn't run or decide yesterday, we hospital handballed our own into trouble , that weeks rest I reckon rests your brain too much, as well.

If your good enough to get the Prelim win, then you go to the next level as Pros' in the GF, PROFESSIONALS who know what to do.

I don't pretend to know who'll win , but Sydney will not have a game like last Friday , they will have a war. Time to give some appreciation for our scraping win, and Port fans who seem to know they didn't deserve it, we had the upper hand most of the game.

For us Port are very hard , we have and had trouble with them this season,

We won gang , we won.

Jesus, you are right!

We must keep the faith.

Plenty has been made of Port's poor kicking in the first. But on a rewatch it's noticeable that they were missing snaps under pressure and set shots from long range out on the boundary. Only one of Schulz's was something that really should have been kicked. So while they had plenty of the ball, we were doing well preventing them from generating good shots. Frankly we should have kicked at least 4 in the first as we were getting much better opportunities (although a lot less of them obviously).

Plenty has been made of Port's poor kicking in the first. But on a rewatch it's noticeable that they were missing snaps under pressure and set shots from long range out on the boundary. Only one of Schulz's was something that really should have been kicked. So while they had plenty of the ball, we were doing well preventing them from generating good shots. Frankly we should have kicked at least 4 in the first as we were getting much better opportunities (although a lot less of them obviously).
A lot of the credit has to go to Hodge was immense in the first. We were a rabble in the first few minutes lost our structures way to easily in the first 5 minutes. Hodgey went back there and rallied the troops "Gather up keep in formation" etc. We were therefore able to limit the damage.

I've just re-watched the last quarter and it seemed to me that only 1 or 2 out of about a dozen 50/50 umpiring calls went our way during that quarter.

That really helped Port keep its momentum going.

An example is Lobbe shoving Ceglar square in the back (with zero eyes for the ball) enabling Polec's long goal to carry the line, versus Monfries getting a dodgy free (and goal) for interference by Gibbo.

That last one for Jonas HTB was ridiculous, but perhaps deserved after the earlier Spangher HTB where Wines actually had it.

Don't normally talk about the umps but think they had an impact at the end there.

What really stuck with me during the game was how poorly we were in tackling an opponent. Almost every player was beaten at one time or another in a one-on-one which gave Port tremendous momentum.

Though Duryea's tackle on Boak in the second had me up off the couch & cheering.

This is an area where every player that runs out next Saturday has to improve on markedly.

Whereas last year was exultant relief after the PF & the year before was excitement because we'd made the GF, yesterday I had the feeling that the business is yet to be done. We've still got the job to do.

And we can do it.

What really stuck with me during the game was how poorly we were in tackling an opponent. Almost every player was beaten at one time or another in a one-on-one which gave Port tremendous momentum.
This has been happening for years.

We are the worst tacklers in the game

Though Duryea's tackle on Boak in the second had me up off the couch & cheering.

This is an area where every player that runs out next Saturday has to improve on markedly.

Whereas last year was exultant relief after the PF & the year before was excitement because we'd made the GF, yesterday I had the feeling that the business is yet to be done. We've still got the job to do.

And we can do it.
Reckon against the Cats our tackles stuck, and were ferocious...I dont think the boys necessarily tackled less against Port or had their tackles broken....what they did not do when tackling was to focus on shutting the ball down/ pin the arms so the opposition cant, whilst tackled, direct the ball to a teammate. The Swans are slick handballers in close, and have some of the strongest mids that are able to still find handballs to teammates even when crunched in tackles...always getting their hands free...until eventually it gets on to a runner on the outside who breaks free.

Our tackling and ability to get a hand/foot in to stop the little handballs/throws getting out of the contest will be crucial

I had the wife on the phone at home counting the clock down for the last 1.06 secs....most of the people around me were listening to me repeat her...44, 43,...40...
When it got to lake she was saying 8,7,6,5 - and then the siren sounded...tv broadcast is obviously on a 2-3 sec delay...

Not sure which prelim final was most intense...this years or last..
Damn! Wish I had thought of doing that. Everyone around us kept asking how long was left. May have made it a bit easier lol

This has been happening for years.

We are the worst tacklers in the game

If you look back on last year's PF and GF I'm willing to bet that the tackles were really sticking esp, in the final quarter against Geelong and the entire GF. Poor tackling won't win it on Saturday.

Reckon against the Cats our tackles stuck, and were ferocious...I dont think the boys necessarily tackled less against Port or had their tackles broken....what they did not do when tackling was to focus on shutting the ball down/ pin the arms so the opposition cant, whilst tackled, direct the ball to a teammate. The Swans are slick handballers in close, and have some of the strongest mids that are able to still find handballs to teammates even when crunched in tackles...always getting their hands free...until eventually it gets on to a runner on the outside who breaks free.

Our tackling and ability to get a hand/foot in to stop the little handballs/throws getting out of the contest will be crucial

Yeah our tackles weren't broken as such, its just that the Port players were able to get their hands free to dish it off. I guess in that sense the tackles were 'broken', however not as bad as letting a player through and being out of the contest.

Against Geelong, Hawks tackling pressure was first class. Need to get back to that

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Back