Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Prelim finals are the most excruciating experience, so nervous all week.

Well played by Will Langford & he's very serious in post match interviews, MMM didn't know how to take him.

General views around the media is the Lewis "should" be ok. And now we've still got Cyril in the wings.
Lyon and Brayshaw are bigger morons on radio than they are on TV... both go off like Darrell Eastlake at the most minor of things

Gotta agreed with this. Both Hale and Ceglar offered very little tonight, either one could be sacrificed for a Big boy who could provide a solid defensive 50 mark in the hole ahed of buddy and riperriper

I think we watched different games, Both of them played well IMHO.

Gotta agreed with this. Both Hale and Ceglar offered very little tonight, either one could be sacrificed for a Big boy who could provide a solid defensive 50 mark in the hole ahed of buddy and riperriper
How would you rate spangher game. Did he do enough to retain his spot ?

I just relised how massive roughead has been. Most people tend to mention buddy over roughead but dam has he stepped up this season, at this moment i would rate him higher then buddy.

Only people who haven't watched footy for the past 2 seasons rate Franklin ahead of Roughead. Roughie's the best tall forward in the competition.

Oh .. and to any Geelong flogs who happen to be here ... that is why Roughead was in the Team of the Year instead of Hawkins. Understand now?

Good win hawks, pity for a while there i had hopes of heading to Melbourne next week. enjoyed the week and the banter, now that we can't its up to you guys beat the cola flogs.

You Port folks are great. Your club is great, you scared me poopless today. You are beginning a dynasty, you have a marvellous coach , you have a marvellous boss Kochie and you are premiership material of the highest order.

I am NOT piddling in your pocket because we won, I mean it.

The best thing about Port is you are an old traditional club and we respect your great football. Your SANFL club too, and your history.

We''ll be watching your advancement.

The strength of your club is the power of your opponent, we got a deadly opponent today, and you are on your way , you are a POWER!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My heart stopped - I really thought they had blown it. Year after year they do this to us supporters - selfish jerks :p

Spangher tried very hard to ensure he is dropped
Pop had a shocker
Gunner had a shocker

Langford and Duryea came of age

Hodge and ruff stood up in a final - they were immense

Geelong had similar close victories in prelims. We were in complete control of that game. Late flurries happen in footy matches, however they rarely produce the ultimately priZe. We are still the best team at the mcg and capable of beating anyone. Rioli must fire now. We need our full compliment of players. We need some magic. Hawks have a huge opportunity to capitalise on this era, and match Geelong. The Swans also are in the same boat. Just massive

KOLOKOTRONIS

Im completely wrapped with this win...had a terrible feeling about this game all week and no amount of comment/article reading convinced me otherwise...my doubts only grew stronger at the end of the 1st quarter... I was so impressed at how good we were and how we just dominated Port, defended by winning the hardball/contests I have to admit this side is unbelievable...better than i thought TBH....and yes i got ahead of myself in the last with 10mins to go, texting, calling, congratulating because like it or not at that point in the last Hawks were beating Port GOING AWAY...for all their superior fitness. Some will say the myth was proved tonight, i say we took our foot off the gas a touch too early (with the help of a few 50/50 decisions at best) and gave them the belief to just go for it!!! That means at stages having NO DEFENDERS in the defensive 50 at a center bounce LOL..let me get this straight, Hawks went into their shell playing for time because they thought it was sewn up...no dramas lesson learnt...and Port had nothing to lose...shows when teams play with NO FEAR or Hesitation and have some momentum, that is the most dangerous sides...look at Geelong vs North Elim Final...Geelong were dominated all game, nothing to lose, let loose and got on a roll...that DOES NOT equate to this mythical superior fitness. I do give credit to Port for an unbelievable game and for Never Giving Up...i do not bow to their 'superior fitness' however.

In conclusion Im super stocked with that win, and with the side. As experienced as the team is they learnt another valuable lesson today which may prove vital next week....and that's never ever ever get ahead of yourself...you play till the final siren and never switch off until that siren sounds, no matter how in control you think you are, or how far behind you think you are. I am worried how our backline will hold up against the Swans, and honestly in truth, Buddy in particluar...i know Gibbo is suppose to be a good match 4 him etc But the reason I despise Franklin is for as good as he was at Hawthorn and for everything he and the club achieved...Buddy WAS NEVER AS GOOD AS HE IS NOW!!! and that includes 08' and people may disagree whatever, but for years every time the ball was kicked to him in perfect marking situations i wished for him to mark the ball the way he is now, and yeah he did magic things on the ground and on the lead but he never became the complete 'faultless' forward he is now at SYDNEY...and that's what burns me the most because I cant cheer for him, or call his name pre the ball getting kicked to him at the ground in a 1on1 knowing he will take the mark!!! (Frrrrraaaaannnnkkkkliiinnn)) but the GF is probably on Lances boot...deep down i hope he still holds a soft spot for Hawthorn, otherwise I think the safe money would be Lance for Norm as much as I hate to say it...and that would be more heartbreaking than if we lost today

Happy to be proven wrong again like i was today...maybe i am a doubting Thomas...i hope so...GO THE HAWWWWWKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
P.S Lewis is fine!!!

When I saw Lake line up on Wingard I thought Clarko forgot his meds. Turned out to be one of the great coaching masterstrokes by any Hawthorn coach I've remembered.

Nobody likes a sore loser or a hypocrite.

Clear implication in your post of PEDs, take the victory with some grace hey?

On topic:

• Breust was handy at times but struggled to get in to it for the most part in our forward half, no goal from him first time for the year. Expect him to be pretty disappointed with that.
  • Solid decision to bring Suckling in, instrumental in the second quarter where we regained control of the match.
  • Ceglar couldn't match the pace for the most part, but did some good things. Big boy will take his spot I suspect
  • Duryea - Gueryea? Excellent endeavour from this young man!
  • Gunston was flying at everything early but didn't take much in the end, structurally was good for us. Floated down back on occasions where we needed it.
  • Lake isn't suited for a Schulz type but we tactically managed that to a fair degree, his intercept timing is looking good.
  • Poppy - gave his all and will be kicking that he didn't have more influence on the game. Hope to see him respond as well.

Last edited:
I demand a rematch. Now. :(

Ain't gunna be no rematch.

images

Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Back