Autopsy Hawks vs Roos - tear it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Just his positioning is phenomenal , he was either there or there abouts for every kicked bombed in long. Also loved his reaction when the final siren went - clearly meant a lot to him to justify his move and we were under siege for most of that last half .

He will only get better with more match fitness. Looking forward to taking on Hawkins and Cloke in the return matches.

And take away the one that hit the post? It all evens out. I know you guys are frustrated about the umpiring but you were second to the ball. We smashed you around the packs but we were not good enough to finish you off.
If you think the free kicks "evened out" you're blind as a bat.

Awesome contribution. I will leave you to discuss the AFL conspiracy against the Hawks.
Get stuffed.

Bugger off back to your own board mate, we don't want your opinions around here thanks.

Think Hill was only thereabouts, did good things but just needs to work on his finishing.

And whats with Sammy not having that kick at goal from outside 50 late in the 4th, instead he pops it up to nowhere.

If you think the free kicks "evened out" you're blind as a bat.

Bugger off back to your own board mate, we don't want your opinions around here thanks.

Cite the frees that weren't there and the ones you should have received? Stop blaming the umpires as you were on top of the differentials up this game.

All good teams win under adversary and that's exactly what your team did, we are not arguing that all but some humility in that north were very good but made too many mistakes and Hawthorn capitalised on them is the sign of a quality outfit.

We are not a contender at this stage so a win would have been huge for us but the reality is we weren't good enough.

Good win hawks fans, disappointing with Cyril hope its not a bad injury, really flat today, thought we were gonna take the biggest scalp in the game but great teams always find a way to win. Good luck for the rest of the year:thumbsu:
Your boys showed a great deal last night and were unlucky not to get the 4 points. Maybe it'll be like last year and North can go on and win the next 8 or so games. All the best for the rest of the season (unless you're playing us ;))

Cite the frees that weren't there and the ones you should have received? Stop blaming the umpires as you were on top of the differentials up this game.

All good teams win under adversary and that's exactly what your team did, we are not arguing that all but some humility in that north were very good but made too many mistakes and Hawthorn capitalised on them is the sign of a quality outfit.

We are not a contender at this stage so a win would have been huge for us but the reality is we weren't good enough.

I think this sums it up.

Although you may want to tell some of your fellow supporters that coming on the Hawk board suggesting Daw was going to rip us a new one was always going to end in tears.

Add me to the list of those who think it was a pretty poor game by our blokes but happy we were able to scratch out a win. Could point the finger at players that were well below there best but it would be a long list. When you're hot you're hot, and when you're not you're not. A few people playing badly makes it harder for others to do their job. Kudos to those who did rise above it; Cyril, Hill, Lake, Osborne and Mitchell and Hodge late in the game.

As to why Bailey was subbed off, I thought he looked really slow just before he was subbed and although hew kicked three goals in the first quarter our clearances were terrible so I thought Clarko probably wanted to change things up a bit there and maybe go a bit smaller, hence taking off one of our big blokes.

I was more bemused at how it came about. The umpire signalled a goal. Then, upon much handwaving, it was reviewed. Then, on inconlcusive video evidence, it was over-turned. Why? Even at the ground they detailed what happened" "only overturned if the evidence was compelling". Or something like that.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, rather just another example of how half-arsed the AFL are.

This is what I don't understand. I was at the game so didn't hear what the third umpire said (and haven't seen a replay yet) but did he actually rule that the video evidence was inconclusive? If so, then the goal umpire's original decision should stand (which was that it was a goal). Or can the field umpire now overrule the goal umpire? o_O I was right behind it and didn't see any evidence that it was touched, was surprised when it went to a review.

I think this sums it up.

Although you may want to tell some of your fellow supporters that coming on the Hawk board suggesting Daw was going to rip us a new one was always going to end in tears.

Phil, it's been a long time since we've had a player to get genuinely excited about and while he is a long way off he does add something our line up. His chase on Burgoyne was an example and while it will take a couple of years for him to really develop, there is cause to get excited about.

Anyone who thought that he would just stroll in against a quality defence like the hawks were probably stirring the pot pre game. The one thing he did do was give Goldy a chop out and allowed him to run out the game. Something that has cost us greatly this year.

All the best for the rest of the year.

Phil, it's been a long time since we've had a player to get genuinely excited about and while he is a long way off he does add something our line up. His chase on Burgoyne was an example and while it will take a couple of years for him to really develop, there is cause to get excited about.

Anyone who thought that he would just stroll in against a quality defence like the hawks were probably stirring the pot pre game. The one thing he did do was give Goldy a chop out and allowed him to run out the game. Something that has cost us greatly this year.

There did seem to be a few north fans who were concerned for us and our ability to contain Majak Daw, which was nice of them.

Thank God that shit game is over.

- Umpires did everything humanly possible to gift Norf the game in the last quarter. Seriously the most biased quarter of umpiring I've seen in some time.
- Midfield got SMASHED and ANNIHILATED, Wells, Swallow & Ziebull had a field day. Why Clarkson decided not to tag Wells in the first half was utterly mystifying.
- Our forward line is rubbish. Franklin, Hale & Roughead all choke in front of goal and cant take contested marks.
- Why is Gunston in the side? He's done nothing all year and another runner would benefit us much more right now. We're playing much too tall.
- Lindsay Thomas is it possible to tackle this little cheating silly without giving away a free? Let's just say if I happened to hear of him getting run over by a truck at some point in the future I won't be sending flowers.
- Brian Lake had a superb debut and BOG. We would have lost that game had Shoenmakers been playing in his place it must be said. Welcome to the club Brian you champ.
- Rucks smashed. Yes I know Goldstein is quality but so what. Many of Roughead's ruck attempts looked laughably ineffective. Bailey 3 goals but otherwise disappointing tapwork.
- Rioli kept us in it. Devastated that he's obviously done a serious hammy. One of the few blokes up forward who can be relied on to kick straight, we will miss him heaps.
- If Franklin wants more than a million a year I hope we tell him to get screwed. Shit, did he even look like a million a year player tonight? Nope, he looked like a spud. Which illicit drug was he recovering from taking on Saturday night anyway?
- Osborne did a few really nice things. I must confess that I wasn't desperate to see him back in the side but tonight his experience and toughness was important.
- Savage did stuff all as the sub as usual.
- Norf can G&GF. Its a shit club with shit supporters and they didn't deserve to win tonight.

-our forward structure is hopeless not the forwards themselves. they are told to play to a structure that doesnt benefit our forwwards at all.
- gunston is hopeless. go back to box hill and dont return until you will play your size. he drops his head in marking contests, scared of physicality and wont tackle or throw his weight around
- rioli was far and away BOG. he was the difference between winning and losing regardless of whether lake stopped a goal or two. you need goals to win... was rioli vs the NMFC
-some people have such short memories, he got niggled all day and was ruffled up, had a bad game (only one or two in 180 odd games is a pretty good return)
- savage is hopeless. gone backwards since he debuted

Fair enough. But they need to contain the circle jerk to their board.

Can understand why you are excited about him but he got torched yesterday against a bloke who has hardly played any senior footy in months - a player that a couple of your troll supporters like Lebowski were bagging pre game.

Before the game North supporters were touching each other in anticipation saying Daw would dominate. Today it's the old "it's only his second game" line because he got smashed. You see where I am going with this.

Before the game North supporters were touching each other in anticipation saying Daw would dominate. Today it's the old "it's only his second game" line because he got smashed. You see where I am going with this.
Err, link? Most of us would have been happy with just a goal or two (which he could of had if he could kick a banana), noone expected him to come out and kick 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would have lost by 4 goals if they kept him in. Is a liability. Lake owned him several times.
Don't know about that ,there is a lot of love for the whole first African to play AFL fairytale thing ATM ,he would've only had to have got a fingertip to the ball in those dying seconds and it would've been paid a mark in front of goal thats of course if the umps hadn't conjured up another bullshit Nth freekick for him first.Would've been Vlad's wet dream.

Can't remember the last time we were so badly annihilated at the centre bounce clearances. We had Mitch, Jordo and Burgers in there at some stages and Swallow, Wells and Co continued to just clear the ball at will. I really hope this was an anomaly and down to the boys just been a "tad off" on the day, rather than a sign of our group of mids slowly starting to wane.

Our Backline and Cyril can be thanked for the win. The back 6, courtesy of the clearance situation were under the pump for the majority of the game, They played a colossal game as a unit. Stratton and Gibbo ability to kill a contest is amazing.. As for Lakey.. what a debut!

Buddy was back to his round 1 "angry Buddy" mode. What was the Stevie J around the corner set shot all about too? 25m out 45-50 degree angle.. don't be cute and just kick it conventionally. The team dropped their heads after that miss too. He really needs to do better. Anyway, pinched the 4 points and keep ourselves up in the top 4 :thumbsu: Will need to improve significantly in Adel!

Err, link? Most of us would have been happy with just a goal or two (which he could of had if he could kick a banana), noone expected him to come out and kick 7.

Errr read through the pre game thread on this board. A few of them were dead set determined we recognise Majak for the amazing footballer he is.

Lengthy post, so thanks to those that take the time to read.

So we need to talk about Gunston... Sick of seeing him potted by posters.

He does look like he's gone backwards this year but looks can be deceiving. He has been told to play a role this year that is completely foreign to him. I think he'll keep getting picked because he's doing his best to learn the role, and I don't think Box Hill would allow the flexibility to play the utility role. That said, it's absolutely killing me to watch.

I loved his work last year as a natural key forward in the making. This year Clarkson and co in their ever baffling attempts to construct a forward structure, have decided to make him into a "utility". I can only hope that the rationale is that we're without Whitecross, Suckling etc at the moment, but for his career's sake I for one would much rather see him kicking 5 at Box Hill for a few weeks (as a farrrrking foward!) than looking like an awkward HBF/Jack of all trades, master of none (mind the pun).

For all his talk of replacing one soldier with another, Clarkson seems more inclined in this instance to mould this solider into something he isn't rather than pick a player who is suited to the position. Perhaps we haven't got someone for the role though? Litherland or is hey not athletic enough?

In essence, it's not his fault that he's running around looking like a headless chook at times. The coaches have a lot to answer for if you ask me. I'd like to have some faith in "the bigger picture" but when this guy looks to be capable of being a champion goal kicker, the current strategy hurts my head.

On the positive though, and to reinforce that looks can be deceiving, he went at 94.4% disposal efficiency yesterday with his 18 disposals. 2nd best for us (behind Birch) in that category.

Other thoughts from yesterday...

Although early days, Osborne's comeback cannot be understated. Thought this bloke was every chance to look like the game had gone past him when he came back, but on current form, will have no troubles maintaining his spot in the side.

Can't wait to get Sewell back. Tipping Lewis to have a rest at some stage in the next few rounds, not looking like his normal fiery self at the moment.

Geez Gunston is copping it. I think he's growing in his new role and his contested mark deep in the last quarter was amazing.

Agreed. I thought Gunston was alright yesterday. Had 18 disposals at nearly 100% efficiency, kicked a goal and had 2 goal assists. In terms of tall forwards, i reckon he was behind Black, equal with Petrie, and ahead of Franklin, Rough, Hale and Daw.

He wasn't our best, but he certainly wasn't our worst either. Considering he was rubbish to start the season, i'd say he is starting to build some nice form. Having Bailey in definitely doesn't help him, as a forward line of Buddy, Rough, Hale, Breust, and Rioli, means that he is not getting as much supply inside fifty. He has to roam the wings, or else he won't get near the thing.

i hate to spoil your erection so late in the evening, but he is from Sudan not Senegal

He's from Sudan but his biceps grew up mostly in Senegal; I understand this has been the subject of a lot of border disputes between them over the years, not to mention the countries caught in between.

Fair dinkum though some people on here are just haters on the Majak. I was at the game and he was an incredibly imposing figure on the ground - statuesque, agile, muscular, strong vertical leap, incredible closing speed, just an awesome player. He mightn't have had a lot of effective disposals, but just him being on the ground clearly intimidated Hawthorn. During the second quarter they even sent Buddy into defence to mark up on Majak. I noticed even Buddy didn't fancy the prospect because he wandered around about 10 meters away checking out Majak's pecs and then thought better of it and disappeared back upfield. I was actually pretty worried about it because Majak didn't seem to have anyone marking him at all by that point, but for some reason nobody at North kicked it to him.

If Buddy does leave, we should get Majak.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-29/rioli-has-scans

"...In a further potential blow to the club's small forward stocks, Luke Breust was reported for striking North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein during the third quarter of the match."

Wtf? - I don't recall him being reported... he had better get off, there was nothing in it, Goldstein just got his big block head in the way of a spoil :/

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-29/rioli-has-scans

"...In a further potential blow to the club's small forward stocks, Luke Breust was reported for striking North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein during the third quarter of the match."

Wtf? - I don't recall him being reported... he had better get off, there was nothing in it, Goldstein just got his big block head in the way of a spoil :/

I wonder who else will be reported, the Dictator must love reading these penalties when the Hawks are involved..:oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks vs Roos - tear it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back