Autopsy Hawks vs Roos - tear it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought North should've got a few more freesl!
Arf!

Four points...horrible, but our working week is tolerable after a win.

Better next week hopefully...

Haven't seen the match yet, but on the radio, commentators gave Thommo 2 votes (3 if North had won) Which is interesting, cause if Buddy had kicked straight, 5 Goals. Not sure how you're rated as being awesome when your man gets that many shots on goal.
I have a feeling that the pressure Thompson put on Buddy today effected his concentration causing him to miss shots he'd normally kick.

Thompson's very good at getting inside his opponent's head.

Wanna talk about the mental side of things for a bit.

This evening's near-loss is what happens when you're just 5% off mentally; I think we were both lucky (we played poorly, the umps) and gutsy (smashed but kept coming after slipping 9 points behind). Been a very tought start to the campaign playing last year's fellow seven finalists in consecutive weeks; without a game against Melbourne or GWS or Gold Coast in between (where, relatively speaking, you can relax mentally and more than likely bank a win) we've had to be 'up' every single week. Look at Geelong this week - looked a bit like they took a slight mental break against the Dogs and it was a lot closer than many expected. Hopefully our win against the Roos is the mental release after 4 weeks of top line footy - we bank the win and move on, mentally refreshed, to our Prelim and GF opponents from last year.

I'm certain we won't see Junior again at least until Carlton in Round 12 - he looked in a fair bit of pain.
Lake was a rock today; look forward to the back 6 gelling over coming months.

I would like to know what has happened to our spread.
It was non-existent tonight.

Doesnt help when your runners like smith are constantly floating in and out of games. He's got a couple of years experience now under his belt, really needs to take his game to another level because right now its not good enough.

I think we've been flat today based on our fixture.
Play Cats round one, travel to Perth play Weagles come back play the pies go tassie play Freo then back play Norf.
Then we go Aaimi next week play Crows then back play Swans.
4-1 is pretty good with our worst performance for the year so far is a 3 point win.
People also forget the Cats only just beat Norf by a point.

I have a feeling that the pressure Thompson put on Buddy today effected his concentration causing him to miss shots he'd normally kick.

Thompson's very good at getting inside his opponent's head.

Could be right. Selwood was at him all day in round 1 and seemed to work.

Wanna talk about the mental side of things for a bit.

This evening's near-loss is what happens when you're just 5% off mentally; I think we were both lucky (we played poorly, the umps) and gutsy (smashed but kept coming after slipping 9 points behind). Been a very tought start to the campaign playing last year's fellow seven finalists in consecutive weeks; without a game against Melbourne or GWS or Gold Coast in between (where, relatively speaking, you can relax mentally and more than likely bank a win) we've had to be 'up' every single week. Look at Geelong this week - looked a bit like they took a slight mental break against the Dogs and it was a lot closer than many expected. Hopefully our win against the Roos is the mental release after 4 weeks of top line footy - we bank the win and move on, mentally refreshed, to our Prelim and GF opponents from last year.

I'm certain we won't see Junior again at least until Carlton in Round 12 - he looked in a fair bit of pain.
Lake was a rock today; look forward to the back 6 gelling over coming months.
Geelong's season has been a series of unimpressive wins, apart from the game against Sydney. That's all you need at this stage, but let's not hold them up as the paragon of performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we all would have taken 4-1 before round 1.. There is always going to be ugly wins..which are always better than an ugly loss.. with some boys down after the toughest first 5 weeks of ANY team ..
Lakes nous and smarts were fantastic.. Right spots right times ..Poppy's 7 possi game does not do justice to his efforts and massive pressure and chases..
Wasn't pretty and calls for buddy to basically commit "seppuku" after 0 goals are just bullshit..
Take the win sitting 4th...

Having doubted if Lake could bring it... wow! Good decisions, good spoils, can't be pushed aside. Beast.

Cyril great.

Awful game otherwise.

Thought North should've got a few more frees.

Sad to see Majak subbed, he's big and muscly and exotic looking. He's from Senegal!

i hate to spoil your erection so late in the evening, but he is from Sudan not Senegal

At the game (for those who were listening or watching to a broadcast) I didn't think we were ever going to lose this one. Kudos to North, their midfield players were terrific, they were more free flowing today and stopped us a bit like Adelaide did in the Prelim last year.
We didn't take many risks and coughed up the pill often.
Also North had a tactic in close to smother our kick time and time again creating a spillage that often they cleared. Not much went right for us whether that's the free kick tally or strange decisions and so on
But look you're not going to win by 50 points every week and North had done their homework. Losing Cyril for at least (I expect) a month is a pain in the proverbial.
Given we were ahead for 95% of the game we deserved to win. I don't agree at all that North should have won, they weren't good enough.
Bring on the Crows.

Good teams win games when they play crap.
That's the only positive I can take from the game.
A few people here are liking big maxs game. Apart from his first 10 minutes and three goals WTF did he do? His job is to win the centre bounce and attempt to get it to a midfielder. He rarely got a tap out and is useless around the ground. (don't let today's 3 goals fool you).
Gotta respect him after his knee recos but it's time to give Grimley or Lowden a go. Don't play him at Box Hill if his knees are not 100% and he can't jump. Let him get right before playing max again!

Good job Lake, time for a rest for poppy, full game for Savage.

After a month of going flat out we were due to be absolutely stuffed, and we're after 10 minutes. Not sure how we won but glad that we did.

Just a game. We played dumb all day, so it was good the bench joined in and stuffed up the interchange. One in, all in.

The only ongoing concern is we are starting to look a tad slow. Plus the next one in will probably be Sewell.

Thought North should've got a few more frees.
Really - they got 29 to our 15 but you, a hawthorn supporter thinks they should have got more !!!!

FFS!!!
Sad to see Majak subbed, he's big and muscly and exotic looking. He's from Senegal!
:rolleyes:

Don't know how we won that. Luckiest win in a while.

North were very good. They don't deserve to be 1-4.

The difference was the composure going forward, 6 marks inside 50 from 63 entries vs hawks 17 from 47. The way we moved the ball inside our forward line made it a lot easier to defend against. Boomer has really been a big loss for us because he is a guy who can kick or setup goals with classy play, like Rioli. He is one guy not very easy to replace.

I hope Rioli is not badly hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks vs Roos - tear it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back