Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I am the last person to rain on this parade, BUT it was reaffirmed to me today the strategy that we are spending really significant time on is to go to the Draft this year with a player like Kemp with 8, Finn with a discounted second round. They think Kemp can become an Anderson. Try and take Lachy as a 2020 FA.
The other reason for this, is we have a potential nice problem for 2020, we have two players from our Academy, Downie (top1-5) and Sanganelli (not sure of the spelling)(currently rated by us where we have Finn this year, ie 15-25)
So GW has to have a strategy to get these two, so trading out collateral for next year not smart.

Also we have to use our first of this year or next in the DRAFT.

It is really fluid

Cogs, Patton and two quality kids like Finn and someone like Kemp will be sensational this year. Lachy and Downie plus in 2020 cream.

Use our later picks and player trades on some structural KP’s and other List gaps, plus FA for a player like Day.

Aggressive re-positioning of the List complete !!

The interesting twist in all the above could still be BHill.

Not that it means anything as the club know best, but I support this plan 110%. Whitfield is a gun. But christ, 2 firsts or a bloke like Gunston or Bruest and a first is only getting you a seat at the table.

Love your input mate, as everyone does. This plan just makes so much sense, and sure it can change as you say. But if most of these things play out as you have mentioned, that is an incredible rebuild, in theory, by the club.

I put my hand up and say I was really torn, and vocal, a month back with where we were headed with our list. I shouldn't have been.

Last edited:
Haha.. still confident but to suggest it’s over the line is comedic.

This remains fact. I can only add. “Cool your jets everyone”.

We are working hard at this, have for a long time and I know I am repetitive, Cogs is our prime target as the broad strategy outlined above is the preference and ideal, but who knows what plays out as there always are speed humps.
We don’t land Cogs then we will change direction and option, it will be disappointing but not devastating to the List Reno. The cost of how we get there is also impacted should Cogs not happen.
Strategy focus obviously remains him, but I am also not getting anything which does suggest we don’t expect to play in this year’s Draft.

Last edited:
Torn between us and Carlton yeah?

From the info I got he is still in the frame to stay at GWS but we all know the longer it goes the more likely he is to leave... I was just told that we will do what is required and the feeling is we are certainly the front runners, he has made it known that Melbourne is likely the place he wants to be for a multitude of reasons but there’s plenty to play out.

Carlton in the mix but I feel like they need to do a fair bit more to get him over the line.. I’m still confident, purely for the Jags factor which, for all things considered probably our biggest draw card. Jags putting in plenty of work, don’t worry about that.

From the info I got he is still in the frame to stay at GWS but we all know the longer it goes the more likely he is to leave... I was just told that we will do what is required and the feeling is we are certainly the front runners, he has made it known that Melbourne is likely the place he wants to be for a multitude of reasons but there’s plenty to play out.

Carlton in the mix but I feel like they need to do a fair bit more to get him over the line.. I’m still confident, purely for the Jags factor which, for all things considered probably our biggest draw card. Jags putting in plenty of work, don’t worry about that.

Yes again consistent with my info. It remains GWS or us.

I know he is as fact. A contact of mine caught up with JOM recently and discussed this very point.

First time that I can’t wait for the off season to come over the season Cogs or No Cogs what I’m reading here and other forums we may have a different looking list make up in 2020.

I know he is as fact. A contact of mine caught up with JOM recently and discussed this very point.

Yeah 100%... both of those boys committed to one day playing together a long time ago apparently, of course circumstances change but I know 100% that a big reason we went hard at Jags was the knock on effect it has with Cogs. If Cogs does leave and comes to us then it’s going to be nothing short of a Masterclass from
GW.

Yeah 100%... both of those boys committed to one day playing together a long time ago apparently, of course circumstances change but I know 100% that a big reason we went hard at Jags was the knock on effect it has with Cogs. If Cogs does leave and comes to us then it’s going to be nothing short of a Masterclass from
GW.
If we get Cogs, we must build a statue of Wrighty in bronze at Dingley.

The majority of this “will he or won’t he” stuff is rubbish, because the players have almost always known exactly what they are going to do when they get this far into a season without re-committing.

If Cogs stays at GWS there’s a more than fair chance that he was always staying but invited interest from others because he wanted more $$/yrs in his contract, and if he leaves he was most likely always leaving but chose to pretend like it was a really difficult decision that ‘he only came to at the end of the season’.

Gaff might be the only one who genuinely queried his decision and then backflipped, but we all know the circumstances there were impacted by his hit on Brayshaw and a flag.

The “he’s still making up his mind, there’s so much to consider” crap that Ablett, Martin, Franklin, Lynch and Dangerfield ran with was ultimately viewed as bullshit, and I firmly believe that Cogs is headed down that path too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I think I'm just late to the party on this and haven't got the memo, but where is the link between us and Whitfield coming from? I assume it's more than the fact he was a Hawthorn supporter as a kid.

The majority of this “will he or won’t he” stuff is rubbish, because the players have almost always known exactly what they are going to do when they get this far into a season without re-committing.

If Cogs stays at GWS there’s a more than fair chance that he was always staying but invited interest from others because he wanted more $$/yrs in his contract, and if he leaves he was most likely always leaving but chose to pretend like it was a really difficult decision that ‘he only came to at the end of the season’.

Gaff might be the only one who genuinely queried his decision and then backflipped, but we all know the circumstances there were impacted by his hit on Brayshaw and a flag.

The “he’s still making up his mind, there’s so much to consider” crap that Ablett, Martin, Franklin, Lynch and Dangerfield ran with was ultimately viewed as bulls**t, and I firmly believe that Cogs is headed down that path too.

North thought they had Martin and he turned left at the last moment I thought.

So I think I'm just late to the party on this and haven't got the memo, but where is the link between us and Whitfield coming from? I assume it's more than the fact he was a Hawthorn supporter as a kid.
We have long wanted him and he, apparently, long desired to come. There are literally rumours every year of the mutual interest. Some posters on here have sources suggesting it could happen this year but more likely next season as a free agent.

The “he’s still making up his mind, there’s so much to consider” crap that Ablett, Martin, Franklin, Lynch and Dangerfield ran with was ultimately viewed as bulls**t, and I firmly believe that Cogs is headed down that path too.

I was thinking just the same thing - this far down the road, so to speak, he'd have a pretty good idea what he's doing; this isn't a decision that's just crept up on him. It's been in the making for years.

I was thinking just the same thing - this far down the road, so to speak, he'd have a pretty good idea what he's doing; this isn't a decision that's just crept up on him. It's been in the making for years.
On that basis, if we don't know he is ours then he probably isn't. I'm just going to wait and see how it pans out ;)

I think a lot of the uncertainty thats played out in the media is because no player has come out before seasons end and said they were going elsewhere unlike in the NRL. I'm undecided if that is a good thing but it sure would cut a lot of the media crap.

I would’ve thought that Clarko would be just as big a draw card for him as what Jaeger would. You’d think the 2 of them together would (or has) eventually made the decision easy for him in the end. Tickety Tock ⏰

Last edited:
I think a lot of the uncertainty thats played out in the media is because no player has come out before seasons end and said they were going elsewhere unlike in the NRL. I'm undecided if that is a good thing but it sure would cut a lot of the media crap.

I’m not sure they are allowed to? Either way I don’t think the AFL or it’s fans are ready for that

I’m all for it, but players will be abused, the footy media will have a major melt, and players may even punished by their club for making their intentions to leave clear at the end of the year. What’s the incentive in that kind of environment?

Still, once someone does it, and the outrage has died off, it will be much easier for the next guys.

You’d think if there is a mid season draft brought in like it’s been rumoured to be next year then players might be more open to announcing their decision before their contract is over. At the moment players keep coy until the end so they can get more $$$ and stay at the club there at. Players also want to get to the club of their choice not the 2nd or 3rd preference. This is obviously why Shiel was so coy up until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back