List Mgmt. Hawthorn 2018 Trade discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think what GW was alluding to was that GWS were going to be able to retain Shiel and make Dodoro pay what he promised to pay originally.

Word is he told Connors he'd pay two first for Shiel which was GWS asking price, once he nominated he back tracked and told GWS first and possibly future second thinking GWS had to accept as they needed the cap dump.

With Setterfield going to the Blues and us taking Scully's full contract off GWS books (with his ankle and the cap dump that is why it was a future 4th) we gave GWS the breathing room to push Essendon on price.

I think he was just quietly letting Dodoro know that he wasn't going to get away with sharking Shiel for nothing

It did seem like a coordinated effort from GW and SOS to make Essendon, Connors and Shiel sweat. After the way the whole thing was handled I can understand why - hopefully this is the moment where Connors goes the way of Pickering and starts losing clients.

Beams, Shiel, Gaff and Lynch all his clients - and all drawn out processes, keeping clubs on the leash for too long.

No he did not. BUT, His team were involved particularly in proposed trades with GWS. (The Shiel proposition was done on the initial premise of their strong interest in Cegs and a salary dump) Some will dispute this, but I genuinely believe he was still on their radar up to 3 weeks ago.
Thanks for these insights, it’s really interesting and highlights the intricacies involved and why GW is so good at what he does.
There’s no point in indulging in the what-ifs, but just to think for a moment, if BB took up the offer and the trade as you described went ahead, and if GWS were happy with a first and Cegs for Shiel..... we could have ended up with Wingard, Scully, AND Shiel?! That would be some offseason.
But then we wouldn’t have any established ruck..
All the permutations, the mind boggles!

Just mentioned on SEN that we may be looking at Mav Weeler as a delisted free agent. Was also some mention last week in the Age that we were looking at Darren Minchington.

Makes sense with the draft picks we have that we may look at a delisted free agent. Both seem like they could be options as a defensive forward.
I'd be happy to get Harry Dear. Our key position forward stocks are probably our weakest link.

It is one hell of midfield they have put together...

Grundy
Pendlebury
Beams
Sidebottom
Treloar
Adams
Philips
Sier
Greenwood / Varcoe / Wells
With De Goey and probably Stephenson rotating through.
I agree the Pies have a formidable midfield group, but then I think of what we have assembled;

McEvoy
Mitchell
Omeara
Wingard
Scully
Smith
Shiels
Worpel
Howe/Henderson/Morrison/Impey

We are not too shabby.

Last edited:
I was expecting a bit more list turnover. Surely we know what shoey / tob / brand / miles / Lovell / wx / langers can produce.

Given our lack of kpp stocks don’t see the harm having a punt on a few DFAs. If we had a bad injury run (eg the pies) it could get very ugly.

I was expecting a bit more list turnover. Surely we know what shoey / tob / brand / miles / Lovell / wx / langers can produce.

Given our lack of kpp stocks don’t see the harm having a punt on a few DFAs. If we had a bad injury run (eg the pies) it could get very ugly.

Expect there are more delistings to come and we will grab someone like Casboult for depth.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any chance the Smiling Assassin & Lil' Dick Santo predicted us to finish bottom 4 purely to generate social media chatter? Its basically free publicity for the show.

It is one hell of midfield they have put together...

Grundy
Pendlebury
Beams
Sidebottom
Treloar
Adams
Philips
Sier
Greenwood / Varcoe / Wells
With De Goey and probably Stephenson rotating through.

They needed to go hard for May in this trade period but that is a deep, quality midfield!

Can't fit them all in the centre square next year :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Translation: there is no science, fact or rational thinking behind our 'predictions', we just really really really badly hope that the Hawks finish bottom 4 next year. Just coz.
Absolutey, they’ve spent the best part of the last few days saying things like ...
“How did Hawthorn pull this off?”
“Wright is a genius”
“Players want to play under Clarko”
“Scully is a steal”

And then....
“Prediction 15th.”

It’s pure hope from the #head****ed.

Absolutey, they’ve spent the best part of the last few days saying things like ...
“Wright is a genius”
“Scully is a steal”

And then....
“Prediction 15th.”

And. There must be an investigation into the Scully deal!!!

“Wright is a genius”
“Scully is a steal”

And then....
“Prediction 15th.”

In Johnno’s defence he’ll keep going with Hawks for bottom 4 until he is proved right

I think Richmond did better than anyone because they've got exactly what they needed and lost nothing but depth on the wrong side of 25, with a decent hand at the table to bring in some young talent.

Depth is only "nothing but depth" until you get a larger than average number of injuries. Richmond's fitness staff have proven very skilled at keeping their players on the park, especially their elite top 4. If they have some bad luck with injuries, trading out 5 depth players will not be offset by bringing in one gun forward. Lynch will also require rejigging a game plan that has been very effective for them up until the prelim, no doubt Lynch makes them better, but remains to be seen if they become more predictable with him as a forward target. A pity we missed him, because I think we were more in need of him structurally than Richmond was.

Was interesting listening to Shiel say “my final choice came down to Essendon or Carlton”

I have no doubt it did, but he claims the decision was made on Tuesday morning, and by that time it would have been clear we couldn't satisfy GWS and still get Wingard done, so I doubt we were still in the available choices once that became apparent.

Given what we needed to give up to get Wingard, if we'd given GWS what Essendon did, then we'd needed to have traded both Burton AND another gun player to convince Port to release Wingard to us. I think the Shiel situation worked out best for both us and Essendon. We already have two elite inside mids, they don't. We've just lost Rioli and will be losing Poppy soon. If Shiel did indeed prefer Essendon over us irrespective of whether we could get the deal done , then we were lucky in terms of getting the player that best suits our needs.

C7A82C88-C73D-4405-9E4A-FD0EB66291A9.png Here’s a list of a few of next years free agents, pretty slim pickings. Astbury and cogs are the two I would want most, but it’ll be hard to pry them from their current clubs

I have no doubt it did, but he claims the decision was made on Tuesday morning, and by that time it would have been clear we couldn't satisfy GWS and still get Wingard done, so I doubt we were still in the available choices once that became apparent.

Given what we needed to give up to get Wingard, if we'd given GWS what Essendon did, then we'd needed to have traded both Burton AND another gun player to convince Port to release Wingard to us. I think the Shiel situation worked out best for both us and Essendon. We already have two elite inside mids, they don't. We've just lost Rioli and will be losing Poppy soon. If Shiel did indeed prefer Essendon over us irrespective of whether we could get the deal done , then we were lucky in terms of getting the player that best suits our needs.
Hawthorn had withdrawn by Tuesday, and Carlton knew this.

They thought they had Shiel in the bag.

We desperately need a big forward man. Should be main priority ahead of Cogs.
I agree, but I don’t think it’s quite as urgent as people might think. Our forward line still has unbelievable scoring power, despite the lack of a dominant gorilla: Rough, the Chad, Gunners, Bruester, still looks very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back