Review Hawthorn defeats Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

There's winning ugly and there's winning hideously. But we did fantastic considering that dismal first half

Was so tense and upset in the second quarter I considered turning it off and choking the chicken or cracking out the Diagnosis Murder DVDs instead, losing to the Blues would have been pure nightmare fuel

I'm just gunning to make the 8, have had to downgrade my expectations just a little

Very good win against mediocre opposition but I'll happily take it. Our fitness at the end of quarters is a real concern I hope they can address.

If JOM keeps his form up and stays healthy I hope he'll be offered the captaincy next year.

349098.gif
I had to do my usual walkout for the last three minutes.

I can't deal.

We still have a lot of problems. Too many passengers, a disconnect between forwards, a depleted midfield and a brittle defence.

But it takes a lot of character to fight back. Blues were playing exceptional football and we could hardly hit a target, but both our leaders and our younger players lifted. It was still far from the Hawthorn of old but we showed a determination to win I don’t think I’ve seen all year.

It wasn’t a fun game to watch, and even though we won I have a headache and likely the beginnings of a heart attack. But it does make me excited to the future - once we get all the pieces of the puzzle in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knee jerk player reviews:
O'Meara - beast of a game. Stood up when nobody else did. Champion. Love this guy. Don't mind the clangers when he's the only one flying the flag.
Shiels - amazing what this guy can do when in an attacking role. So many important moments.
Howe - Good game. Like him in the side.
O'Brien - really pleased. Apart from one centring kick (that Jags could have attacked a bit harder) he played a really solid game. Looked dependable and confident. I'd keep him there ahead of Mirra.
Brand - First quarter to forget, but courage shown to come back on and play through the shoulder injury.
Roughy - seems to have his touch back. Whatever he does in the midfield is very helpful.
Cousins - in and out. Did some nice things.
Wingard - he's warming up. Still well off his best, but seemed to be invovled in every positive bit of play in the third quarter.
Breust - invisible, then dominated. When Breust is on there's nobody like it.
Lewis - good game for someone of his experience. He's got something really good, but he's a way off winning games for us.
Hardwick - seems to have played within limits this year. So dependable.
Scrimshaw - rally good game. I always prefer the guys that stand up when everyone else is off game.
Sicily - obviously nursing some kind of injury, but staedied the ship in the second and is just a gun.
Gunston - obvisouly nursing an injury, struggling to contribute
Smith - obviously nursing an injury, seemed to work his way into the game a bit.
Stratton - shockers in the first quarter, but then did some genuine stratton things and it was so good to see. Need him at his best.
McEvoy - really challenged today, and struggled a bit. Didn't notice any big marks around the ground.
Scully - good early but sheesh - some of his disposal, espcially in the forward line was average.
Hendo - quietest game for the year - did he and Smith swap roles today?
Impey - great marks, some great run. Seemed to capture a bit of belief today.

Do your job and kick straight Gunston

Do your job a lay a tackle when it counts
Some of his efforts today were nothing short of insipid
Put simply if he’s not fit enough to chase, tackle and compete then don’t play him.
Runs on the board doesn’t win games

Take the win, but damn we have some issues to sort out.. and my heart.

That first half was one of the worst I’ve seen in a long long time. Really lucky to get out of jail.

Once again far too many senior players were passengers today, overall effort was unsatisfactory. I hope we learn from this and move on quickly..

I do love JOM. Kid is worth every cent

Well all the brand and tob knockers after the first qtr can calm down, clearly you will see when the presurre was lifted up the ground the defence improved!

Great to get the win gutsy!
Somehow I have more questions than answers after that win!
Not sure where the boys heads were at early. Our forward line continues to look diabolic!
Kudos Jaeger you have carried the team on your back today!! Can't wait for you and Tom to be in form a formidable 1,2!

Well done Howe great job on cripps!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hawthorn defeats Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back