News Hawthorn in the media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t bring Barrett’s sliding doors rubbish here. That’s not the Hawthorn footy club in the media.

That’s a desperate article, trying to get clicks every week.

So if I say a train is "a form of transport", it's completely consistent to also say that a train is not actually a form of transport.

What a ****ing idiot.

On the little I caught big his radio show last night he did say that while Sam thinks we have most of the pieces for our next premiership side in place, he, Cornes, thinks we might only have around ten premiership-ready players in the current squad. He did not list who he thinks they are, or if he did, he did so after I had to turn off. It was a bit of a throw away line from memory.
I'm pretty sure King also said that he can see 10 on 'the means test' this week, from memory.

If Cornes and King can see 10, I see that as quite positive, because I'd certainly expect Sam to see more than them when he has so much more insight into the players at his disposal across the entire list, so it backs up what Sam said at the AGM last year.

Is there reluctance to match a bid on McKay a form of tanking?
that is a very good question that someone should put to him. Someone get Nat to ask him that next Monday

Is there a less desirable trait than someone who can't admit they were wrong?
It’s up there.

The thing is, all these media guys have these occasional putrid takes. If you can cop it and admit you got it wrong, people tend to move on. People are going to be reminding Barrett of this when we’re playing for flags in a few years.

It’s up there.

The thing is, all these media guys have these occasional putrid takes. If you can cop it and admit you got it wrong, people tend to move on. People are going to be reminding Barrett of this when we’re playing for flags in a few years.
You mean something like a type of premiership. 😁Yeah can see it getting a regular run and he is going to hate this club even more as a result when we keep reminding him😀

I'm pretty sure King also said that he can see 10 on 'the means test' this week, from memory.

If Cornes and King can see 10, I see that as quite positive, because I'd certainly expect Sam to see more than them when he has so much more insight into the players at his disposal across the entire list, so it backs up what Sam said at the AGM last year.
They'll just pick a round number, no thought or analysis. Kane started listing names but it feels like he stopped because they were coming easy and it'd be embarrassing to list more than 10.

Even being quite tepid about the Hawks and our future prospects (omitting players other teams might consider as waning, or having a year they won't continue to replicate), it was easy for me to get to 10:

Mids:
Newc
Day
Worpel
Amon
Ward

Forwards:
Lewis
Moore

Defenders:
Sicily
Hardwick
Weddle

It’s up there.

And he will still say "But in that year they won fewer games than the year before (which may yet not be true), they undertook a form of tanking"

And he will still be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he will still say "But in that year they won fewer games than the year before (which may yet not be true), they undertook a form of tanking"

And he will still be wrong.
The bloke is an embarrassment to his profession.

It's time afl.com.au made someone like Edwards or Twomey or Gabelich their 'main' journalist.

Kane continues to write love letters to Sam.

"AFL football is renowned for copycats. Once a coach succeeds in using the 18-man zone, the others follow like sheep.
Mitchell is fearless in bucking the trend with his philosophies. It is one reason he has become the game’s most exciting young coaching prospect.
Mitchell is one of the only coaches who still believes in the tagger. His man is Maginness."

Kane continues to write love letters to Sam.

"AFL football is renowned for copycats. Once a coach succeeds in using the 18-man zone, the others follow like sheep.
Mitchell is fearless in bucking the trend with his philosophies. It is one reason he has become the game’s most exciting young coaching prospect.
Mitchell is one of the only coaches who still believes in the tagger. His man is Maginness."

What the hell does "one of the only coaches" mean Kane?

One of the few, or the only... one of the only makes no sense.

(Loving the fact that Kane has jumped on our bandwagon though.)

They'll just pick a round number, no thought or analysis. Kane started listing names but it feels like he stopped because they were coming easy and it'd be embarrassing to list more than 10.

Even being quite tepid about the Hawks and our future prospects (omitting players other teams might consider as waning, or having a year they won't continue to replicate), it was easy for me to get to 10:

Mids:
Newc
Day
Worpel
Amon
Ward

Forwards:
Lewis
Moore

Defenders:
Sicily
Hardwick
Weddle
Yeah agreed.

Quite easy to get to 15 without really trying, and I think Sam would have an obviously greater understanding of some of the unknown talents too, plus there’s guys like Jiath, Reeves, Nash, etc.

I’m just convincing myself that natural growth and development along with a couple of additions during trade and draft period and finals really should be the aim for 2024.

I must commend Josh Gabelich on being one of the most level headed journalists about and I find him a breath of fresh air!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He has been a breath of fresh air on the AFL website. Very, very good reporter.

Good on Hodge this week for going hard in to bat for Sicily this week.

Hodgie looked shocked with Cornes response to Hodge's criticism about Sicily missing AA last year, which was basically if Sicily was picked you would have to had left out Taylor. Hodge rightfully didn't let it ago and later came back to it and said what should be obvious which is Sicily is elite with AND without the ball, putting him into a league of his own. It seems the media/hack selectors seem to want to create categories that Sicily doesn't fit in in order give an excuse to exclude him. Even in this segment Cornes followed up with "so you are putting him into the Sinclair category"... and Hodge again kept pushing say why pick a player that is good offensively and not defensively, or vice versa when you've got one who is dominant and elite at BOTH, and stop comparing him to players that can only do 1 of these as well as James can. Really I think Sicily should be a lock and first picked out of all of those (supported by him getting the most coaches votes of any defender last year). It is even more stupid that selectors of AA think like this, because Cornes all week has made reference to Pies not paying attention to Sicily because he completely dominated play to an extent he needs to be tagged like Daicos, yet still he didn't seem to catch on to what Hodgie was saying. Annoyingly however when Brad Johnson had Sicily as one of his locks, Cornes still disagreed with him later in the week. Can you imagine him dominating like he is for Essendon or Collingwood right now and media not saying he is 'the best defender going around' like they throw around about Darcy Moore whenever he has a dominant game.

Last edited:
I must commend Josh Gabelich on being one of the most level headed journalists about and I find him a breath of fresh air!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I enjoy his articles. Reminds me of the insightful positive work Emma Quayle used to do.

Also, Mitchell and Hawthorn have made relationships in the media with Gabelich and also Cornes/King... certainly no coincidence they are some of the more positive voices about our coach and direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back