News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

He put Sam Mitchell’s head on the block, and also disrespected our group in such a way that he quite literally said none of them wound amount to anything by stating that it was a 10 year rebuild we had started.

His comments were more inflammatory than any other commentators, tbh.
Was easily the second worst for mine, Purple still takes the cake for using his position as Head Journo for AFL.com.au to run a 12+ month campaign dedicated to getting us hit with a tanking charge and stripping us of draft picks.

Even Purple is a convert, claiming we could go all the way and lauded Mitchell and the stunning turnaround we have seen after round five. He also said we are the best team to watch, or something along those lines. Can't argue with any of it, despite how dirty it makes you feel.

IMO it just goes to show how refreshing the changes Mitchell and co. made have been - exciting brand of football, exciting young players with an infectious attitude, open to the media / media friendly. You can't not like it even if you've been a staunch hater for years.
Can someone realistically be called a convert in the space of 6 months. Yeah I think not and he just hates us and all the success that we've had and will have.

2024 AFL Experts predictions

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 5.45.27 pm.png

Was easily the second worst for mine, Purple still takes the cake for using his position as Head Journo for AFL.com.au to run a 12+ month campaign dedicated to getting us hit with a tanking charge and stripping us of draft picks.

At least that led to Nat Edwards trolling him mercifully and laughing in his face.

Purple and Montagna deserve the shit they cop. Could have owned up to their bad calls earlier, but have doubled down so often, they are well past being able to jump on board gracefully.

Others, like Lloydy and Caro, have publicly declared they got it wrong and saved faced.

At least that led to Nat Edwards trolling him mercifully and laughing in his face.
I'm sure she's done her fair share of fun off air. You'd think that he'd learn a lesson and just stick to breaking AFL news like the weasel that he is but we all know he won't and it will be glorious 😂

Watching the replay

Could Jack Riewoldt refer to Richmond 2017 less?

Surely you have a greater ability to analyze than that
He was the first one to make the call that we were on well before the rest, and when scores were even.

I like his commentary, and feel like he is digging what we're selling.

He put Sam Mitchell’s head on the block, and also disrespected our group in such a way that he quite literally said none of them wound amount to anything by stating that it was a 10 year rebuild we had started.

His comments were more inflammatory than any other commentators, tbh.
More inflammatory than “form of tanking” and the club should be sanctioned by the AFL?

Cornes also said that we had the worst list in the comp 3 years ago.

Not in Joeys wildest dreams does his words have the power to “put Sam Mitchel’s head on the block”. Hyperbole.

Purple and Montagna deserve the shit they cop. Could have owned up to their bad calls earlier, but have doubled down so often, they are well past being able to jump on board gracefully.

Others, like Lloydy and Caro, have publicly declared they got it wrong and saved faced.
When has Montagna doubled down? Specifically. He hasn’t.
Was a one off statement that is proven wrong. Sure, give him shit, remind him of it, but the vitriol is so petty it’s embarrassing.

Was a one off statement that is proven wrong. Sure, give him shit, remind him of it, but the vitriol is so petty it’s embarrassing.
Are you a relative of Leigh's? Because this is getting weird.

He has made multiple anti Hawks comments, not just that one.

Who is he to you? Why do you care what we say about him?

I cant link the audio but Hodgey on SEN sportday gave us a big wrap alongside Kane.

Some great stats he pulled out. From Round 11 Hawks are;

1st in Points Against
2nd in Points For
1st in scoring from Stoppage and Kick in
2nd in scoring from centre clearance and turnover

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Montagna said we were going to take 5, 6, 10 years to rebuild, and Sam wouldn’t be coaching when we returned to finals footy

Barratt said we were tanking by trading out older players aiming to finish bottom and get successive draft picks. He also stated we should lose draft picks for the 2009 - 2019 alleged conduct.

Both have been proven to be completely wrong/silly in taking that stance and/or making those statements, yet neither have acknowledged they got it wrong.

They simply move on and join in with the majority view.

I have no issue with both of them being called out on the above and wish the “boys club” in the mainstream media did so, and ideally elicited a mea culpa.

Most weeks. Never saw him state it’s a ten year rebuild after that initial one.
You'd like to think that he'd never repeat it again but..... Not the smartest cookie out there so can be expected. 10 year re-build!!! What load of crock!! Completely undermining Sam's ability to coach. ****ing w***er.

Likewise the Montagna angst. He made a call. Wasn’t malicious. Was wrong. Who cares? Sure remind him of it in good jest the vitriol is weird.
Mate that was the worst comment in history of football commentating.
It was said in hatred due to his friendship with an ex assistant coach

That comment & Purples form of tanking comment are the 2 worst calls I’ve heard.

Both fcuking stupid comments.

More inflammatory than “form of tanking” and the club should be sanctioned by the AFL?

Cornes also said that we had the worst list in the comp 3 years ago.

Not in Joeys wildest dreams does his words have the power to “put Sam Mitchel’s head on the block”. Hyperbole.
3 years ago we did have the worst list in the league

Doubled down ??
FFS, he has not said 1 thing complimentary until last night on 1st crack

Can someone realistically be called a convert in the space of 6 months. Yeah I think not and he just hates us and all the success that we've had and will have.

2024 AFL Experts predictions

View attachment 2077356

Convert, or whatever you want to call it, he's clearly changed his mind. He's obviously not afraid to say whatever he thinks, whether it's outrageous or not, so I don't believe that he's simply just trying to cover his ass.

Will he address his preseason predictions, or his "form of tanking" comments? I doubt it. But why does that really matter if he's been pretty glowing with praise lately, and is now saying we can win multiple finals? He'd probably just rather forget he said it and move on.

Look, I don't want to defend him. He's a worm and I hate his style of "journalism." But he's clearly changed his opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back