News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

I’m a B Grade hacker on a good day but even I can hit a 9 iron more than 116m. It’s so not very far. What a luxury to train and prepare a gameplan on an oval of unfair dimensions that nobody else gets to access.
No other team really gets access to UTAS, the longest & widest ground

Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon are fun to laugh at, particularly the latter two, but you can't deny they are the 3 biggest clubs in Vic.

That Carlton and Essendon are all still so powerful DESPITE being generally shit, kind of proves it.

Is OK to admit it, the next tier down - hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond - are as well resourced but without the pressure. And they win all the flags.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Okaay Ok GIF by MOODMAN

Some utter garbage

I dont read any of this junk anymore. Just last week they were running with the clean bill of health without factoring our first choice key forward and key back not playing the whole season. As an example of a team recently dealt that blow freo have lost 3 on the trot without Pearce and treacy in the team.

Now, without reading the article a team that finished near the bottom and most experts had finishing last this year have some easier double ups ? FFS, it's just lazy journalism, just like other team supporters who say the decent teams we have beat were in terrible form at the time.

Yep, who have bulldogs beaten in the last 3 months….unless you count a banged up carlton and out of form sydney

Since the end of June the Swans have beaten Norf and had come from behind wins against two teams that can’t make the 8 in Collingwood and *. That pinhead still rates them as the second best team in the comp. The kind of dingy journalism that just spreads like mould spores over at Fox Sports.

No…they really haven’t.

The Shinbeggars have played on Friday, yes. They played the Good Friday game that nobody cares about and isn’t on FTA because nobody cares about it. It’s not a prime time game because it’s not going to get the viewership of the Friday night game on 7. They also played on Friday during gather round but it was at 5PM and on Fox Footy so once again wasn’t a prime time Friday game.

West Coast had a Friday night game a few weeks back because the NRL also had a game on in Perth that night and I’m sure the AFL was playing spoiler. It wasn’t the prime time game on the east coast where all the eyeballs were.

So, no, West Coast and Norf have not had prime time Friday slots this year.
my post was about the previous 5 years

Which you shifted goalposts on by mentioning home games only. Some people’s quest to mope is unrelenting.
Ned, I'm not sure how goal posts were shifted. This is the post which is quite clear to my mind:

Finally we're set to get some marquee slots next year.

Expect a number of Friday night games.

We haven't had a home Friday night game for 5 years.
That's criminal.
As you then pointed out, Eagles and North have had home Friday night games in last 5 years (in addition to Thursdays and Mondays, and the Good Friday games are pretty handy).
Eagles v Pies, 2021 Rd 5
Eagles v Swans, 2022 Rd 5
Eagles v Tigers, 2022 Rd 7
Eagles v Essendon, 2022 Rd 15
Eagles v Suns, 2023 Rd 9

"Quest to mope is unrelenting" is a silly comment.

We've been far from the worst side in the last 5 years, but been hard done by on Friday nights. We look to be rewarded next year.

Ned, I'm not sure how goal posts were shifted. This is the post which is quite clear to my mind:

As you then pointed out, Eagles and North have had home Friday night games in last 5 years (in addition to Thursdays and Mondays, and the Good Friday games are pretty handy).
Eagles v Pies, 2021 Rd 5
Eagles v Swans, 2022 Rd 5
Eagles v Tigers, 2022 Rd 7
Eagles v Essendon, 2022 Rd 15
Eagles v Suns, 2023 Rd 9

"Quest to mope is unrelenting" is a silly comment.

We've been far from the worst side in the last 5 years, but been hard done by on Friday nights. We look to be rewarded next year.

The decrying of 'prime time' slots (i.e. Thursday and Friday nights) is all about the TV viewership. Who cares if a prime time slot is a home game or an away game. It doesn't matter. The point of getting those slots is that they come with more eyeballs and help in drumming up sponsorship dollars. The fact that they aren't a 'home' game won't impact that in the slightest.

The Eagles games you mention above - in 2020 the Eagles finished 5th and in 2021 they finished 9th. So it's not completely crazy they picked up some Friday night games. The 2023 game was once again not the FTA game, that would have been Geelong v Richmond so it's fairly irrelevant.

Good Friday games are also not worth having a whine about. Norf petitioned for this to be their slot for years because I am sure not many other clubs could give a ****. Even Channel 7 don't broadcast it any more - that game is consigned to Fox Footy because it's not a marquee event. So, no, they aren't pretty handy they are a waste of time. I would much rather have the Easter Monday fixture.

So, yes, you have shifted the goalposts. As I have mentioned - the hand-wringing over Thursday/Friday night football is all about who is getting the FTA viewership. Being that even during the premiership years we didn't have a large amount of home games on Friday nights I wouldn't be at all shocked if the club has a preference to play home games during the day on weekends because our crowds tend to be stronger then than night games. They're definitely more family friendly.

And quest to have a mope isn't a silly comment. Our rebuild is flourishing - we have exciting young players across the park, we are on the verge of making finals and people still are getting hung up on 'oh but Norf got to play on a Friday at 5 PM once - frowny face!'.

And between 2019-2023 we have absolutely been one of the worst sides to watch in the league - especially when Clarko was in his fading years as coach. Do you really think neutrals were racing to their remotes to watch Clarko's moribund tactics, top-up players and handful of late wins each year? 2022-23 had green shoots but they came among some painful floggings and many games where we were never in the fight. So, we weren't the worst side over 2019-2023 but we were absolutely one of them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the end of June the Swans have beaten Norf and had come from behind wins against two teams that can’t make the 8 in Collingwood and *. That pinhead still rates them as the second best team in the comp. The kind of dingy journalism that just spreads like mould spores over at Fox Sports.
Although I reckon they have been in a giant training block and we will see a better swans outfit for finals, it’s almost like the game has changed mid season to now.

Fast moving, high energy forward half pressure with manic defence and accurate kicking and handball is in - bit more layers to that but swans football was the methodical slow moving style that suited teams last year, funny how quickly the game can change. To be fair not sure why teams moved so heavily away from high scoring targets but maybe that was systematic in terms how poor the talent base of each side was last year.

The decrying of 'prime time' slots (i.e. Thursday and Friday nights) is all about the TV viewership. Who cares if a prime time slot is a home game or an away game. It doesn't matter. The point of getting those slots is that they come with more eyeballs and help in drumming up sponsorship dollars. The fact that they aren't a 'home' game won't impact that in the slightest.

The Eagles games you mention above - in 2020 the Eagles finished 5th and in 2021 they finished 9th. So it's not completely crazy they picked up some Friday night games. The 2023 game was once again not the FTA game, that would have been Geelong v Richmond so it's fairly irrelevant.

Good Friday games are also not worth having a whine about. Norf petitioned for this to be their slot for years because I am sure not many other clubs could give a ****. Even Channel 7 don't broadcast it any more - that game is consigned to Fox Footy because it's not a marquee event. So, no, they aren't pretty handy they are a waste of time. I would much rather have the Easter Monday fixture.

So, yes, you have shifted the goalposts. As I have mentioned - the hand-wringing over Thursday/Friday night football is all about who is getting the FTA viewership. Being that even during the premiership years we didn't have a large amount of home games on Friday nights I wouldn't be at all shocked if the club has a preference to play home games during the day on weekends because our crowds tend to be stronger then than night games. They're definitely more family friendly.

And quest to have a mope isn't a silly comment. Our rebuild is flourishing - we have exciting young players across the park, we are on the verge of making finals and people still are getting hung up on 'oh but Norf got to play on a Friday at 5 PM once - frowny face!'.

And between 2019-2023 we have absolutely been one of the worst sides to watch in the league - especially when Clarko was in his fading years as coach. Do you really think neutrals were racing to their remotes to watch Clarko's moribund tactics, top-up players and handful of late wins each year? 2022-23 had green shoots but they came among some painful floggings and many games where we were never in the fight. So, we weren't the worst side over 2019-2023 but we were absolutely one of them.
I find this an interesting few posts.

I say we haven't had any Friday night home games in the last 5 years - you confirm that's correct
I say the Eagles and North have - you confirm that's correct
I say we should get more marquee slots next year as we're playing a better brand - you post paragraphs on the Eagles getting them in the past because they won a flag and we've been poor to watch recently.

Ned - you're a valuable poster, but you spend too much time complaining about other posters or trying to one up.

I'll just repost what I originally said (which was reported also)
Finally we're set to get some marquee slots next year.

Expect a number of Friday night games.

We haven't had a home Friday night game for 5 years.
That's criminal.

I find this an interesting few posts.

I say we haven't had any Friday night home games in the last 5 years - you confirm that's correct
I say the Eagles and North have - you confirm that's correct
I say we should get more marquee slots next year as we're playing a better brand - you post paragraphs on the Eagles getting them in the past because they won a flag and we've been poor to watch recently.

Ned - you're a valuable poster, but you spend too much time complaining about other posters or trying to one up.

I'll just repost what I originally said (which was reported also)

Why does it matter if a Friday night game is a home fixture or an away fixture? If it's a marquee timeslot it's a marquee timeslot no matter where it was played.

The Eagles haven't been historically bad over the past 5 years up to 2023. We had been fairly bad in that time. It's a moot point - once their form dived so did their prime time slots.

North Melbourne home games on a Thursday or Friday night:

2024: 0
2023: 0
2022: 0
2021: 0
2020: 0
2019: 1 (2018 ladder position - 9th).

So in this 5 year timeframe you are talking, West Coast have had a couple of prime time home games off the back of years when they weren't historically bad. Norf have had no prime tame games at home.

So - I have not confirmed any of your points as being correct, no.

I think you're a valuable poster also - but I will continue to have this argument with anyone who brings it up as I have in the past.

Last edited:
Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon are fun to laugh at, particularly the latter two, but you can't deny they are the 3 biggest clubs in Vic.

That Carlton and Essendon are all still so powerful DESPITE being generally shit, kind of proves it.

Is OK to admit it, the next tier down - hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond - are as well resourced but without the pressure. And they win all the flags.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
I don't think Richmond are a teir down from those 3. They are right up there with them and probably only second to Collingwood. When they are up and going are a powerhouse. I'd say in Vic it's Collingwood > Richmond/Essendon > Carlton/Hawthorn > Geelong ........Melbourne.......> WB > Stkilda > North.

Why does it matter if a Friday night game is a home fixture or an away fixture? If it's a marquee timeslot it's a marquee timeslot no matter where it was played.

The Eagles haven't been historically bad over the past 5 years up to 2023. We had been fairly bad in that time. It's a moot point - once their form dived so did their prime time slots.

North Melbourne home games on a Thursday or Friday night:

2024: 0
2023: 0
2022: 0
2021: 0
2020: 0
2019: 1 (2018 ladder position - 9th).

So in this 5 year timeframe you are talking, West Coast have had a couple of prime time home games off the back of years when they weren't historically bad. Norf have had no prime tame games at home.

So - I have not confirmed any of your points as being correct, no.

I think you're a valuable poster also - but I will continue to have this argument with anyone who brings it up as I have in the past.
Looks like i've only got facts there.

It was something the AFL was doing every year until recently, that EVERY club got a Friday night game every season, regardless of how bad they've been.

Home or away, we've been short changed on Friday night games in the last few years. Just because we've been losing, doesn't mean we've been bad to watch. Sam's teams in the last 3 years have been, at worst, a decent watch.

Even after our rise this year and the planning for Rounds 15+, we still got no love. Even Kane agrees we've been shafted with the fixture. The President is also very keen to get this addressed.

Looks like i've only got facts there.

It was something the AFL was doing every year until recently, that EVERY club got a Friday night game every season, regardless of how bad they've been.

Home or away, we've been short changed on Friday night games in the last few years. Just because we've been losing, doesn't mean we've been bad to watch. Sam's teams in the last 3 years have been, at worst, a decent watch.

Even after our rise this year and the planning for Rounds 15+, we still got no love. Even Kane agrees we've been shafted with the fixture. The President is also very keen to get this addressed.

Equal distribution of marquee slots would be a good approach, I can get on board with that - sure higher rating sides will get a few more but with roughly 30 or so Thrusday/Friday slots every single side getting at least one would provide more equity into the equation as opposed to the usual AFL secret formulas.

I dont read any of this junk anymore. Just last week they were running with the clean bill of health without factoring our first choice key forward and key back not playing the whole season. As an example of a team recently dealt that blow freo have lost 3 on the trot without Pearce and treacy in the team.

Now, without reading the article a team that finished near the bottom and most experts had finishing last this year have some easier double ups ? FFS, it's just lazy journalism, just like other team supporters who say the decent teams we have beat were in terrible form at the time.
They need to apply that same logic onto Geelong and Sydney for their early wins against us then. Bottom line is we've been uncompetitive in 5 games this year. Melbourne, Geelong, Gold Coast, Sydney, Geelong. Melbourne and Gold Coast are not in the finals so that leaves 2 top 8 sides that have confidence against us. Sure GWS and port beat us, but by 1 and 2 points in games we mostly controlled. You could play that port game again 100 times and they aren't getting that lucky to kick 2 goals in 40 seconds again.

Then you factor in GF is at the G, finals against Carlton, WB and Geelong would be at the G we are as well placed as any.

How would Sydney feel coming up against Port in a final?

Geelong, Sydney or GWS i'm fingers crossed, hoping we can play better and get the win. The other 4 i'm expecting to beat easy.

They need to apply that same logic onto Geelong and Sydney for their early wins against us then. Bottom line is we've been uncompetitive in 5 games this year. Melbourne, Geelong, Gold Coast, Sydney, Geelong. Melbourne and Gold Coast are not in the finals so that leaves 2 top 8 sides that have confidence against us. Sure GWS and port beat us, but by 1 and 2 points in games we mostly controlled. You could play that port game again 100 times and they aren't getting that lucky to kick 2 goals in 40 seconds again.

Then you factor in GF is at the G, finals against Carlton, WB and Geelong would be at the G we are as well placed as any.

How would Sydney feel coming up against Port in a final?

Geelong, Sydney or GWS i'm fingers crossed, hoping we can play better and get the win. The other 4 i'm expecting to beat easy.
Wouldn't have called us uncompetitive in the 1st Geelong game, we had bad periods but it was still only 20 points half way through the last quarter. They also kicked 17.4

I don't think Richmond are a teir down from those 3. They are right up there with them and probably only second to Collingwood. When they are up and going are a powerhouse. I'd say in Vic it's Collingwood > Richmond/Essendon > Carlton/Hawthorn > Geelong ........Melbourne.......> WB > Stkilda > North.

That's fair but Im not really referring to crowd sizes. I'm referring to powerful coterie members, influence within the afl media and tradition.

The absolute giddiness within the afl world when those three are flying is like no other. Richmond don't get that. Nor do hawthorn or Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back