Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw that Box Hill game Anderson played, and he really stood out. Defensive pressure, ball winning ability, and just seem to attract the footy. Like a shorter, Newcombe, and who can also play forward pressure role. The fact he can come into VFL seniors first up and have an impact like that makes him pretty appealing. Hope he's in our NGA.

Last edited:
Again, the AFL secrecy over NGAs rears it's head. As I think I have said before, the secret formula of Coca-Cola could not be held any tighter. Unlike the Compensation formula, how can the NGA list be gamed?

Some interesting comments on a potential Next Gen selection -

HAWTHORN-LINKED BEAST IS ALMOST BACK

The midfielder who has become known as ‘The Beast from the East’ is closing in on a surprise return to the field.

Eastern Ranges onballer Cody Anderson has made good progress in his recovery from a Syndesmosis injury and is eyeing a final-round return against the Northern Knights on August 24.

A member of Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy, Anderson has been sidelined with the injury since briefly featuring in Vic Metro’s third match of the under-18 national championships against South Australia on June 30.

He has been working with both the Hawks and the Ranges through the rehabilitation process.

A contested-ball and clearance king, Anderson logged 16 disposals (nine contested possessions), four clearances and two goals in his VFL debut for the Box Hill Hawks in early June.

He is one of 65 players who have been invited to October’s national draft combine.

Cody Anderson is on the way back. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Blair Jackson

Cody Anderson is on the way back. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Blair Jackson
Didn’t know he was Hawthorn NGA, il add him in

Had no idea he was in our academy but that's exciting if he is. I have him at 21 in my rankings, really loved his VFL game and he's been impressive all year for Eastern. He has an attack on the ball that you can't teach and is a beast for his age. He's not a great ball user but I think he has a lot of potential as a contested beast midfielder if we can sharpen it up.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cody Anderson's preseason testing as per Souup

181.1cm, 86.4kg
Vertical (both feet): 67cm
Vertical L: 79cm
Vertical R: 69cm
5m: 1.042
10m: 1.704
20m: 2.885
Agility: 8.951
Yo-yo: 640

Certainly not slow, and with hands as clean as his he could end up a real pick up. Just needs to iron out his disposal, but a couple months with Sammy should sort him out. Absolute defensive weapon though, just the sort of player we need in 2-3 years to come into our prime.

Can someone please confirm if Cody Anderson is indeed in our NGA?

About to crack open a bottle if so.

Young gun will end up better than most of the 180’s in the top 10.

Can someone please confirm if Cody Anderson is indeed in our NGA?

About to crack open a bottle if so.

Young gun will end up better than most of the 180’s in the top 10.
yes, he is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cody Anderson seems like an interesting prospect. My only concern is that some kids that are well developed “beasts” at under age level are closer to their ceiling than the skinny kids with good skills.
I have never seen Cody and have no idea of his potential so I will defer to Sleepy and his team as they have an excellent track record.

Cody Anderson seems like an interesting prospect. My only concern is that some kids that are well developed “beasts” at under age level are closer to their ceiling than the skinny kids with good skills.
I have never seen Cody and have no idea of his potential so I will defer to Sleepy and his team as they have an excellent track record.
This train of thought is why Daniel Rich slid in his draft year. I think he went alright!

Cody Anderson's preseason testing as per Souup

Certainly not slow, and with hands as clean as his he could end up a real pick up. Just needs to iron out his disposal, but a couple months with Sammy should sort him out. Absolute defensive weapon though, just the sort of player we need in 2-3 years to come into our prime.
Good combine numbers, quicker than I thought, he does good work in centre clearances, kicking can be a bit erratic, but if he has a good interview/psyche test/character review could be worth a shot as a later pick?

Good combine numbers, quicker than I thought, he does good work in centre clearances, kicking can be a bit erratic, but if he has a good interview/psyche test/character review could be worth a shot as a later pick?

As if he wasn't already reminding me of James Worpel!

Hopefully ends up a similar steal.

Had no idea he was in our academy but that's exciting if he is. I have him at 21 in my rankings, really loved his VFL game and he's been impressive all year for Eastern. He has an attack on the ball that you can't teach and is a beast for his age. He's not a great ball user but I think he has a lot of potential as a contested beast midfielder if we can sharpen it up.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree with the Worpel vibes.

Cody has trained with us in preseason, so we definitely know what he offers. He is certainly rough around the edges but knows how to get the ball. Needs some refinement for sure but has lots of gifts we could cultivate.

Could say the same thing about Newcombe we he came along.

Fan-flipping-tastic. Don’t want to get too ahead of myself. I’ll fully believe it when Twomey confirms it.

Anderson will be the fleece of the Trade Period. All the attention on Kako (extremely overrated and mediocre) when we’re getting away with the far superior talent.

So so explosive for his size. Don’t see Ollie Wines and players like him move like Anderson.

What a time to be alive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back