Hawthorn - overwhelming favourites week one finals v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

wmvaux;22089891[B said:
]I think Hawthorn will finish 2nd and Geelong 3rd,[/B] the question is are Geelong staging in to the finals, look like a team gone for the season, only to jump out of the blocks and get a jump on the Hawks??? Time will tell if they are staging or have really dropped off.

Hawthorn will have the better form going in to the game, but they need to break away from Geelong which they have failed to do on many recent occasions.

I expect it to be a close game, as Hawthorn don't put good teams away... Hawks by 10 points.

Collingwood would have to smash Geelong this week for that to happen.
Sure enough the Hawks could grab some percentage from GC but I just can't see the Pies beating Geelong by some fanciful margin if indeed they win.

I honestly hope we get rolled by the Hawks week one. That way we avoid the week off that has always left us flat for the prelim, we will flog the pies and get the ultimate revenge on Grand Final day.

Collingwood would have to smash Geelong this week for that to happen.
Sure enough the Hawks could grab some percentage from GC but I just can't see the Pies beating Geelong by some fanciful margin if indeed they win.

The Hawks have to win by about 60 and Geelong to lose by 30 for the Hawks to take 2nd place.

Which is possible, but it doesn't matter.

Teams match up better on certain players? I hope you're part of the Hawks brains trust or something, because that's one of the funniest things i've read.

Yes teams. When you are talking about great players like Franklin, Judd, Swann etc half the opposition backline/midfield rotates on them. Do you watch football?

I honestly hope we get rolled by the Hawks week one. That way we avoid the week off that has always left us flat for the prelim, we will flog the pies and get the ultimate revenge on Grand Final day.

I'm stunned reading this, last year and finals history shows why.

I have little doubt that the winner of this game will play off in the GF

I'm stunned reading this, last year and finals history shows why.

I have little doubt that the winner of this game will play off in the GF

I'm with you. For the same reasons......and....I would never ever want to be rolled by the Hawks. In fact..I never want to be rolled by any other team.

Its strange to hope your team gets rolled by a what has become a traditional rival.

Cant imagine a Pie/Blue supporter saying such a thing. We beat the Hawks we are straight into a Prelim...its the way to go!

Hawks form last month better than Geelong's

Hawks would enter the game as favourites.

Hope Cats can draw on something against all odds and beat the powerful hawks

No point trying to cast voodoo underdog spells, mate...it's been proven since 2008 through 6 straight wins by a kick each that Karma barracks for the Cats...

i) Chris Scott is hardly going to give any hints to the opposition;
Where did he say anything about CS?

ii) Clarkson knows more about Hawks being troubled by Geelong players than Chris Scott knows about troubling Hawthorn with Geelong players.
That doesn't mean anything. Teams change every year (read: Hawthorn 2009). I am going to just put this out here, but if a first-year coach, coaching his 7th game ever, can beat...let alone come close to the best team and coach in the competition, it's hard to make ordinary assumptions about him.

iii) Stevie J's record against Hawthorn is undeniably ordinary. He does most of his good work at Kardinia Park, and his Norm was won in a junk time grand final.
Did you watch the 08 GF? Arguably one of the best on ground. 34 touches is actually not very undeniably ordinary. And it was a big game, in a losing side.

Hope none of that hurt your feelings too.

Huh:rolleyes: If Stevie J was on your side and almost regularly getting freak shots as well as being a great team player, you wouldn't have the hate you do for him. Bias is one thing, but honestly? Listing reasons as to why he shouldn't be rated? Bay quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did he say anything about CS?

That doesn't mean anything. Teams change every year (read: Hawthorn 2009). I am going to just put this out here, but if a first-year coach, coaching his 7th game ever, can beat...let alone come close to the best team and coach in the competition, it's hard to make ordinary assumptions about him.

Did you watch the 08 GF? Arguably one of the best on ground. 34 touches is actually not very undeniably ordinary. And it was a big game, in a losing side.

Huh:rolleyes: If Stevie J was on your side and almost regularly getting freak shots as well as being a great team player, you wouldn't have the hate you do for him. Bias is one thing, but honestly? Listing reasons as to why he shouldn't be rated? Bay quality.

Perhaps you should mail this post to yesterday when it was being discussed. The only new thing for me to comment on is your suggestion SJ had a good 08 GF, based on his 34 possessions. Those were 34 of the most ineffectual possessions you'll ever see: all quantity, no quality. There's a reason he failed to poll a Norm Smith vote.

I agree with the blowing a gasket. Our fans seem to think the 2011 flag is fait accompli.

I don't see anything of the sort: just a lot of optimism after a few months of very good form, with the most exciting bunch of players in the comp ready to shake things up.

I've yet to see any posters who think we have the flag in the bag. It seems your negativity spans every board you post on.

Lol...

Can assure you that Hawks fans have watched the 2008 GF a LOT and will confirm that StevieJ was near enough useless that day. Seriously.

Which is not to say he's not a bloody dangerous player. He us. He cut us apart more with three possessions last quarter of last game we played than any of his useless 2008 GF possessions

What?

Can assure you that Hawks fans have watched the 2008 GF a LOT and will confirm that StevieJ was near enough useless that day. Seriously.
It was a rhetorical question. Obviously you watched it, but you don't pull 34 touches out of your rear. He was one of our best players on the day. This was made in reply to Bayer who put it simply that he isn't a big game player, giving recent GF examples INCLUDING his Norm. It's stupid how people say that he isn't good against good opposition. The Hawks were good opposition, and even if it was useless, you don't just go and get 30 odd touches if you're not a big game player. You'd expect 20 max.

Which is not to say he's not a bloody dangerous player. He us. He cut us apart more with three possessions last quarter of last game we played than any of his
useless 2008 GF possessions
Tell your friend Bayer that. Trying to convince us Stevie J is useless come finals and is overrated. Yeah he kicks goals on his back and from freak angles and shots because he isn't a good player.

Perhaps you should mail this post to yesterday when it was being discussed. The only new thing for me to comment on is your suggestion SJ had a good 08 GF, based on his 34 possessions. Those were 34 of the most ineffectual possessions you'll ever see: all quantity, no quality. There's a reason he failed to poll a Norm Smith vote.

Because there were better players on the day. Duh. I'm not wondering why we lost.

But you put it plainly he didn't deserve his '07 Norm Smith, and that he wasn't a big game player. You don't get 34 touches under any circumstances if you're not a big game player. That's not to say he is one, but when he delivers, he delivers. If not, we have backups.

I would have rathered 12 touches and 2 goals than 30 touches kickchasing Buddy style.
I wouldn't. He wasn't great, but one of our best for the day, hence, one reason we lost: lack of players playing to the best of their abilities. That's saying more about our team on the day than Johnno, really.

I never said it was a good game for him, but he was better than a lot of our players. 2nd most I50s for the game and most marks for our side. Contributed a goal too.

If not the '08 GF, then there's the PFs he stepped up in. He steps up for the big games too, is what I'm trying to tell Bayer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn - overwhelming favourites week one finals v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back