Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Port without its starting half back line pretty much shut down our starting half forward line. That's the game there imo. Gotta give them credit for that - I didn't expect that. Thought they'd beat us around the ball and that they'd struggle to score but we'd be able to exploit that part of the game. For a moment in the third it looked like it was gonna happen but it didn't.
It may have actually helped them clamp our forwards .
Houston and Farrel normally rebound for them and are aggressive defenders, without them they went more defensive.
Worked last night for them .

Hawthorn had it coming.

What does this jealousy statement even mean. The fact I have heard the media pushing it makes it even funnier.

Celebrating your own success is now an issue.
So much salt.

We're back big time - and they can feel it coming.

Shit scared and jealous

It may have actually helped them clamp our forwards .
Houston and Farrel normally rebound for them and are aggressive defenders, without them they went more defensive.
Worked last night for them .

Maybe. Will never know.

Hi Hawkers...terrific game of footy last night... I was on the Hawk Train...it was a great run of victories.
Unfortunately, last night, your Club was not able to claim the chocolates.
Best game of footy I have seen for the year...tight hard physical contest, skilful, lots of gut running-your players are super fit, and play for each other. It's what I remember AFL footy being...the greatest game around.
Hopefully next year brings your Club even further success.
4138.gif

Our inability to break tackles and stick our own in the first half was the difference.

In general play I thought we outplayed Port marginally. Won three quarters to the one.

Hard to win finals football with a goalless quarter though. Can't afford slow starts in those high pressure games. Scoreboard pressure is real.

For all those blaming Ginnivan for the lass, I hope next season after the game before Port Adelaide, he tweets, "We've got the bye next week. Well earned rest. Who's up for some fun?"

If people think Ginni won’t double down if we pinch one against port next year, think again hahahaha.

Tbh I don’t even mind it from Hinkley, it’s all theatre but he looks like a buffoon doing it. All the reaction from it, Sicily firing up, Sam in the presser, it’s good to be alive in September and giving a **** about things like this again.

Flat that it’s over but it was an amazing year, if you told me we’d be getting talked about as a flag chance (I think we came into $6 last week) at round 5 after the GC game then I would have pissed myself laughing. Port brought the heat last night and were very good in the contest, if they can sustain that over another 2 games honestly fair play to them.

See you all next year

A couple of thoughts:

Strange lack of love for Blake Hardwick this morning. I thought he pretty much singlehandedly kept the score down in the first quarter, and his battle with Rioli was excellent. Ferocious competitor.

Port won fair and square but I was a bit surprised Sam didn't sic Finn on JHF to try to curb his impact. Had a great game did JHF

I think people would have looked more kindly on Hinkleys spray if it wasn't at the moment an absolute champion of the game was being chaired off. Classless by Ken.

Every single one of our guys will learn something about themselves, finals, and what they must do to take the next step.

Could not be prouder to be a 20 yr member of this great club.

We go again.
We’ll be back up the top next year while smug Kenny will be at home on the couch sacked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the end Day and Frost getting injured cost us. Either Sydney, Geelong or GWS will win the flag with barely an injury between them. Need a bit of luck to win a final series. A goal on the siren, a ricochet of a players head and some posters don’t help either! Almost winning a game well below our best is a great sign especially without significant personnel. If we have everyone available for selection late next year no one will get near us at the G’. That last 18 weeks was fun to watch!!!

Hawthorn had it coming.

What does this jealousy statement even mean. The fact I have heard the media pushing it makes it even funnier.

Celebrating your own success is now an issue.
I gave up worrying about what the media thinks of Hawthorn many years ago. Their opinions are irrelevant.

Bloody hope so.

But as Sam said, improvement isn't linear, and weird things can happen that ruin your season.

I remember after 2008, I thought we'd win the next three premierships, but we didn't make the finals the next year.

Our whole backline was injured and missing in 2009, do you expect us to have a disastrous amount of injuries?

We won a contest at chb and Hardwick , correctly went to switch and open play .....we had runners on that wing so were away with good possession.
His kick unfortunately hit Georgiadis in the head , rebounded backwards straight to 2 Port players waiting back . Goal .

It was a real killer as we had started to build momentum and I felt like we were starting to get on top in general play .

Luck wasn't with us on that occasion.
I think it was the correct kick but I'm sure the port player at the last moment changed direction as Hardwick was about to kick the ball. Unlucky but it wasn't to be

Our whole backline was injured and missing in 2009, do you expect us to have a disastrous amount of injuries?

That's a reductive way to frame what I said. But I'll put my Ross Lyon pants on and go with it.

Am I expecting us to have a disastrous amount of injuries next year? No, and knocking on all the wood that it doesn't.

Could that happen as it has for us and many other teams in the past? Yes, it could.

We are a much better team than them generally but if we don’t bring that level of play in the game we can be beaten.
They finished 2nd on the ladder & beat us twice this year. Make it make sense

That's a reductive way to frame what I said. But I'll put my Ross Lyon pants on and go with it.

Am I expecting us to have a disastrous amount of injuries next year? No, and knocking on all the wood that it doesn't.

Could that happen as it has for us and many other teams in the past? Yes, it could.

I'm just saying 2009 we started the year with a disastrous amount of players out of the side, even then we nearly made finals.

Everyone was calling us chockers and Bradbury after 2009, even after making finals every year, prelims and Grand Finals.

I don't expect us to do a Fremantle or Adelaide, because this team has enormous confidence, only lost 4 games since 28th of April, and three of those losses by 3 points or less.

We didn't cope with their pressure. That's all it was. You have to give them credit, the dialed up their pressure to huge levels, compared to last week.

They didn't allow us to play our way. Not many teams have been able to do that since rd 5.
Spot on, we 2nd guessed ourselves most of the night Weddle in particular but he was not the only one.

Coupled that with the untimely injury to Frosty and of course missing Will Days class and composure, did not help.

A huge kick in the guts but also a huge learning curve for our young team

Good luck to the selectors next year when we have Lewis, Day, Frenchy, CJ, Frosty, Barrass and Battle to come into the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back