Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Hawks! Shame we couldn't get the chocolates! Great season and building to something great!

And how good was Mitchell post game defending the club.
"I can only speak on my club’s behalf and think about how my club, the Hawthorn Football Club, dealt with the post-game. We had a very young player who had some really aggressive words said to him by a much older man, who has been in the game for a long time. The captain of my club stood up for him"

And Hinkley chose to apologise through the press conference. Think that says plenty about him.
He sounded like my 5 year old who would refuse to utter the correct words and just vomit word salad and beat around the bush

Was a shocking umpiring call.

How about the 40m grubber kick into an open pocket by the Port player, which was deemed a throw-in?

I haven't seen one so egregious in years. It was the moment you knew a few of the umps were shitting their dacks.

Last edited:
What was the falcon that happened which cost us a goal? I can’t believe I missed it or don’t remember.

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light for me on this.
Hardwick went for a switch kick and kicked it straight into the back of a port player's head and it ricocheted straight to 3 Port players running into an open goal to put them up by 11 in the third quarter.

Last edited:

Last night is probably a good way to end the year. Better than a big loss to Sydney.
It lets us know we have work to do, but waking away ultra positive with our heads held high. The group hug in the rooms after was magnificent.
End of the day we lost to Geelong twice (comfortably), Port twice, Sydney once and Giants got us the last time. It was a great fun year but 6th is about the finish we deserved. Just a bit below those very experienced sides.

We will finish top 4 next season

Bloody hope so.

But as Sam said, improvement isn't linear, and weird things can happen that ruin your season.

I remember after 2008, I thought we'd win the next three premierships, but we didn't make the finals the next year.

Last edited:
Guys you can't tell me you aren't annoyed at jack after that. When his snap fell short, reminded me off his snap in the GF. That part of him thats too big for his boots, it can piss you off. I am a free spirit and loved lots of it but in the GF last year when he snapped when I believe steele was telling him to drop punt it I thought as good as you are your ego could cost us this.

He left your club and you went from winning the flag to not making finals. He joined our team and we went from 16th to playing finals. Just saying.

What was the falcon that happened which cost us a goal? I can’t believe I missed it or don’t remember.

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light for me on this.
Blake Hardwick had taken a strong mark, kicked to a free Hawthorn player in the corridor, but a Port player looking the other way, not even facing Hardwick, was struck in the back of the head by the kick. It bounced off the head and resulted in a goal. Probably went down as a smother.

Those at the ground that abused, jeered… mocked Cholly… you should be ashamed.
There has to be a racial element to it.. as I did not hear players unsighted cop the disgraceful sprays I heard for 4qtrs about one of our own.

Bought in to play alongside Lewis as a second tall… stepped up and carried the bulk of the key forward work all year.

Forget about what Ken said for one minute and consider the way our own supporters treated a great contributor to our 2024 season. There’s nothing “family” about that at all. Goes against everything this great club stands for.
I liked this post because I agree but I also want to add that I think the vast majority of Hawks supporters love Chol and what he brings. Don't want to lose sight of that.

Look we have supporters who loved him no matter what, so one eyed they wear an eye patch. But, you've just let a premiership slip. To be honest you were inferior to port. Any sniff you had was on the back of overumpiring. But the tone of the game port played was fueled by jack, how much who can say. ken definitely used it. On GF day last year I was really happy he made the final cut but in that game that was so close his smart arseness could have cost us. I turned to my brother and said eff him off. His ego has no bounds. And by the way him copping it on the chin, well what the hell else was there for him to do, ark up. I promise you he will be hated internally for that.

The Hawks were tipped for bottom of the ladder at the start of the year. It was a good year and happy to have Ginni. He will only get better off and on the field.

I liked this post because I agree but I also want to add that I think the vast majority of Hawks supporters love Chol and what he brings. Don't want to lose sight of that.
He is going to be so much fun watching. Absolutely love him.

Blake Hardwick had taken a strong mark, kicked to a free Hawthorn player in the corridor, but a Port player looking the other way, not even facing Hardwick, was struck in the back of the head by the kick. It bounced off the head and resulted in a goal. Probably went down as a smother.
The bounce of the ball didn’t go our way, but the umpiring our way in the second quarter was incredible. Overall the football gods evened things out. The better side won.

Look we have supporters who loved him no matter what, so one eyed they wear an eye patch. But, you've just let a premiership slip. To be honest you were inferior to port. Any sniff you had was on the back of overumpiring. But the tone of the game port played was fueled by jack, how much who can say. ken definitely used it. On GF day last year I was really happy he made the final cut but in that game that was so close his smart arseness could have cost us. I turned to my brother and said eff him off. His ego has no bounds. And by the way him copping it on the chin, well what the hell else was there for him to do, ark up. I promise you he will be hated internally for that.

You're clearly an imbecile.

Port were playing in front of their home crowd after an 80+ humiliation in front of the same home crowd last week. If you really think "See you in 14 days" was their main motivator , and a big reason we lost then you're an even bigger imbecile than I thought.

We lost because Port were embarrassed by their performance last week, and brought an intensity that made it hard for us to play our own game. We had few winners on the ground, but still managed to miss the win by a kick. Hinkley was very lucky Sicily missed. Worst finals coach of our generation whose players brought enough intensity to perhaps save his career. A proper coaching staff relies on system and game plan as their main tools, not bringing up childish taunts by oppo players on social media, that were not even directed to Port in any meaningful way.

BTW, coming to an opposition game day thread for a game they were knocked out of finals in, and telling us we only got close because of umpiring also makes you an imbecile. Are you Ken Hinkley's personality mentor?

TL/DR: You're an imbecile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're clearly an imbecile.

Port were playing in front of their home crowd after an 80+ humiliation in front of the same home crowd last week. If you really think "See you in 14 days" was their main motivator , and a big reason we lost then you're an even bigger imbecile than I thought.

We lost because Port were embarrassed by their performance last week, and brought an intensity that made it hard for us to play our own game. We had few winners on the ground, but still managed to miss the win by a kick. Hinkley was very lucky Sicily missed. Worst finals coach of our generation whose players brought enough intensity to perhaps save his career. A proper coaching staff relies on system and game plan as their main tools, not bringing up childish taunts by oppo players on social media, that were not even directed to Port in any meaningful way.

BTW, coming to an opposition game day thread for a game they were knocked out of finals in, and telling us we only got close because of umpiring also makes you an imbecile. Are you Ken Hinkley's personality mentor?

TL/DR: You're an imbecile.
I'm an imbecile just helping you to see the truth

Look we have supporters who loved him no matter what, so one eyed they wear an eye patch.
You have supporters who can't read. You have supporters who are known child molesters. You have supporters who, in short, support Collingwood.

A supporter base which contains people so stupid they think coming onto an opposition board after a close loss that only went against them because of a freak falcon and a goal post in the last few seconds, and expect discourse, you are a cretin of the highest order. Oh, for the person read this out loud for him, can you read it slowly.

I was several beers too many deep last night and I got real confused about prior opportunity.

Seemed like more than 3 times we had a player wrapped up immediately after taking possession and was pinged for htb but we got no such love going the other way.

Frustrating game of footy. We could never really grab the momentum and it felt like we were running uphill the whole game.

Yeah I know it's hurting. I was actually trying to say I get the hurt re jack. Anyway deny it, it's part of the 5 stages. It's sad that you had to resort to that. Perhaps I'm sadder. A good day to you
I love Jack, always will. He will be a hawthorn legend. So sorry he hurt you. Did he run over your dog?

Last night is probably a good way to end the year. Better than a big loss to Sydney.
Nah I think we didn’t play to our recent form & got out hunted for the most. Credit to Port for that & we got a bit of a dream run with the umps to get us back in the game. I would rather a loss in a prelim over a qf every time. The closer you get the more it hurts. And we'll never know if $yds would have beat us, let a lone a big loss.

We lost what should have been a 5 goal win because too many of our players (and a fair few supporters) thought the game was won before the first bounce.

This is utter bull$hit. If you bothered to listen to any of Sam Mitchell’s press conferences during the week he was well aware of the heat that Port would bring the heat and would be no walkover and highlighted on a number of occasions that Port did finish second on the ladder. Your post reeks of disrespect to our coach and the players. Give your potting if Ginnivan a rest it’s getting tedious.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This was obvious from the moment the story broke.

We lost what should have been a 5 goal win because too many of our players (and a fair few supporters) thought the game was won before the first bounce.

Again- a learning experience hopefully. But it hurts because we could have snatched a flag here.
It's funny how often young children resort to blame when things don't go their way. You immediately started the blame game. We had a remarkable season and you threw the teddies out of the cot and then looked for someone to blame for it.

Incredibly proud of our club.
Nothing but love, for Sam and the kids.
So many highlights and good times throughout the year.

too many players to name, coz I love them all. Did they us proud, and we should all feel so much happiness and joy. We are lucky to follow such a proud club. 2025 can’t come quick enough.

Read pages about Port being a better team, Ginni, Ken blah blah.

Was I the only one to think I hope that ‘falcon’ doesn’t cost us the game when it happened?

I struggle to see how one team is clearly the best team on the night and deserved to win when it was on the back of a lucky falcon and 2 posters in the dying minutes.

Anyway, what a season and f*** playing Port in Adelaide. 2 crazy unlucky losses in the one season v the same team.
I think the important qualifier here is on the night.

We are a much better team than them generally but if we don’t bring that level of play in the game we can be beaten.

It’s all about taking the next step from here. Play well all season next year finish top 4 and know from losing this it only takes one down game to be out.

Haven’t had a chance to read through the thread yet; so, apologies if I’m repeating views already expressed. That said, these are my thoughts on the morning after:

In the first few minutes, I got a distinct vibe that this might be similar to our loss in Geelong. Port were first to the ball and we didn’t handle the pressure they put on us when we had possession. The way we found something to get as close as we eventually did speaks volumes for our growth, even in the short period since that Cats loss, but, to be fair, Port were deserved winners last night.

The H&A loss to Port a few months ago spurred us on for the rest of 2024. I dare say the pain of this finals loss will have a galvanising effect for the years to come.

The first thought that came to mind when I woke up this morning was how the September losses to the Pies in 2011 and the Swans in 2012 were followed by our threepeat. I wouldn’t put it past this list, with a few tweaks and the support of the excellent coaching structure we now have in place, to achieve something not too dissimilar.

Congratulations and many thanks to the players, coaches, people behind the scenes - indeed everyone associated with the club - for giving us such a brilliant season to savour!

Time now for the players to enjoy a break, refresh, rejuvenate and return in a couple of months, raring to get stuck into a big pre-season. In the meantime, I wouldn’t be surprised if MM, Roughy, Sam et al have another surprise or two in store for us in the FA, trade and draft period…

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back