Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the falcon that happened which cost us a goal? I can’t believe I missed it or don’t remember.

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light for me on this.
We won a contest at chb and Hardwick , correctly went to switch and open play .....we had runners on that wing so were away with good possession.
His kick unfortunately hit Georgiadis in the head , rebounded backwards straight to 2 Port players waiting back . Goal .

It was a real killer as we had started to build momentum and I felt like we were starting to get on top in general play .

Luck wasn't with us on that occasion.

Even Rocky took a sequel to become champ. The season has by any standard, been an unqualified success. After we got our arse handed to us by the Suns was going to put some coin on us for the wooden spoon but thankfully didn’t. The positives of an early exit are Day, Sic & Frosty will return next season fully fit even if surgery is required Battle, Barrass and possibly 1 or 2 others enlist. Dear & the Wiz are 19, Weddle 20, Ginni & Serong 21 & Daisy is 23. Another pre-season, another level of fitness. Sam, as much as is humanly possible, will continue molding this team into a unit that the ‘orrible hawks’ (Lou the lip) of the 80’s would envy. We are a work in progress. A mistake is evidence that you tried to do something. A bad mistake is repeating it. I don’t think that’s in Sam’s DNA. I used to have a soft spot for Port’s coach, now I don’t know why. The worst retribution I can think of is that he continues to coach them in perpetuity. Both he and the supporter base are perfectly matched, much like sewage and ‘S’ bends. I’ve scrapped more intelligent, compassionate and empathetic things off the bottom of my shoe. I think Port pet dogs carry plastic bags around to clean up after their owners. Admittedly I can’t substantiate this because I don’t speak dog and I can’t decipher grunts. Hoping Brissie go all the way now because of the Hawthorn connections.

Last edited:

I wonder what motivation they'll need against Sydney.
Clearly they cant play well unless someone tweets something.
That was our big mistake.
Those damn tweets.
Isaac Heeney just posted on insta that he has has smashed avo, 2 pieces of gluten free bread and free range eggs for breakfast at Bondi .

Ken is fuming about this apparently.

Young crop will learn alot from the loss, you always need to respect ya opposition as it can bite ya in the back side. Loved the journey hopefully bigger and better next year. 2 big backs will help us and make us even stronger.

Isaac Heeney just posted on insta that he has has smashed avo, 2 pieces of gluten free bread and free range eggs for breakfast at Bondi .

Ken is fuming about this apparently.
Oh dont worry , he'll be majorly offended and port will come out firing over this.
Mate, he is one loss away from a sacking and he knows it. His carry on was completely selfish and classless.
Anyway, i think the return bout at the mcg next year will be very interesting. If he's still around next year I hope hawks supporters give him absolute hell from the moment he steps off the plane .

A couple of thoughts:

Strange lack of love for Blake Hardwick this morning. I thought he pretty much singlehandedly kept the score down in the first quarter, and his battle with Rioli was excellent. Ferocious competitor.

Port won fair and square but I was a bit surprised Sam didn't sic Finn on JHF to try to curb his impact. Had a great game did JHF

I think people would have looked more kindly on Hinkleys spray if it wasn't at the moment an absolute champion of the game was being chaired off. Classless by Ken.

Every single one of our guys will learn something about themselves, finals, and what they must do to take the next step.

Could not be prouder to be a 20 yr member of this great club.

We go again.

You're clearly an imbecile.

Port were playing in front of their home crowd after an 80+ humiliation in front of the same home crowd last week. If you really think "See you in 14 days" was their main motivator , and a big reason we lost then you're an even bigger imbecile than I thought.

We lost because Port were embarrassed by their performance last week, and brought an intensity that made it hard for us to play our own game. We had few winners on the ground, but still managed to miss the win by a kick. Hinkley was very lucky Sicily missed. Worst finals coach of our generation whose players brought enough intensity to perhaps save his career. A proper coaching staff relies on system and game plan as their main tools, not bringing up childish taunts by oppo players on social media, that were not even directed to Port in any meaningful way.

BTW, coming to an opposition game day thread for a game they were knocked out of finals in, and telling us we only got close because of umpiring also makes you an imbecile. Are you Ken Hinkley's personality mentor?

TL/DR: You're an imbecile.
man I wish I could Like this post 1000 times, perfectly summed up.

3. We have complained routinely about opposition sides saying “we played a bad game tonight” and not giving Hawthorn due credit. Maybe we should do that to Port?
Credit to Port for applying manic pressure.

Saying that pressure is only as effective as the team it’s being applied to lets it be. Last night we let it be very effective.

It got into the players heads and the stopped taking the right option and kept trying to do too much or just panic kicking.

We ride out their initial burst and it’s an easy win. Instead it took a long time for us to get into the game and bring more of our style of footy.

Yeah I know it's hurting. I was actually trying to say I get the hurt re jack. Anyway deny it, it's part of the 5 stages. It's sad that you had to resort to that. Perhaps I'm sadder. A good day to you
yes, you are sadder - you're the one who can't let go of Ginni.

**** off our board and mind your own business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about the 40m grubber kick into an open pocket by the Port player, which was deemed a throw-in?

I haven't seen one so egregious in years. It was the moment you knew a few of the umps were shitting their dacks.

The one when their defender punched it straight over the line in the last quarter was worse.

Game was over umpired in general all game, but whistle seemed to disappear late in a close game as usual. Umpires feel the pressure too and seem to not want to be the ones that pay the ‘game winning/losing’ decisions.

It was no shock to me that Port came out firing. They were embarrassed by last weeks lack of effort. They stopped us getting our hands on the footy by holding our players at stoppages, which they got away with a lot. Tactic worked a treat. Not sure it works against the Swans though.

Credit to Port as they forced the game to be played on their terms, not ours. Credit to our lads as they never gave in.

Sicily was clearly emotional in the rooms afterwards, but this loss is not on you Sic. The little things that matter did not go our way all night. Hardwick’s falcon, and the bounce of the ball in general all night just didn’t work in our favour. It had that feeling that even if Sic kicked that goal that Port would have still snatched it in the dying seconds.

I’ve had so much fun watching this team develop this year. Disappointed for the boys, but looking forward to what they can deliver going forward.

Get off our board.

"helping us to see the truth"...any idea how much of a w***er you sound?
Anyone who ventures to another board after a loss (in particular) with negative comments could never see what a w*nker they've been.

I'll take as many potshots at oppo fans that come on here to troll, but I would never in my wildest dreams think of venturing over to their board after a close loss and post anything.

Guys you can't tell me you aren't annoyed at jack after that. When his snap fell short, reminded me off his snap in the GF. That part of him thats too big for his boots, it can piss you off. I am a free spirit and loved lots of it but in the GF last year when he snapped when I believe steele was telling him to drop punt it I thought as good as you are your ego could cost us this.
Base on your passive aggressive post Ginni coming to hawks is still living rent free in your head.
Sticks out like a sore thumb champ.

Guys you can't tell me you aren't annoyed at jack after that. When his snap fell short, reminded me off his snap in the GF. That part of him thats too big for his boots, it can piss you off. I am a free spirit and loved lots of it but in the GF last year when he snapped when I believe steele was telling him to drop punt it I thought as good as you are your ego could cost us this.
Nope, nothing in it.

For all those blaming Ginnivan for the lass, I hope next season after the game before Port Adelaide, he tweets, "We've got the bye next week. Well earned rest. Who's up for some fun?"

Port without its starting half back line pretty much shut down our starting half forward line. That's the game there imo. Gotta give them credit for that - I didn't expect that. Thought they'd beat us around the ball and that they'd struggle to score but we'd be able to exploit that part of the game. For a moment in the third it looked like it was gonna happen but it didn't.

Why do I wish that our boys had gone the biff on those ****wits Hinkley and Rozee last night?

I wonder if we didn't have a 300 gamer to salute the situation would have escalated?

Yeah reckon it would have if not for Breust.

Don't normally post on oppo boards but congrats on a fantastic year. Hitting the post twice and the Sicily grubber that missed from close range, all in the last quarter, ended your dream.

In a wider view your 0-5 start cruelled you. Even the first Port game you lost after giving up a big lead would've made the difference between getting the double chance. A flag would've been in reach if you'd managed that.

Anyway outstanding effort that Hawk's supporters should be proud of. Sam Mitchell should be coach of the year.

Finally I look forward to the Hawks Port game next year, hopefully at the G. Maybe the Hawks can squeeze Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell on the bench with Dipper as a 5 minute Sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back