Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

They finished 2nd on the ladder & beat us twice this year. Make it make sense
It was our poor start to this year then throwing away a couple of wins that prevented us finishing well above them.

They also got incredibly lucky this year and fell over the line in a number of games.

We also should have beaten them in both games. These losses have been on our inexperience rather than Ports ability. The challenge for us now is to build on our form for next year and bring our best footy all year.

I think a few people are over complicating it and arguing for nothing. We are a young emerging team that hasn't had that kind of pressure thrown at us before. Now they've seen it and felt it and I don't think it will happen again. They'll come back, train harder than before. We will be ready next time. Add to that the hurt of this year's loss, throw in some more talent and we're good.

We won a contest at chb and Hardwick , correctly went to switch and open play .....we had runners on that wing so were away with good possession.
His kick unfortunately hit Georgiadis in the head , rebounded backwards straight to 2 Port players waiting back . Goal .

It was a real killer as we had started to build momentum and I felt like we were starting to get on top in general play .

Luck wasn't with us on that occasion.
Thanks for jogging my memory, I don’t realise that came off the Port players head. Makes it even more unlucky. Great mark by Hardwick though haha

Adelaide is just a mediocre nothingness. If not wasn’t for the Snowtown Murders, 1970s gay hate crimes, the atomic cloud blowing across in the 50s when the wind changed and the Beaumont children mystery, there would be nothing to talk about. Oh I forgot Rowie and Jars sports store - retail Mecca.

Disgusting lesser people.
Are you serious? I'm from Adelaide, I have family and friends still in Adelaide not to mention there are plenty of Hawks in here from Adelaide. Are we lesser people??

F*ck off with that shit. :thumbsdown:

Couldn't be any more proud of the boys.

They had their game largely taken away by immense port pressure and still only lost by the width of the goal post, at their home ground.

If you are going to loose in a final, that is the best sort of loss to spur the team onto next year. That loss will hurt, so they can now use that to push even harder next year. That game also showed absolutely max pressure levels.

• Newc was huge again, will only get better and will be one of the best players in the league
  • Watson and Dear, in their first years just have so much improvement left in them. Especially scary how good Watson can be.
  • Gini, CMac, Mas, Weddle, are all so young and will be so much better in the years to come.
  • Add in Day, Lewis, Barras and Battle to that team (4x A graders). We are going to be hard to beat.

Can't wait until next year.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shout out to Harry Morrison. Quasi-whipping boy on these boards but he’s Mr Cool and had a commendable finals series. Great stuff Harry!

We really missed having Day and/or Mackenzie in the midfield. They both are very clean and quick with ball in hand and we missed that. Our mids seemed either a step too slow or rushed most of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should give the head ****ed thread another run around based on the pile on towards Ginni on the MB. Pathetic enabling of Hinkley's behaviour bit of kicking us while we are down and getting over the loss. Bagging Lewis, Hodge and even Dunstall for quite rightly dressing down Ken's post match behaviour. Even Mitchell's presser, It's hilarious how much the rest of the supporters in the comp are scared of us again that they are resorting to this sort of pathetic nah nah nah nah nah attitude.

Should give the head ****ed thread another run around based on the pile on towards Ginni on the MB. Pathetic enabling of Hinkley's behaviour bit of kicking us while we are down and getting over the loss. Bagging Lewis, Hodge and even Dunstall for quite rightly dressing down Ken's post match behaviour. Even Mitchell's presser, It's hilarious how much the rest of the supporters in the comp are scared of us again that they are resorting to this sort of pathetic nah nah nah nah nah attitude.
Some absolute bizarre takes on the incident in the media

Avoid the radio media as well then, and the callers. Apart from a few lone voices, Ginnivan cost us a flag and Sicily and Mitchell are as much at fault as Ken.

Avoid the radio media as well then, and the callers. Apart from a few lone voices, Ginnivan cost us a flag and Sicily and Mitchell are as much at fault as Ken.
People are totally missing that it should have been a celebration ( despite the loss ) of a 300 game champion of the AFL .
Yet the moment got hijacked by an oppo coach acting like a teenager .

Hinkley a flog
Does anyone have a transcript of what he said in the lead up to Punky’s guard of honour. As a victorious coach all he had to do was walk off without gibbing off to retain the morale high ground. I’m afraid that Mr Hinkley has fallen to the bottom of the barrel as far as my regard for AFL coaches go.👎

Disappointing to have lost, but find myself taking it surprisingly well. Probably the result of the club having massively exceeded my expectations not just at the start of the year, but almost all the way through the season.

Was an odd game, felt like we were dominated all over the ground, but lost by a kick going a few inches too far to the left in the dying seconds.

Reality is that 6th is probably about right. The loss to Cats in Geelong and not holding the lead against GWS show we still have ample room for improvement. Some of those things are down to pure experience and we just didn't have it this year. Personally I'm a lot more disappointed about our first Port loss. Win that, and we finish 2nd, and have two certain home finals to start the finals series. That loss put us in a very poor spot to have a run at a flag this year. Of course all clubs can point at narrow losses that if they'd won could have changed everything, but nothing as ludicrous as conceding two goals within the last 15 seconds of the game.

Anyway, more experience will help us cope with the kind of pressure Port brought last night, and even with that, we still had our chances. The unknown for me moving forward is how much of this year was down to list talent versus a very cohesive team all playing with a happy enthusiasm. The latter can wane quickly, but I'm hopeful Mitchell knows how to keep that rolling next year.

I hope Harry Morrison has cemented his spot in the side now. Not flashy, but struggle to recall many mistakes from him in what was a high-mistake game. Basically a great player under pressure, almost always making the right decision. Has only played more than 15 game seasons twice, but hopefully gets a full season worth of games next year without trips back to the VFL.

Looking to see Sicily with a fully fit shoulder next year. Did amazingly well despite being hampered (although to be honest, it was hard to notice the last two weeks, a bit more obvious in some of H&A games after the dislocation).

Also hope Lewis can play a full season next year. I love Chol, and despite his two finals being below his best for the year, think he'll be even better as a second tall. If Lewis can stay fit all year, Gunston's 1 year contract might be a lot more coaching than playing.

So good we are able to attract free agents/trade targets again. Having to do everything via the draft is painfully slow, and less reliable once you've got the base built, which I think we do now.

Well done to the club, Sam and the players on a great year. Hopefully we carry the hurt through pre-season and come up with a better than 0-5 start in 2025! Season opener against Port would be fun, can see the AFL liking the idea of putting that in the fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back