Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The one good thing about Hinkley and the Port players reaction post game...it almost guarantees Shaun Burgoyne's sons are going to the Hawks.

1 club has class, the other a culture of thugs.

Read Burgoyne comments an AFL.com article...Port may think it's won the battle but it's the Hawks with our 13 premierships that win the war.

Onwards and upwards Hawkers.

The one good thing about Hinkley and the Port players reaction post game...it almost guarantees Shaun Burgoyne's sons are going to the Hawks.

1 club has class, the other a culture of thugs.

Unfortunately I suspect home will trump class and culture. Similarly pessimistic regarding Hodge's offspring. I guess we'd need to be at opposite ends of the ladder to even give us a chance of trumping the home state pull, as winning also trumps class and culture (just look at Ken for proof of that).

Anyone else noticing everyone on social media saying we got carried by the umpires?

I know I'm a bit biased being a Hawks fan, but was I watching a different game? Thought we got reamed by the umpires in the 1st Qtr, as well as reamed throughout the year in various games. Ffs i don't want this bs FreeKickHawthorn narrative again, where then umpires are too scared to pay valid frees for us.

Kenny Boy and the PAFC have just made themselves a very powerful enemy. (Hopefully PA don’t give him the arse)

Sammy was pretty raw about the way that ****wit carried on after the game and the disappointment about the lack of respect and not being gracious winners, not to mention disrespect for Punky.

Sammy will not let our boys forget it and will drum it into them to learn from it…..I for one say bring it on in 2025.

Last edited:
Anyone notice Ken talking to Mitchell after the game? Sam's reaction showed he wasn't too impressed with what Ken said.
Yeah I did. Given what was front of mind for him, he must have said something along the lines of “ginnivan cost you the game”. Sam had this weird smirk on his face.

As disappointing as the loss was - last night's game will be the game of the finals for me. A throwback to how finals used to be played when I was growing up (sans the dirty hits).
Proper finals pressure and seriously desperate tackling - players having a fraction of the usual time to think and dispose of the footy.

Port really out-pressured us in the first quarter but I was proud of how we recovered, and ramped up our pressure and tackling. Should stand us in good stead for 2025.

Also pleased to see my favourite player, Finn Maginness, run his guts out and cap a good game with a great last quarter goal.

FWIW, I think the Hinkley saga at the end is overblown and reflects poorly on everyone - including both coaches.

If Sam is going to "tick off" Ginnivan being a disrespectful smartarse to Port during the week, you can't then have a massive sook when someone from Port (coach or otherwise) gives a little back. If you dish it out, you have to be prepared to take it. End of. Otherwise you're a sook.

The fact that Hinkley gave it back with a smile on his face and a silly aeroplane gesture just makes the faux outrage seem all the more ridiculous. And sooky.

And yes, Hinkley looked an absolute nob. Because he is a bit of a nob. And he may well still have his card punched in a week's time.

Anyone else noticing everyone on social media saying we got carried by the umpires?

I know I'm a bit biased being a Hawks fan, but was I watching a different game? Thought we got reamed by the umpires in the 1st Qtr, as well as reamed throughout the year in various games. Ffs i don't want this bs FreeKickHawthorn narrative again, where then umpires are too scared to pay valid frees for us.
When it comes to umpiring I'm usually pretty balanced. Q1 was a disgrace. Q2 we had a few 50/50s go our way (though I'd prefer all 50/50s to have no whistle in finals), and Q3 and Q4 I thought port overall got the run of the green but in the end I don't think they had that much of an impact.

But, like you, I'm stunned at this narrative.

25-23 free kicks in favour of Port. How that can result in us being carried by the umps is completely laughable. They got 2 goals in the 1st QTR from dubious free kicks but because we got a few in the 2nd QTR somehow that took over the narrative for the rest of the game even though they received way more HTB decisions than we did with no consistency the other way. Do they want Port to have 50 free kicks? Are we that undisciplined? Ridiculous desperate arguments. Fact is we were bottom 4 for frees for this year so explain to the numpties how exactly do we get a free ride?. Head ****ed is your only answer simple as that. Sorry for the change of font btw.

We lost what should have been a 5 goal win because too many of our players (and a fair few supporters) thought the game was won before the first bounce.

Amusing - you claim supporters are being arrogant in expecting a win and in the same sentence said we should have won by 5 goals.

The stupid left goal post denied us twice! But seriously - Sicily and Moore would normally get those if not for a bit more composure.

Overall a good season given our horrid start and we are starting to see what is possible.

Go hawks

Last edited:
Gee whiz. So proud how we fought that game out last night.

Willie Rioli was enormous for them and one of the most influential players on the ground in a tight final. Almost everything he touched turned to gold for them. It felt like he had a direct hand in about 6 of their goals last night.

Ports pressure on us last night was amazing. We were never allowed space and every possesion was earnt the whole night. We did so well to hang in there despite our running game and space being completely shut down.

That was a real AFL final and a huge learning experience for a lot of our players now for what to expect when September rolls around next time.

Watching Georgy throw his weight around and be a big presence for them shows us how important having Barrass will be for us.

What a ride 2024 has been. Go Hawks.

This was obvious from the moment the story broke.

We lost what should have been a 5 goal win because too many of our players (and a fair few supporters) thought the game was won before the first bounce.

Again- a learning experience hopefully. But it hurts because we could have snatched a flag here.
Is this supposed to be a piss take?
You say a few of our players and many of our supporters thought the game was won before the bounce.
Directly after you said “it should have been a 5 goal win”
How about you take it as a learning experience about making a post that was rubbish.

Big congrats on the season, and commiserations on the loss. Would’ve liked nothing better than you to knock those frauds over. Shame they bothered to turn up this week.

Got an exciting future ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just saying 2009 we started the year with a disastrous amount of players out of the side, even then we nearly made finals.

Everyone was calling us chockers and Bradbury after 2009, even after making finals every year, prelims and Grand Finals.

I don't expect us to do a Fremantle or Adelaide, because this team has enormous confidence, only lost 4 games since 28th of April, and three of those losses by 3 points or less.

I know we want the same thing here. All I'm saying is don't get your 'Hawks top 4 in 2025' tattoo just yet.

Take it from this guy:

1726292321128.png

Hawks x Pies 🤝 2 most exciting teams in the comp i reckon
Except for when we play one another 😂 we seriously cannot find a way to beat you consistently this century, huge bogey side. We usually look like a bunch of blokes playing for the first time in our lives whenever we meet you for whatever reason.

Your football this year has been so great to watch. A full squad, a few key acquisitions and it’s hard to see you not contending for a good five years.

This was obvious from the moment the story broke.

Again- a learning experience hopefully. But it hurts because we could have snatched a flag here.
We lost what you thought should have been an easy win...because too many people thought it should be an easy win?

I see a recurring theme in your posts.

Kenny was embarrassed by how poorly Port played. Of course he would claim motivation from Ginnivan's tweet because it diverts attention from how badly they played against the Cats.

There was a post from someone last night about how Kenny never got over the 2014 preliminary final. I bet that's absolutely correct. Nurses a grudge about how that game ended.

I think a few people are over complicating it and arguing for nothing. We are a young emerging team that hasn't had that kind of pressure thrown at us before. Now they've seen it and felt it and I don't think it will happen again. They'll come back, train harder than before. We will be ready next time. Add to that the hurt of this year's loss, throw in some more talent and we're good.

We lost what you thought should have been an easy win...because too many people thought it should be an easy win?

I see a recurring theme in your posts.
I will never understand the thought that confident supporters affects anything to do with how a game is played.

I would like to apologise to the Hawthorn Football Club that we lost this game, I thought we would win it and that was clearly the motivation Port needed.

I will think better of my actions next time.

Anyway I'm Guna stop talking about ken until next year when we play them next, got to remain cool, port came out the blocks very hard, a couple of our players didn't have great games and the game didn't go out way, it happens, beware the wounded dog with nothing to lose. Great season Hawkas alot to look forward to next year so proud to call you my club, up the Hawkas!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back