Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Well at least Ken has a legacy in the game now .....as the first senior coach ever to do 'aeroplane' moves post game .

Bold statergy but when your not winning flags you need a fall back.

Didn't need to fine him either , the embarrassment and coaching Port are more than enough.
Everyone can move on now

IMHO we are not going to go the next step and win a premiership with Mabior as the main power forward, we need someone who can clunk marks and make less errors in bigger pressure games. So this is where I guess Mitch Lewis/Calsher Dears development is crucial. Or recruiting a Georgiades or Jeremy Cameron if one can be found…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chol was never brought in to be number 1 tho.
Through injury he was.
Need to play sic or battle down there with dear and chol until lewis is back

yeah would've been nice to give the likes of Dutchy, Vanders, Dixon, Harford, Lekkas, Thompson, Hay etc a flag

Lekkas and Dixon,Smith and Vanders were the ones I wished were with us when we won the flag in 08.

Lekkas retiring early with a minor stroke and Dixon and Smith a year early.

Just saw some footage on Footy Furnace.
Gee Chol didn't offer much of an aerial contest early in the game when we needed to make a statement.

Hoping Sic can play fwd from R1. We need help up there.
I consider Sic the best medium defender of his generation but I also agree we desperately need him down forward next year (at least until Lewis comes back which will be a while off yet). Ive often said that pound for pound Sic would be one of the strongest players in the AFL these days and he is great at using his body to hold his ground against much bigger opponents.

To be fair to Chol we didn't get him in to be a key forward, he's a handy second tall / relief ruck only.

Swans player, "No point this week. They're way too good. Wish we were that good." Kenny-boy rests players for the grand final, presumably.

Hold on, Ken's no dill: "Aw, they're tryin' to trick us, I bet." ...so professional, so astute, so perceptive.

(No doubt, 'Conduct Unbecoming' should be the Port motto.)

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just had an interesting thought. After being pipped in an epic prelim at G by the Hawks a decade ago, Port were flag favorites with the bookies going into 2015 with an overwhelming "this Power side will be around the mark for a long time" feel. We missed finals. Will be interesting to see how the Hawks go with some legitimate expectations going into 2025. I get the feeling with Sam Mitchell at the helm you are pretty well placed to not get ahead of yourselves.
Yeah, Sam Mitchell's attitude is what makes me hopeful we won't just stagnate like so many teams in similar positions before us. Some were calling him a sook for being emotional in his post match presser but I've really enjoyed the fact that he isn't afraid to show when he's genuinely hurting from a loss (and he also clearly composed himself by the end of that press conference).

After each of our worst losses this season after the first 5 rounds (vs GC, Port, Geelong and GWS) we responded in a huge way the following week and Sam Mitchell is constantly trying to improve the list and gamestyle in any way he can.

Watching the game again it's pretty obvious we lost it across the half forward line with our lack of contested marking really hurting us down forward.

The problem is if you lost the marking contest across half back the opposition just slingshots it straight back over your head (which is why Scrimmers was so good for us doing this exact same thing).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: the Hinkley incident (and apologies if the point has been made), does anyone else find the 'Hawthorn have dished it out all year and need to be able to take it' narrative from the media and opposition fans a bit disingenuous? I can't really recall an incident where we've dished it out to anyone? The closest is probably a handful of celebrations directed at opposing fans (who undoubtedly gave it back to us during the game anyway!). Seems like such a strawman.

Not to mention the few having a crack at Mitchell for 'sooking it up' but at same time excusing Ken for being emotional in the moment. So, the emotion card only gets played one way? The whole discourse is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.

I don't think Samy would take that back Robbo

Ooo do we post that on the whiteboard when playing Essendon robbo?

You are discussing a club which did have a ‘substance ‘ issue, but 30 years earlier got tame Essendon supporting cops to investigate hawthorn for what turned out to eucalyptus oil.

Of course it was a ruse to disrupt hawthorns grand final preparation by his hero Kevin sheedy.

How far to go back robbo? Who poisoned Phar Lap?

Told everyone here a couple weeks ago to not frap over Kane's musings about Hawthorn, he sets it up and then goes whack once the opportunity rises.
Calling Ginni a clown and Sicily crying sook is from the mouth of his brother who feeds him info about what their club thinks !! They better win next week and make a GF for a change. İmagine Hawthorn having a coach going into his 13th season without a GF appearance!!
Hopefully we play these flogs twice next year. Line in the sand part 2 incoming. Not for fisticuffs, more that we bury them with our game.

Told everyone here a couple weeks ago to not frap over Kane's musings about Hawthorn, he sets it up and then goes whack once the opportunity rises.
Calling Ginni a clown and Sicily crying sook is from the mouth of his brother who feeds him info about what their club thinks !! They better win next week and make a GF for a change. İmagine Hawthorn having a coach going into his 13th season without a GF appearance!!
Hopefully we play these flogs twice next year. Line in the sand part 2 incoming. Not for fisticuffs, more that we bury them with our game.
Could not have said that any better.

Could not have said that any better.

No problem, he’s in the media, that’s his job. He’s not a Hawthorn supporter, never was and never will be. He’s also a 300 game champion of the Power and has an older brother currently employed by Port - who could lose his job if Josh Carr takes over.

He was (and still is) a strong supporter of Sam Mitchell. We had our chances but Port were by far the better team on Friday.

ginni made it personal towards port & it drove their motivation all week... right or wrong. it's a few % they shouldn't have had in a very tight game.

the game is mostly mental. anyway we move on & learn.
It was amazing how his five word post made a kick hit the post. He's a genius.

No problem, he’s in the media, that’s his job. He’s not a Hawthorn supporter, never was and never will be. He’s also a 300 game champion of the Power and has an older brother currently employed by Port - who could lose his job if Josh Carr takes over.

He was (and still is) a strong supporter of Sam Mitchell. We had our chances but Port were by far the better team on Friday.
Reckons it was their best win in 20 years.

Is that you Chad.

Reckons it was their best win in 20 years.
Says a bit about them as a club . Roles reversed it would have been our best win of the last few months .

Totally frothing over a semi final win for the side that finished 2nd

Says a bit about them as a club . Roles reversed it would have been our best win of the last few months .

Totally frothing over a semi final win for the side that finished 2nd

To be fair, the 2001 Semi Final was probably our best win from the ‘91 flag right through to the 2008 GF.

But, we won that coming from 17 points down at 3/4 time, during the Ansett strike with a team of absolute spuds.

With a decent coach Port are arguably the most talented team in the AFL, playing on their home deck against the second youngest team in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back